Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-25-2014, 03:19 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Oil Capacity

How many quarts of oil does a 8.3 ISC 350hp engine take? Thanks
Brian
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by supercub View Post
How many quarts of oil does a 8.3 ISC 350hp engine take? Thanks
Brian
If I remember correctly Most of the ones I've changed oil on took about 5 gallons of oil.
I think the oil pans seemed like regular Cummins 8.3L engine oil pans and nothing special.
I highly recommend Fumoto oil pan drain valve. you will stay cleaner using one.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Here you go. http://www.rvtechlibrary.com/engine/ISC350_specs.pdf
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:57 AM   #4

Brian.....

There have been a fair number of posts and opinions re this subject. FWIW, you can register at the official Cummins website (QuickServe online) and obtain all kinds of useful info for your specific engine, including various capacities. It's a pretty straight forward process....

I am unable to load the spec page I downloaded/printed from the website in May, 2012 for my 8.3 ISC. However, the Cummins Specification Sheet I use and am looking at right now indicates the following for my engine:

- Lubricating Oil Filter Capacity: 4 qts.

- Oil Pan Capacity, Low to High: Standard Oil Pan -16 to 20 qts.
Standard Oil Pan with Cylinder Block Stiffener Plate -17 to 21 qts.
( Per Cummins, I have the Standard Pan.....you likely do too.)

- Total System Capacity (Oil Pan and New Oil Filter): Standard Oil Pan - 24 qts.
Standard Oil Pan with Cylinder Block Stiffener Plate - 25 qts.

Since I have the Standard Oil Pan, the total oil system capcity for our ISC is 24 qts....that's what I put in it during an oil/filter change. Like others, I have also learned that the conventional dipstick installed by the coach manufacturer is not all that accurate. I have "notched" mine where I know the full mark is following a complete oil change. I believe quite a few other folks do too.

It may be that not everyone will agree with the above info. However, it comes from the official Cummins website re our 8.3 ISC. Hope this helps....
Old 03-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
According to my manuals, the capacity on mine is 21 qt, and truck service places always put in 24 qt at an oil change REGARDLESS of what I tell them when I take it in ...they apparently don't even look at the dipstick.. When that happens, the excess gets blown out onto my toad shield and toad. Once at the "proper" level, it pretty much stays there. But if I were to try to keep it at the higher level, I would continue chasing it by pouring oil in only to have it blown out.

Quote:
I have also learned that the conventional dipstick installed by the coach manufacturer is not all that accurate. I have "notched" mine where I know the full mark is following a complete oil change.
Seems I recall a discussion several years ago about some having the incorrect dipstick on delivery. When you notched your stick to a new "full" level, is that notch above the original full line?
Blog at www.pjrider.com
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the info
Old 03-26-2014, 02:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
According to my manuals, the capacity on mine is 21 qt, and truck service places always put in 24 qt at an oil change REGARDLESS of what I tell them when I take it in ...they apparently don't even look at the dipstick.. When that happens, the excess gets blown out onto my toad shield and toad. Once at the "proper" level, it pretty much stays there. But if I were to try to keep it at the higher level, I would continue chasing it by pouring oil in only to have it blown out.

Seems I recall a discussion several years ago about some having the incorrect dipstick on delivery. When you notched your stick to a new "full" level, is that notch above the original full line?

I can only go by what Cummins specifies for our ISC....24 total qts. If your service facility prefills your oil filter (3-4 qts.) as required and then adds another 24 qts., that would produce quite a bit of "slobber". A certain amount of slobber is, as I understand it, quite normal for these things.

Re your question, I don't believe I have an incorrect dipstick. It seems that the problem I have (and others as well) is more related to how the dipstick tube is anchored to the engine and the body framework....the tube can move around a bit no matter how I try to tighten/secure it. I push in the tube and secure it by hand and then check the oil level following an oil/filter change. My dipstick mark is always slightly higher than the original dipstick mark....about 1/4" or so. It's not a real big deal to me since I don't put a tremendous number of miles a year on our coach. As long as the oil level remains between those two marks....and it does....all seems to be OK. Works for me. Hope this makes sense....
Old 03-27-2014, 04:32 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
If you haven't found it yet, get the engine number and call Cummins.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote