Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2022, 11:14 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Life / Life Span of a VGT Turbo

Good morning good folk of IRV2,
I have a 2005 HR with an ISB 300 B series and am curious about the life span of the turbo and what you have experienced.

I just finished a 700-mile trip halfway down the west coast and back with no issues. Jumped in the RV to go east a week later and got a VGT actuator code.

I'm at 97,000 miles. I've pulled and cleaned the turbo and actuator, and all is good - right now. The current recommendation is to replace both turbo and actuator even though they spool up fine and create about 28 lbs of boost. The cost is 7k plus.

Secondly, do you have to replace both? Anybody here replace just the actuator?

Thanks in advance!

Jimbob
Jimbob1058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2022, 07:25 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you're handy enough to remove and clean the actuator, I'd be willing to bet you can replace the whole thing for far less than $7K.

If the VGT is going bad, there are replacements and rebuild kits for those as well. Personally, I'd check for shaft play and oil leaks through to the compressor side and rebuild the turbo and actuator or replace the actuator itself before I went with a new unit altogether. There's really no reason to buy a new turbo unless the shaft play gets so bad that you eat up a housing. Rebuild kits are ~$125 for that turbo (assuming you have a Holset HE300VG).
Scepter40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 07:31 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scepter40 View Post
If you're handy enough to remove and clean the actuator, I'd be willing to bet you can replace the whole thing for far less than $7K.

If the VGT is going bad, there are replacements and rebuild kits for those as well. Personally, I'd check for shaft play and oil leaks through to the compressor side and rebuild the turbo and actuator or replace the actuator itself before I went with a new unit altogether. There's really no reason to buy a new turbo unless the shaft play gets so bad that you eat up a housing. Rebuild kits are ~$125 for that turbo (assuming you have a Holset HE300VG).
Oh dear. You must rebuild as the HE300VG is not available anywhere in the free world. I just went through a month of me as well as the shop trying to find that turbo. Cummins has it on an indefinite back order. But there are rebuild kits available if it's a matter of gaskets and seals. Please see Diesel Turbo Redux
Sgt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 10:42 AM   #4

Look at Circuit Board Medics:

https://circuitboardmedics.com/cummins/

They sell rebuilt actuators AND in the deal they rent you a tool that calibrates it!
deprived is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 07:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt B View Post
Oh dear. You must rebuild as the HE300VG is not available anywhere in the free world. I just went through a month of me as well as the shop trying to find that turbo. Cummins has it on an indefinite back order. But there are rebuild kits available if it's a matter of gaskets and seals. Please see Diesel Turbo Redux
Had my VGT turbo rebuilt in Edmonton Alberta.
Cost was $1200.00cad.\
Bought a rebuilt actuator from them for $900.00
They installed and calibrated the actuator to the turbo.

Bolt it back on and good to go.
basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 01:35 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball View Post
Had my VGT turbo rebuilt in Edmonton Alberta.
Cost was $1200.00cad.\
Bought a rebuilt actuator from them for $900.00
They installed and calibrated the actuator to the turbo.

Bolt it back on and good to go.
Good to know. What shop did your work?
RoadTrip2084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:23 PM   #7

GCL Diesel N/W Edmonton 15842- 112 ave Edmonton
Did a great job on Turbo, Cummins installed it.
It was my Turbo from my coach.
Old 09-28-2022, 07:26 PM   #8

I think they have a shop in Calgary.
My Turbo was in good shape, just sooted up. If you have a EGR valve, remove and clean. It will soot up also and seize the shaft and throw a code. Your ISB does not run very well. One from Cummins $900.00.
Remove( 4 bolts and 1 clamp) Its on the top of the engine.
Remove electric motor( 4 screws)
Soak in simple green over night.
Activate shaft
Drain simple green
Blow out any moisture
Re install
Easy job.

The turbo and the egr valve work hand in hand.
Remember: It is a Diesel, DRIVE IT HARD
Old 09-29-2022, 07:18 AM   #9

Good morning all!
We just returned from a 3,000-mile journey from Washington through the smoke-filled valleys and hills of Idaho, Oregon and down through Nevada. We stopped in Arizona for several days and made a three-day run back to Washington.

Had Cummins clean the actuator and ran fine for the first leg. Second leg we stopped for petrol and when I restarted the check engine light was on indicating the sticking VGT had returned. Made it to our sleeping spot and let the mill cool down for the night. Woke to no check engine and normal operation. I've learned that if I organize around running for the day and fueling up first thing in the morning there are no check engine lights. Something about the cooling of the turbo is amiss and will need to be gone through now that I'm home. The good thing is I have a way to drive at distance without being in limp mode. I did find a new turbo in Arizona for 2,600 complete with VGT. If it comes to that at least it's better than 7k. I've been using VMSpc software to monitor the mill temp, oil pressure, boost, RPM and some other parameters. Interestingly, it gives fictitious codes that do not cross. Good for the basics but not for reliable troubleshooting.

I'll share more when we get things sorted.

Jimbob
Jimbob1058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 05:15 PM   #10

When you turn the key on the actuator moves to its home position. It must be able to go to the home position. Have someone turn on the key and you will hear the actuator move , looking for the home position. If it cannot move to home position in 10 sec, it will throw you a code.
My turbo was seized and would not let the actuator move. If your turbo is seized via soot
in the good position, it will run and create boost. In bad position, engine will not run.

When the actuator was pulled from turbo(oil and water cooled) the turbo would not slide on the slide rings. Seized solid. Once turbo was removed and taken to the rebuild shop all parts were fine. Soot was the problem. New bearings and seals and a good cleaning ready to be matched up with actuator.
The question is do you install the old actuator or install a rebuilt one. I choose to have a rebuilt one installed and calibrated to the turbo. This calibration is a must do!!!!!!!!
Bolt back on and away we go.

Good luck

Tags
turbo