RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:27 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Mechanical Fuel Pump 400 ISL 2006

My RV stalled after driving for over 90 minutes.

Apparently, the mechanic thinks my fuel filter was damaged by a rock or something that broke off the water drain cock. He then said as a result it damaged the mechanical fuel filter while it was struggling to run. Is that possible?

First it's almost impossible for something to hit the fuel filter because it is right behind the battery bay which hangs about 12" past the filter.

Any thoughts? Or did the mechanical pump just go out?

Ernieo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2020, 08:53 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernieo View Post
My RV stalled after driving for over 90 minutes.

Apparently, the mechanic thinks my fuel filter was damaged by a rock or something that broke off the water drain cock. He then said as a result it damaged the mechanical fuel filter while it was struggling to run. Is that possible?

First it's almost impossible for something to hit the fuel filter because it is right behind the battery bay which hangs about 12" past the filter.

Any thoughts? Or did the mechanical pump just go out?

I assume the bold in your post is a typo and you meant to say "fuel pump."

Your year engine has a fuel pump with a low pressure, gear driven section that feeds the high pressure section. That gear driven section uses the fuel flow for lubrication and cooling. Loss of fuel flow, or significant air in the fuel, can lead to the failing of the pump.

Now, about the fuel filter. I don't know how your filter is mounted as in my Alpine, it is inside a bay that has a floor so it is not exposed to any external elements. If you filter is in an area that is open to the road, it is possible that it can be damaged by debris. Certainly, the mechanic should show you the filter and the damage.

I'm uncertain if your engine has one or two filters, but since the mechanic mentioned the water drain, the issue must be with the water separation filter which is located close to the ground as you describe.

If you read the link I posted in another thread to you, you will find that there are other reasons for the symptoms you have which may not be a failed pump. However, if you have a damaged filter, there is a good possibility that it led to a failed gear pump.

Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #3

If your fuel filter is physically damaged that all the proof I would need. Is it?

As for your fuel delivery system I think you have a HPCR (High Pressure Common Rail) system. Also your 2006 coach probably has a 2005 Cummins ISL-400 in it which would definitely indicate an HPCR.

I'm no expert on the HPCR system, but here are some fuel flow diagrams that may help you follow what your diesel mechanic is talking about.

Most of the time you can trust their opinions, but it does not hurt to ask them to verify what they believe are your issues.

* These pictures show the backside and the front side of your ECM cooling plate and the electric lift pump behind it.

So if you fuel starvation problem is not caused by a damaged fuel filter, then you might be in need of a Fuel Lift pump... but as a general rule, if your engine starts it's not a lift problem. ...Also, your filter is remote mounted so don't let this diagram confuse you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cummins High Pressure Fuel Delivery System (LIFT PUMP).JPG
Views:	6
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	291781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cummins High Pressure Fuel Delivery System (LIFT PUMP)2.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	291782  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cummins Transfer Pump (aks Lift Pump).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	291783  
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:19 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Spoke with Cummins today. They said that a damaged fuel filter would not damage the fuel pump. That the engine would cough and then stop if air was coming in the system by way of the fuel filter. The engine never coughed it just stopped.
Ernieo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel pump, mechanic