Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New coolant, coolant filter??

Left coach at Cummins Atlantic this AM for coolant drain, flush, refill with OAT. Supervisor seemed perplexed that my ISL has no coolant filter. When I told him there was no filter, he assumed I was wrong and proceeded to crawl around under the coach to find it. There was none.

Is this unique to my particular coach builder or did Cummins just not put them on the ISL 425?

Anyway, read another thread here about concerns with compatibility of ES Compleat OAT and Peak's Final Charge. Cummins said they were going to use Final Charge since they knew if I was on the road and needed to add coolant, I would be able to find Final Charge pretty easy. I appreciated that they were thinking along those lines. This is a Coach Care dealer.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2014, 09:46 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
If you haven't read this, it might be helpful.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/final...ml#post2006225
Old 04-16-2014, 10:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleKent View Post
If you haven't read this, it might be helpful.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/final...ml#post2006225

Thanks, that was helpful.

Cummins just called me with the cost estimate for the job....$1,600. My coach has a 26 gallon total capacity and they say most of the cost is labor due to the time required for sufficient flushing of the system. They estimate 6 hrs of labor to do it right. They will be using 22 gallons of Final Charge premix and 4 gallons of Final Charge concentrate. Plus they will flush with Restore.

Oh well, I will get a 10% Power Club discount
Old 04-16-2014, 04:56 PM   #4

Just had my radiator flushed and filled with Final Charge. Cost was 1400.00, but that included oil change, lube, fuel filters, air filter, generator oil, all filters and Final Charge for generator. Three flushings with distilled water. It took most of the day. It was done at Cummins South in Atlanta. That price seems way too high. I have a Cummins ISL.
Chuck48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Cummins stopped using coolant filters in the ISL sometime around 2006. My 2006 built ISL did not have one.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #6

Mine also is a 2006 ISL and has no coolant filter.
Chuck48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:17 PM   #7

2005 ISL400 and also have no coolant filter. If I recall correctly, the filters also add additives which is what you don'r want with OAT coolant.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck48 View Post
Just had my radiator flushed and filled with Final Charge. Cost was 1400.00, but that included oil change, lube, fuel filters, air filter, generator oil, all filters and Final Charge for generator. Three flushings with distilled water. It took most of the day. It was done at Cummins South in Atlanta. That price seems way too high. I have a Cummins ISL.
I questioned the estimate as I have had work done at this shop previously and their charges have been reasonable and comparable to others I've used. My service advisor reminded me that this was their worst case estimated and the final price would likely be less. So, we will see.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Left coach at Cummins Atlantic this AM for coolant drain, flush, refill with OAT. Supervisor seemed perplexed that my ISL has no coolant filter. When I told him there was no filter, he assumed I was wrong and proceeded to crawl around under the coach to find it. There was none.

Is this unique to my particular coach builder or did Cummins just not put them on the ISL 425?

Anyway, read another thread here about concerns with compatibility of ES Compleat OAT and Peak's Final Charge. Cummins said they were going to use Final Charge since they knew if I was on the road and needed to add coolant, I would be able to find Final Charge pretty easy. I appreciated that they were thinking along those lines. This is a Coach Care dealer.
SML

The ISL was the first Cummins engine with liners to come without a coolant filter head.....the result of a 6 Sigma project (cost cutting). Some chassis manufacturers add them back. If you decide to get a coolant filter, I recommend getting the Caterpillar head. I believe they offer a kit with shut off valves and hose as well. Fleetguard only sells the heads and has never offered a complete kit although I tried to get a product line engineer interested in releasing one....no joy. He could not understand why it would be needed!

Yes, I vote for Final Charge. ES Compleat OAT is nearly impossible to find as an in-stock item. When you do, you must buy a case of 6 gallon jugs. Final Charge is ridiculously easy to find. Walmart sells the premix as do most autoparts stores.
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Thanks, that was helpful.

Cummins just called me with the cost estimate for the job....$1,600. My coach has a 26 gallon total capacity and they say most of the cost is labor due to the time required for sufficient flushing of the system. They estimate 6 hrs of labor to do it right. They will be using 22 gallons of Final Charge premix and 4 gallons of Final Charge concentrate. Plus they will flush with Restore.

Oh well, I will get a 10% Power Club discount
Why did they say you needed Restore Cleaner? Got oil in the coolant? Got silicate gel in the coolant? NO? Take a pass on the Restore cleaner. It is only for those two problems. They are upselling you as that stuff is expensive! and not needed.
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:04 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike45 View Post
Why did they say you needed Restore Cleaner? Got oil in the coolant? Got silicate gel in the coolant? NO? Take a pass on the Restore cleaner. It is only for those two problems. They are upselling you as that stuff is expensive! and not needed.
Gary, they did not suggest Restore. I merely asked if it would be necessary to use it during the flush. My service writer just said 'probably.'. The invoice was much less than the original estimate..... final cost was $837.

They did put ES Compleat OAT in it and that was what I had thought they would use and was surprised when I was told Final Charge. They did give me a gallon to keep on hand if I needed to add coolant. They ended up using 17 gallons of premix and 3 gallons of concentrate. There was a item called 'chemical package' on the invoice for abut $27. There was nothing called Restore on the ticket but I figured that was the 'chemical package??'
Old 04-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry B View Post
2005 ISL400 and also have no coolant filter. If I recall correctly, the filters also add additives which is what you don'r want with OAT coolant.
For those of us WITH coolant filters, If OAT is the installed coolant, you buy a blank filter (no SCA's).
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote