Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2016, 08:11 PM   #1

Muffler delete

35' Winnebago 5.9 diesel pusher. I've been doing some work on her, she's a she, never seen a butt like that on a boy. When I was twisting and tweaking to get the turbo separated from the exhaust manifold the exhaust pipe came out of the muffler. The connection was bad and will not get any better without some serious massaging and or parts rebuilding/replacing.

Muffler delete has been suggested by a member here. For me it is very doable because a search in my steel stash found the right materials, galvanized 3" and 4" exhaust tubing.

I did a search here on IRV2 for muffler replacement found a couple of threads about replacing the stock muffler with a stainless resonator. My experience with resonators is they remove the harsh bark sound unless wide open throttle. And most of the offensive noise we get from the boys with their diesel pickups comes from the tail pipe ending in an echo chamber, aka huge exhaust tips.

Has anyone removed the muffler and replaced it with a straight pipe? If they did was the noise level offensive above idle?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2016, 08:33 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Try it, you already have the pipe. Most likely it is 4" tubing. You don't have your coach in your signature so I don't know what year it is. Some of the older 5.9 engins had 3" tube out of the turbo and later went to a 4". If you don't like the noise you can always add a muffler. I am running the Banks 4" strait through.
If you have the 3" out of the turbo I would upgrade to the 4"
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
Try it, you already have the pipe. Most likely it is 4" tubing. You don't have your coach in your signature so I don't know what year it is. Some of the older 5.9 engins had 3" tube out of the turbo and later went to a 4". If you don't like the noise you can always add a muffler. I am running the Banks 4" strait through.
If you have the 3" out of the turbo I would upgrade to the 4"
Bill
93 Vectra with the old 12 valve. Yes it has the 3" coming out of the turbo to the muffler with a 4" leaving the muffler.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:44 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I once had an 89 Sportscoach 35' with the 8.3 Cummins, I took the muffler off because I like noise and thought it would increase hp. It had a nice rumble to it I could hear when I was by a barricade or tunnel, but with the windows closed I would have never known I took it off.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:07 AM   #5

American Coach Owners Club
Removed mine maybe 10 yrs ago, Throaty sound at Idle and louder running- but I can't hear anything up front, unless I'm in a tunnel. In addition to reducing EGT's 50 to 80 DB's.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:29 AM   #6

Mufflers are not put on engines just for the drivers comfort.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:06 AM   #7

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Check out the engineering used at http://www.ftediesel.com/
Installed a resenator/muffler on an 8.3 from these folks several years ago. The engine at idle sound is louder than the muffler you may even hear the turbo a little. Sound at full throttle may be higher at the tail pipe, however, not noticeable inside.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
Mufflers are not put on engines just for the drivers comfort.
I hope you arn't talking about that old wives tale that engins need back preshure.
Actually the muffler was mandated back in the late 1890s to keep from scaring pedestrians and horses.
Wroughtnharv, Check and see I think the 4" exhaust pipe will fit using the same V Band clamp as the 3" coming out of the turbo.
Bill
Old 12-14-2016, 02:01 PM   #9

Enjoy the loud unrestricted exhaust, The generation of engines that will work without exhaust back pressure is gone, current Tier 4 emissions have seen to that...
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
Enjoy the loud unrestricted exhaust, The generation of engines that will work without exhaust back pressure is gone, current Tier 4 emissions have seen to that...
No they will run just fine with no back pressure they just won't pass emissions.
Bill
Old 12-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
No they will run just fine with no back pressure they just won't pass emissions.
Bill
1st off , I'm cool with you or anybody else tearing the muffler off and straight piping it, but your probably not going to notice some big seat of the pants HP increase, unless your muffler was plugged/rusted shut.......just sounds cooler,

Your 2003 engine will run just fine w/o a muffler, which BTW has very little back pressure, you probably can look straight though it.....but current engines will derate. DPF, DEF, regen etc.....is now a fact of life. Have you personally looked under a unit at the current exhaust system? It's a nightmare, a very $$$ one.

Yes you can go the EGR/DEF/Chip/Programmer etc...route, the whatever
"legal for off-road use only", but just like the automotive diesel pick up is now, you'll not be able to resale one though a dealer w/out all emissions intact and no CEL/MIL light on.

tier IV emissions are a completely different animal and not always in a good way money verses maintenance wise....somehow the feds now have mandated engines that the air coming out the exhaust is cleaner than the air that went in!
Old 12-14-2016, 03:51 PM   #12

Ya, I really like Harley's with loud pipes, cars/trucks with loud (or no) mufflers and especially motor homes. I'm so happy you aren't bothered by the the noise as your roaring down the road. As long as your ego is stroked, that's the important thing.
The more noise, the better.
Old 12-14-2016, 04:07 PM   #13

Not mine but Enjoy!

Does this one belong to one of you Cats?
Old 12-14-2016, 04:11 PM   #14

ELK LIVES MATTER

Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote