Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2020, 06:01 PM   #1

Lift Pump Motor

Hello everyone hope your all well.
Hey im looking for a hook up on a lift pump for my 2003 Holiday Rambler with the 8.3 ISC. I have a part # of 5362269 I can get one from Cummins local for $444.93 however thru the discount truck parts they want over $500. I just need the motor, it doesn't even have to work, I just need it to not leak. (I have a FASS system pushing fuel thru it)
I even have the new gasket that goes between the motor and pump, however the leak appears to be coming thru the connector plug. Is there any legit parts houses out there that anyone knows of.
*and I have already tightened the three bolts* Thank You
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2020, 06:28 PM   #2
TR4

Why are pushing fuel through it? Just bypass it, it’s been working for me with no problems for over four years.

Bill
Old 11-02-2020, 08:45 PM   #3

How can the lift pump leak through the 12V motor? Either the gasket between them is leaking or the actual pump has a bad seal at the input shaft.
I would do as TR4 said and disconnect the 12V plug to the lift pump motor.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:54 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Just disconnect the two input/output lines and bypass the lift pump with a male/male 10/10 or 8/8 jic fitting, depending on what yours uses. Most likely 10/10.
The return lines can still utilize the original lift pump manifold.
Good to go.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:03 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
I would clean the area up with some brake cleaner and verify it is leaking thru the electrical plug. I tore a pump apart a few years ago and I don't see how it is leaking there.
I have a FASS pump and I took the lift pump out of the circuit.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:38 AM   #6

bypassing the pump

Morning everyone, so to bypass the lift pump, so I can see disconnecting the pressure side due to the type of fuel line that uses real fittings. However due to MY return line is a Banjo fitting on top of the lift pump I see no way to do that.
My thought is the return line is not pressurized, would there be a leak if I left the return line connected, then to just bypasse the pressure side hose. A buddy of mine is willing to mill a block off plate so I can remove the motor and just bolt the piece in place of the motor, which im surprised how no one has come out with a block off kit yet.
Its funny how this pump is such a point of contention for this engine family, yet there is so little information available about it.Thank you everyone for the brainstorming around this problem.
Old 11-03-2020, 09:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikadoo View Post
Morning everyone, so to bypass the lift pump, so I can see disconnecting the pressure side due to the type of fuel line that uses real fittings. However due to MY return line is a Banjo fitting on top of the lift pump I see no way to do that.
My thought is the return line is not pressurized, would there be a leak if I left the return line connected, then to just bypasse the pressure side hose. A buddy of mine is willing to mill a block off plate so I can remove the motor and just bolt the piece in place of the motor, which im surprised how no one has come out with a block off kit yet.
Its funny how this pump is such a point of contention for this engine family, yet there is so little information available about it.Thank you everyone for the brainstorming around this problem.
Every install I've read about uses the OEM return lines, through the banjo fittings. I do not believe that the return fuel ports, through the manifold, pass through an area that the pump motor occupies. Simply disconnecting the fuel inlet hose from the manifold and reconnecting it to the outlet hose to the filter, using the fittings mentioned, by-passes the lift pump. Of course, block off the inlet/outlet ports with plugs.

Yes, a block off plate would work, but why go to that effort? You have an unusual situation as the fuel seems to be leaking through the seal in the motor shaft. Pumping pressurized fuel through the lift pump is not recommended by Cummins, and you still have the check valve in the fuel flow, even if you use a block off plate.

Something to note. Some fuel flow diagrams for the FASS install show the FASS pump pulling fuel through the lift pump, then pushing it to the CAPS pump. This is especially true for installs near the engine. This is the simplest install as no plumbing change is required at the lift pump. In those situations, the lift pump is still subject to negative pressure and the check valve does not become an issue nor is there positive pressure on the motor seal. Alpine 36 did an install where the FASS is up front, supplying positive pressure into the lift pump. He noted a fluctuating pressure on his system until he rerouted the incoming fuel around the lift pump, by-passing the inlet/outlet ports.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #8
TR4

Which Fass pump do you have? How many filters? I retained my existing filters and just bypassed the original lift pump.
As Ljwt330 said, there are two parts of the lift pump manifold. On section for fuel in and fuel out. This section is where the leak occurs. The other section combines unused fuel from the injectors and the CAPS pump, then returns the fuel to the tank. So when you’re bypassing the lift pump, the other section of the manifold still returns fuel.

Bill
Old 11-04-2020, 07:17 AM   #9

Thank you everyone, so i couldnt take it any longer, i went an had a 1 foot section of hose with the required coupler fittings made at my local hose shop. I then disconnected (ugh! What a pain) the inlet side to the lift pump, then the outlet to the secondary filter, capped the pump then installed the short hose. It took me about 2 hrs, about a dozen wrenches, and more than a couple swear words. But the deed is done. It took a couple trys but the engine fired up. I left the RETURN lines from the pump and injectors connected to the lift pump ( im hoping that fuel is not part of the pump, instead its just a place to connect the two inlets to the return line) i washed the pump down with parts wash. So now all thats left is a road test, im really excited to feel the results of the FASS pump install. So now its on to the next project... caulking and replace slide topper, oh boy��
I really mean this, when i say thank you everyone, the whole FASS install can be daunting without support an everyone here has more than done there share giving there advice.

Tags
motor