Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2021, 01:35 PM   #1

Lift Pump relocation on 2005 Winnebago Journey

I have a 2005 Winnebago Journey WKP32T. Cummins 300HP
I have had the lift pump fail on me twice and would like to know if anyone out there has ever had lift pump relocated?
The remote mount lift pump kit, (from Cummins) Part Number 4955799, is for use on ISB CM850 engines.
This kit relocates the fuel lift pump, located on the engine, behind the ECM cooling plate,
to a remote location off the engine. Removing the lift pump and mounting it remotely
reduces the amount of heat and vibration to which the lift pump is subjected.
Cummins Installation Instruction Number is 4907748.
If anyone has had this done or has done it on there own please let me know how it turned out.
I have purchased the kit and I'm trying to figure out the best place to locate it. Having this pump in an easy to get at location will make it so that I can replace this pump by myself while on the road.
Thanks for any help.
Dortzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2021, 02:44 PM   #2

The lift pump only runs for 30-60 seconds after the ignition key is turned on, then the main pump assumes fuel flow. If your lift pump has failed twice I must ask, did you also replace the transient suppressor diode? It must be replaced at the same time as the lift pump or main injector pump.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:56 AM   #3

I have had the repairs done at a Cummins repair center is SLC Utah. There was no mention of the diode being replaced. They have admitted that these lift pumps do have a high failure rate because of the heat from the engine. They indicated to me that this lift pump runs continually after the engine is running in order to supply fuel to the main, high pressure pump. They did replace a pressure sensor. So where would a diode be located?
Old 06-30-2021, 09:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

The lift pump only runs for 30-60 seconds after the ignition key is turned on, then the main pump assumes fuel flow. If your lift pump has failed twice I must ask, did you also replace the transient suppressor diode? It must be replaced at the same time as the lift pump or main injector pump.

He has a 2005 ISB which is a High Pressure Common Rail fuel injection system. It has a lift pump like the CAPS system, but it is different that a CAPS lift pump, as is the main injection pump as well. The lift pump on these engines runs continuously once the engine is running.

I can't comment on if diode replacement is necessary or even if a diode is involved in Common Rail engines, so you're response may be accurate after all. I'm only chiming in because your signature shows an ISC with which you are familiar.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 02:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
He has a 2005 ISB which is a High Pressure Common Rail fuel injection system. It has a lift pump like the CAPS system, but it is different that a CAPS lift pump, as is the main injection pump as well. The lift pump on these engines runs continuously once the engine is running.

I can't comment on if diode replacement is necessary or even if a diode is involved in Common Rail engines, so you're response may be accurate after all. I'm only chiming in because your signature shows an ISC with which you are familiar.
Thank you for enlightening me! That makes everything i said immaterial because it doesn't apply to his engine.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 08:36 PM   #6

On my 2006 cross country with the 300isb I did the relocation kit from Cummins, added a pressure gauge, basically drove watching fuel pressure, rpm, and speed in that order still went through 2 more pumps, there is a hidden inline fuel filter above the rear axle (I did a right up about on here sometime ago) recently did away with the in-line filter and added an airdog system at the tank best thing I ever did and yes I left the factory lift pump in its place response is a lot better.
camping fam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:11 AM   #7

Thanks for your reply.
You know I cannot find that inline fuel filter on my frame. I have not taken it to freightliner but I have ask the Cummins repair facility to find this fuel filter. They say there is not one on my Motorhome, maybe because I'm only 33'. I have read posts about people removing theirs. I probably read your post. So could you tell me which airdog system you installed? Also you said that you installed yours at the fuel tank and did not remove the factory fuel pump, is there no fuel restriction running through the old pump?
Thanks again
Old 07-07-2021, 07:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortzy View Post
Thanks for your reply.
You know I cannot find that inline fuel filter on my frame. I have not taken it to freightliner but I have ask the Cummins repair facility to find this fuel filter. They say there is not one on my Motorhome, maybe because I'm only 33'. I have read posts about people removing theirs. I probably read your post. So could you tell me which airdog system you installed? Also you said that you installed yours at the fuel tank and did not remove the factory fuel pump, is there no fuel restriction running through the old pump?
Thanks again
I had one on my 2007 coach, Freightliner chassis and 300 hp ISB. It was a 33’ MH.

Passenger side, in the frame rail by the air bag, you’ll see lots of fuel line and wire looms zip tied together in that area. I had to cut some ties and separate the looms and fuel lines to see it as it was buried behind.

Not all Freightliners had the filter, so the information they gave you may be correct.
Goolge, Racor 025-RAC-10
Old 07-07-2021, 08:14 PM   #9

You can plumb in a FASS or Airdog system
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 10:38 AM   #10

Thanks for all the help. I will take another look this weekend. I will try and get a friend over to help me remove the rear right tires if I cant find it.
I will post an update as to what I find.
Old 07-08-2021, 04:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dortzy View Post
Thanks for all the help. I will take another look this weekend. I will try and get a friend over to help me remove the rear right tires if I cant find it.
I will post an update as to what I find.
No need to remove any tires. It is on the inside of the frame, inboard of the wheels. Look above the right rear axle area.

As I mentioned, not all chassis had the filter (actually a strainer), but those that did, it was very well hidden.
Old 07-13-2021, 08:15 AM   #12

Yes I did find that out, and I did find that darn fuel filter. What a pain to remove. However thanks to everyone that commented I now have it removed and bypassed.
My next question
I am looking to install a new AirDog lift pump the kind with the 2 filters that purges the air from the system.
Does anyone have any pictures of one of these installed, also I am trying to figure out what to do with the fuel return line from the AirDog to the fuel tank.
There must already be a return line somewhere and if so can this be tapped into?
As you can probably all tell I am new to iRV2 not very good at navigating through the Threads.
Thanks so far for all the help.

Tags
cat, journey, pump, winnebago