Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #1

Oil and filters change DIY

I know that this has been discussed before, and maybe someone can direct me to the best thread. I have a 2006 Dutchstar with a 400HP Cummins (Currently 22000 miles), and I am thinkig about doing the oil and filter change myself. I do a lot of self maintenance on cars. All of the filters are on one side and are easy access on this motorhome. Just wondering if it is as easy as it looks. It have been about 1 year and 6000 miles since the last change.

The Oil filter gauge (next to the filter) still shows that it is clean. What do I need to know about changing the Fuel/water separator filter, and the fuel filter, etc. Will this void the Cummins warranty if I do it myself? Costco sells the right oil (Chevron Delo 400 15/40) for about $10 a gallon. That is a lot cheaper than $24 a gallon that I paid to have a shop do it last year. Any advice would be appreciated.
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #2

easy to do just start doing it the only hard part is getting rid of the old oil.
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #3

Cummins can't void your warranty if you change your own oil. This is prohibited by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that President Ford signed into law in 1975.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:20 PM   #4

Oil change

Thanks for the reply about the warranty. What brand filter is recommended for the oil change?
Old 07-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #5

Go to fleetfilter.com. You can order air cleaner, fuel, and oil. Have them delivered by UPS and still be a lot cheaper than you can buy them anywhere. They are NAPA/WIX filters.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #6

Thanks, I will check out that website ASAP!
Old 07-30-2010, 04:30 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Filter Barn.com is my source of choice. Free shipping on $100 of filters and the prices are sometimes 1/2 of retail stores.

Have a container that will hold your oil quantity and a means to transfer the oil back into the gallon bottles for recycling disposal.

Carpet the drain area with old flattened cardboard boxes and keep some floor dri on hand to sop up the spills.

Fuel filter change will not spill much diesel. Read your engine manual instructions on whether or not to fill the new filter before mounting.

The most difficult part for me is removing the oil filter. Sounds like you have that solved.

Auto Zone or your County government may have an oil recycling depot.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:46 PM   #8

Oil Change

Thanks Dean, I will take a look at Filter Barn too!
Old 07-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #9
KIX

Take a look at installing a Fumoto (Google it) valve to replace your drain plug. Then you can drain old oil without spilling a drop one gallon at a time.
If possible use a phillips head screw driver to punch a hole in the bottom of the old oil filter to drain it before removing it. You'll reduce the chances of spilling oil.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:28 AM   #10

Another website to checkout is www.rvchassisparts.com You can purchase original Fleetguard filters from it. It's the Spartan Parts Website. They also sell at a good discount.
Raca-roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Filter Barn.com is my source of choice. Free shipping on $100 of filters and the prices are sometimes 1/2 of retail stores.

Have a container that will hold your oil quantity and a means to transfer the oil back into the gallon bottles for recycling disposal.

Carpet the drain area with old flattened cardboard boxes and keep some floor dri on hand to sop up the spills.

Fuel filter change will not spill much diesel. Read your engine manual instructions on whether or not to fill the new filter before mounting.

The most difficult part for me is removing the oil filter. Sounds like you have that solved.

Auto Zone or your County government may have an oil recycling depot.
Two thumbs up on the Filter Barn. I now buy all my Fleetguard and other OE filters from them including the generator.
nplenzick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
In my area the local auto parts store will only take 2 gallons at a time, my ISL takes 7 gals so I have to go the county landfill.

I did find a wheeled container that takes 15 gal of oil--pretty handy, I think I found it at Chiltons
CaptPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I just changed the filters and fluid on the engine and Jiffy Lube accepted the entire 5 gallons. I just had to pour it in their container.

When we bring in 'drop-off' containers is when I notice they place a limit on the amount. If we're pouring it....they don't seem to mind the amount.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #14

Filter change

Any special things to know when disconnecting the fuel filter and the fuel/water separator?