Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2017, 04:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
When you said " fuel lines " It brought this post to mind. Maybe worth a look depending on how far you went with the new lines.

www.irv2.com/forums/f26/the-tale-of-the-3-668-hidden-and-undocumented-fuel-filter-strainer-328852.html

I know there are connectors in that location ( pictured in the post) in my coach , so I don't know if a previous owner removed one from that position .
I am glad you mentioned that, Got the pump finished today and started up great but still have "ENG PROT" light on so didn't drive it. Where is the best place to check fuel pressure on the Freightliner XC chassis? Is it the little alan head screw on top of VP44? I am going back out now to check for that strainer the article was referring to while I wait to hear back from you Skip.
Itsmerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2017, 08:14 PM   #16

Checked out fuel line and didn't find any strainers but fuel line runs down inside of frame rail and fuel tank is tight between frame rails so I cant see fuel line next to tank. Also ran codes and found one code #235 which I think is low coolant.? But I have topped it off and its full so I don't know why code is there? Also took it foir a spin and it runs good but has a hard time going up hills, Is this normal? Haven't really drove it running good, so don't know what to expect power wise?
Old 06-08-2017, 10:15 PM   #17

Most times members have put a fuel pressure gauge; or sensor for an electric gauge; between the fuel filter and the VP-44. to keep an eye on possible restriction in the filter and pump performance. I'll see if I can find a picture.
The strainer in the post was above the RR air bag . Visible in one of the pictures so just behind the rear end housing . If you checked all the way to where the fuel line runs into the frame and basement bulkhead , that's far enough.
With the weight of a motor home and the vintage of ISB you have it will slow on hills . Were you manually downshifting to keep the rpm over 2,000 going up the hills ?
Old 06-08-2017, 10:38 PM   #18

Well getting old really sucks , I found this diagram , but it didn't come with the number index , and I can't remember if the item #14 was the filter bleed screw, that could also be used for a pressure test port ; post filter ; or not .
Come to think of it , I'm not sure if this filter housing is the same as yours .
I forget what year they switched to the housing with the screw plastic lid . May have been with the change to HPCR, in 03.
Anyhow , why #14 has two arrows towards the filter housing would only be answered by having the index. I'm sure the rest will come to me ...at about 3 in the morning ; I keep a note pad by my bed , but most times I can't read what I wrote down because I don't keep my glasses there too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	isb_lift pump location.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	164555  
Old 06-08-2017, 11:28 PM   #19

Quote:
Well getting old really sucks , I found this diagram , but it didn't come with the number index , and I can't remember if the item #14 was the filter bleed screw, that could also be used for a pressure test port ; post filter ; or not .
Come to think of it , I'm not sure if this filter housing is the same as yours .
I forget what year they switched to the housing with the screw plastic lid . May have been with the change to HPCR, in 03.
Anyhow , why #14 has two arrows towards the filter housing would only be answered by having the index. I'm sure the rest will come to me ...at about 3 in the morning ; I keep a note pad by my bed , but most times I can't read what I wrote down because I don't keep my glasses there too.
Skip, Unfortunately I have the Plastic cap filter housing that is remote mounted by radiator in very back of bus. Couldn't find any ports on it except the 2 lines coming in. Only thing I can think of doing is cut a line between filter and vp44 and installing a tee fitting. If you can think of an easier way please let me know.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:51 PM   #20

Nope , between the filter and the VP-44 , pressure from the pump is 5 to 7 PSI so regular fuel hose clamps should be fine , no need for the high pressure clamps .
Old 06-10-2017, 10:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Nope , between the filter and the VP-44 , pressure from the pump is 5 to 7 PSI so regular fuel hose clamps should be fine , no need for the high pressure clamps .
I thought I had read somewhere that you should never have less than 15 Psi of fuel pressure to VP44? Bad thing about the internet you don't know what to believe.

Actually the local Freightliner dealer here are the ones that replaced lift pump, fuel filter housing and fuel lines because they couldn't get more then 6 psi to VP44, After they replaced it all they got 11 psi and told me it needed to be 15+ psi. So is that incorrect then?
Old 06-12-2017, 06:11 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed a Glowshift boost, temp, fuel pressure gauge. The sensor for fuel was installed after the final filter outlet before the v44. My pressure is normally around 10-12 pounds going down the road.
The lift pump precharges the v44 after you bump the starter not when you turn on the key. Turning on the key provides for warm up of the heater. Once you bump the starter the gauge will register about 12# to the v44.

We just came down to florida from NJ and we pulled 9200# trailer. normally I saw 10-11# pressure. boost ran up to 22# and temp ran as high as 1250. Since the rig is getting old I had to down shift to 5th on many grades to maintain the 65 mph and help keep the R's up.

Just a note: we replaced a lift and v44 many years ago in Iowa @ $3900. This loss was due to a poorly vented fuel tank. both the roll over valve and fuel cap were not functioning. Fuel cap was stuck with gooey crap and the roll over was clogged with mud dobber wasp crap. We ran all the way home with just a rag in the filler tube.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:40 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why not just put in Fuel Pressure Warning Light Kit for 98.5-07 24v Dodge Ram Cummins 5.9L (1019) | eBay
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #24

Back in the day ; whenever we contacted Cummins about lift pump issues , they weren't interested in fuel pressure , only volume tests , so if the pump was working at all we had to , run a volume test before they would authorize the change. Finally after 4+ years of lift pump issues with pumps mounted on the engine ( the VP-44 years and the first years of HPCR ) Dodge issued a change up kit to relocate the lift pump into the fuel tank and a running change on the assembly line. Never ran pressure tests on the in tank pump , but never had to replace one either.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Why, because it is just another idiot light. That is all they offer for the oil pressure "gauge" when it craps out. It cost over $100 to have the shop install a cheap idiot light and reprogram the ECM.

I like gauges because they show a trend. Idiot lights are binary. yes or no.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:19 AM   #26

Thats kinda what makes sense to me is "Volume". As long as i still have pressure when gas pedal is on the floor, pump should be fine. I don't think I would be content with another dummy light, plus if I understand the "Eng Proc" light will light if VP44 is starving for fuel? I would feel much better seeing a gauge with correct pressures.
ladagobago you mentioned your "roll over valve" on the fuel tank being plugged up. Is that what lets air into the tank and has a rubber hose connected that just dangles down the side of the tank? I found that hose on mine and I tried blowing and sucking on it with no luck, completely plugged! Guess I need to clean it out?
Old 06-13-2017, 05:38 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Yes, the hose or the valve was plugged. possibly by mud or dried fuel. the fuel cap also was stuck with dried fuel. I had a negative pressure develop in the tank after about 70 to 100 miles. It made the lift pump work very hard and finally destroyed the v44.

To clear the cap, I soaked it in carb cleaner and sucked on it to make sure it was clear. For the roll over - after I clean out the mud, i used a cheap harbor freight hand transfer pump, found in box stores too. I hook it up to the hose and use pressure to free the valve. It is fine now for about 6 years.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:22 PM   #28

Where to check fuel pressure at the pump

There is an aftermarket banjo bolt that has an 1/8 inch pipe plug on the end for attachment of a gauge. Banjo bolt is the bolt that connects the fuel line to the pump right at the inlet. There is also a supply of aftermarket banjo bolts that have larger interior size than stock for greater fuel flow. The banjo bolts are a restriction point in the fuel flow system. Source for bolts:: Etxreme diesel performance Google it. or 8883437354 The bore internal size of these fittings are a 64% improvement over stock fittings. $10.00 ea

Tags
discovery, fleetwood