Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2014, 07:19 AM   #1
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Low oil pressure | erratic oil pressure | inconsistant oil pressure

I'm a little concerned.

This is a 6CTA, Ref # 53-34874-004 engine # 45358278, model C8.3-325, read that as 325 HP.

When first cranked (weather cold -12, or hot 110) the oil pressure gauge on the dash pegs (all the way to the right, in the white above the green, not pressure indicated on the dash gauge, just red, green, white)

When fully warmed up and running at 1500 RPM about 55 MPH, it will sink to within 1/8 inch of the line between the red and green, never goes into the red (going down the road).

When idling it does fall into the red, but as soon as you accelerate away from a stop light it immediately climbs into the green.

If you bring the RPMs up to 1500 when sitting with no load and fully warm it pegs the top of the green.

When going down hill and at 1500 rpm it pegs the needle to the top of the white.

Low oil pressure warning only comes on before cranking and never while running.

I have it at a Cummins authorized shop right now. They have have explained there are two oil pressure sensors, one for the computer, and one for the dash gauge. They will be putting it on their computer to see what that says.

There are several entries on this when you do a google, but no resolutions offered, just a post describing sort of the same thing.

I have driven this from AZ to NY, Ny to NH and back, NY to Ky and back, and it has acted like this consistently. Chassis voltage is at 14 volts all the time when running.

Thoughts?
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2014, 09:50 AM   #2

Sounds to me like a bad oil pressure sender for the gauge, a bad gauge , or a loose ground that attaches to the gauge. I think, if your oil pressure was that erratic, the engine computer would have placed the engine in limp mode to protect it.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #3
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Because of the age, they could not hook a computer to the engine, but did put a gauge on it and in their words, it is normal. Would like to know what they found.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:58 PM   #4

Same engine, actual oil pressure gauge on the Eagle vs. Dream.

On start-up the pressure is 60-80 PSI, once warmed up and cruising down the road 40-50 PSI in winter, summer can get as low as 35 PSI at cruise. Will increase with rpm increase in all cases.

Hot idle on these units will be about 10 PSI...the engine manual will tell you that that is within the Cummins specification.

So, variations are normal IMHO..35K put on my engine with me at the wheel, 82K total mileage.

Each oil analysis that I have received indicates that all is well.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post

On start-up the pressure is 60-80 PSI, once warmed up and cruising down the road 40-50 PSI in winter, summer can get as low as 35 PSI at cruise. Will increase with rpm increase in all cases.

Hot idle on these units will be about 10 PSI...the engine manual will tell you that that is within the Cummins specification.

So, variations are normal IMHO..35K put on my engine with me at the wheel, 82K total mileage.

Thank you for your reply, boy this makes me feel a whole lot better.

So your gauge shows PSI?

What is the PSI on the gauge at the point it goes from red to green?

70K on the clock right now of which I have put 7, and about to put another 6K.
Old 02-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #6

Change the sender Made by Isspro--( in CA you can buy direct--- Mine acted up 10 yrs ago and the new sender changed that. Now cold start Idles @ 70lbs-- Warmed Up- Runs @ 60lbs Idles @ 35 lbshttps://www.isspro.com/
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:07 PM   #7

I would suggest changing the sender also. Cummins did have a bunch of bad senders. Mine failed on the trip home from the dealer when I first purchased the MH.
mahon1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Thank you for your reply, boy this makes me feel a whole lot better.

So your gauge shows PSI?

What is the PSI on the gauge at the point it goes from red to green?

70K on the clock right now of which I have put 7, and about to put another 6K.

No color coding on VDO gauges.

Here is a picture with the engine OFF.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0668.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	283.2 KB
ID:	57089  
Old 02-27-2014, 07:55 PM   #9

Quote:

For what it's worth my Eagle with 8.3 acts exactly like Daves and I have 98,000 miles on mine. An old time diesel engine mechanic here in town said it was doing just as it was spec'd at. The oil analysis done at each oil change are fine.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

FormerBoater is absolutely right on. My coach has exactly the same oil pressure as his.

Once, when challenged with this issue, this statement was issued from the Cummins Help Desk:

'At idle: your engine needs only 4 lbs psi for proper lubrication. Usually, these engines run around 10 psi at warm idle. Cruising speed: your engine needs only 18 psi for proper lubrication. Usually, at 60 MPH these engine run around 50 - 55 psi.'

Now, as an old engine rebuilder, I could take issue with some of what Cummins said. While I agree that the engine probably would be OK with oil pressure of 18 psi at cruising speed, I doubt that the turbo charger would last very long.

Anyway. Dave is right on. Your oil pressure is absolutely, positively, perfectly normal.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:47 PM   #11
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
Change the sender Made by Isspro--( in CA you can buy direct--- Mine acted up 10 yrs ago and the new sender changed that. Now cold start Idles @ 70lbs-- Warmed Up- Runs @ 60lbs Idles @ 35 lbshttps://www.isspro.com/
I would like to check connections first, and grounds. Then will take your advice, once it warms up. This has been a l o n g COLD winter here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahon1993 View Post
I would suggest changing the sender also. Cummins did have a bunch of bad senders. Mine failed on the trip home from the dealer when I first purchased the MH.
Yes

Quote:
No color coding on VDO gauges.

Here is a picture with the engine OFF.
I will have to put a mechanical gauge on this to compare to the gauge on the dash to see what the red/green reading is in PSI for my own benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gacamp View Post
For what it's worth my Eagle with 8.3 acts exactly like Daves and I have 98,000 miles on mine. An old time diesel engine mechanic here in town said it was doing just as it was spec'd at. The oil analysis done at each oil change are fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
FormerBoater is absolutely right on. My coach has exactly the same oil pressure as his.

Once, when challenged with this issue, this statement was issued from the Cummins Help Desk:

'At idle: your engine needs only 4 lbs psi for proper lubrication. Usually, these engines run around 10 psi at warm idle. Cruising speed: your engine needs only 18 psi for proper lubrication. Usually, at 60 MPH these engine run around 50 - 55 psi.'

Now, as an old engine rebuilder, I could take issue with some of what Cummins said. While I agree that the engine probably would be OK with oil pressure of 18 psi at cruising speed, I doubt that the turbo charger would last very long.

Anyway. Dave is right on. Your oil pressure is absolutely, positively, perfectly normal.

Jim
Dave has been very helpful and all these responce has made me feel MUCH better about this gauge. THANKS!!!!!
Old 02-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #12
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
this statement was issued from the Cummins Help Desk:

Jim
This seems to be pretty much what I have been seeing on my gauge, maybe the gauge is working correctly, aside from the fluctuations I see, and those fluctuations are always on the high side, not the low side .
Old 02-28-2014, 04:50 PM   #13

Mine cold idle 85+. Running temp, 180 degrees, 22 idle, and 55@55 down the road. Road Relay 4.
bailiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 09:30 PM   #14
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiff View Post
Mine cold idle 85+. Running temp, 180 degrees, 22 idle, and 55@55 down the road. Road Relay 4.
What engine? you have a PSI graduated gauge?