Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
rvh

!J1939 No Data

I have a 2009 Itasca Meridian with a Cummings 350. The starter batteries died while sitting in my driveway. I replaced the batteries; first time I put one in backwards and quickly saw the problem. After putting in new batteries (which are fully charged) the RV would not start. I get power; the display reads !J1939 No Data; and when I turn the key it seems to kill the power (display goes blank and radio power goes off). I cannot start the rig. Is there a way to get it started so I can take it for repair?
rvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2020, 12:45 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2

Sorry your first post is about problems .

When you turn the key from the run to the start position , the power will drop for the radio etc. But if you have chassis battery power in the dash items like the headlights, that are not ignition system powered, should stay on . If the headlights go out; with the ignition in the start position; you have a connection problem.
Does your Allison shift pad light up showing " N " for neutral ?
The Cummins ECM , has as many a five fuses protecting it , if by backwards you fed 24 volts into the system any number of fuses could have blown .
If the ECM isn't properly powered up , you won't see any Data from the diagnostic connection.

Is your coach on a Freightliner chassis ?
Old 09-28-2020, 05:54 AM   #3

Time to start checking fuses.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:52 AM   #4
rvh

Hi Skip426, thanks. I'll have to try with the headlights. I don't see any blown fuses or popped breakers, but I'm not sure where I would find the 4 or 5 fuses that protect the ECM so I may be missing something. I do get gauges lighting up and I have 12.5V running to the Solenoid and starter. I get nothing on the transmission. No N no D no R nothing. I'm assuming that's my J1939 problem. Would you know where I can find the fuses that protect the ECM?
Old 09-28-2020, 06:54 AM   #5
rvh

Thanks WildCard. I've checked all the breakers and fuses that I could find, but I'm likely overlooking some that I may be unaware of. I need to find the fuses that protect the ECM and TCM...
Old 09-28-2020, 07:35 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
On the positive cable connection of chassis batteries, there should be 2 smaller gauge wires that are for engine/transmission ECM. There is a fuse holder a few inches from the connection, most of the time you can see the fuse holder laying on top of battery.

No start and no J1939 after battery replacement tells me the ECM wires didn't get reconnected, or when you hooked up batteries backwards the fuses blew.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:56 AM   #7
rvh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
On the positive cable connection of chassis batteries, there should be 2 smaller gauge wires that are for engine/transmission ECM. There is a fuse holder a few inches from the connection, most of the time you can see the fuse holder laying on top of battery.

No start and no J1939 after battery replacement tells me the ECM wires didn't get reconnected, or when you hooked up batteries backwards the fuses blew.
Hi mackwrench; I checked around the battery compartment for a fuse holder and couldn't find one. Pic attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200928_094915.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	302623  
Old 09-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #8

Somewhere in the rear of the coach , there should be a rear power distribution/fuse box , that could look like the item with the two white tags in photo one , second photo shows cover removed . Fuses ENG ECU ( Electronic Control Unit) are for the Cummins module.

Is your coach on a Freightliner chassis ?
If so getting wiring info from Freightliner would be a first step .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0506 (640x384).jpg
Views:	104
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	302636   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0507 (640x384).jpg
Views:	92
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	302637  

Old 09-28-2020, 10:05 AM   #9

My speed reading needs work .. Just noticed , on re-reading your post , that your Allison shift pad has no display , until you find that issue you won't get the motor started.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:25 AM   #10
rvh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post

Found it!!! Thanks for the replies. I had 2 blown fuses in a fuse box that was hidden behind a breaker panel in the rear drivers side of the bus. Removed the lower part of the panel and removed an unmarked cover and there were the missing fuses! 2 were blown: the engine battery fuse and the TCM battery fuse. I apparently blew them when I arced the batteries installing them. Thanks again, I'm back on the road
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fusebox.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	302641  
Old 09-28-2020, 01:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvh View Post
Found it!!! Thanks for the replies. I had 2 blown fuses in a fuse box that was hidden behind a breaker panel in the rear drivers side of the bus. Removed the lower part of the panel and removed an unmarked cover and there were the missing fuses! 2 were blown: the engine battery fuse and the TCM battery fuse. I apparently blew them when I arced the batteries installing them. Thanks again, I'm back on the road
WHY ! the manufacturers decide these boxes have to be hidden is anybody's guess. Glad you're mobile , and I'll be keeping a copy of your photo to prod other members to keep looking for remote fuse boxes anytime they have similar issues .
BTW; Was there a decal on the inside of the cover , listing the fuse uses ?
Or was there labeling next to each fuse ?
In either case could you, please, post a close up , of them for future identification .
Old 09-28-2020, 01:32 PM   #12
rvh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
WHY ! the manufacturers decide these boxes have to be hidden is anybody's guess. Glad you're mobile , and I'll be keeping a copy of you photo to prod other members to keep looking for remote fuse boxes anytime they have similar issues .
BTW; Was there a decal on the inside of the cover , listing the fuse uses ?
Or was there labeling next to each fuse ?
In either case could you, please, post a close up , of them for future identification .
Yep; on the inside cover there was labeling (attached), of course I just pulled every fuse and visually checked to see if it was blown. Definitely frustrated that none of the documentation for the rig identified that fuse panel and the rig itself also gave no indication. Go figure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	labels.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	228.2 KB
ID:	302669  
Old 09-28-2020, 04:27 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvh View Post
Yep; on the inside cover there was labeling (attached), of course I just pulled every fuse and visually checked to see if it was blown. Definitely frustrated that none of the documentation for the rig identified that fuse panel and the rig itself also gave no indication. Go figure.

For future endeavors. A 12v test light will aid you tremendously in determining fuses blown without pulling every fuse.

I am glad you found the issue.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:23 PM   #14

Put those old fuses in a frame...they save you thousands of $s.