Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2015, 06:53 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Oil Change questions?...

Well I know oil brand is a preference.. But bare in mind I'm new to the whole diesel thing.. Trying to figure out what's the best oil to use in my 2004 cummins isl400.. Also want to know how to fill the oil pan..I see there is a filler cap on top but it looks like it would be a serious pain to use...I did notice there is what looks like another oil fill in front of engine (kind of like an elbow).. Is tis intact another fill port?...

Oh..one last question.. What do you use to loosen the oil filter..

Any opinions, thoughts or advise would be appreciated..

Thank you
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2015, 06:58 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Big metal strap wrench KD Tools Heavy Duty...wide band grips more of the filter.

Oil fill on timing cover case. Right side as you face the engine, big tab on top. It's plastic, be gentle.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:29 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Get one of these, only in larger size. It costs a little more but it will remove any stuck or overly tightened filter.

As far as correct oil, Rotella T is my brand of choice because you can get it anywhere
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter Wrench.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	96916  
Old 06-11-2015, 10:37 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Does anyone know the size of fee oil filter? Or what size strap wrench..?
Old 06-12-2015, 07:15 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I bought a heavy strap wrench form the local Peterbilt shop, it will fit the air dryer, oil filter, and fuel filters.

After buying my coach I had it serviced at the local Cummins shop, they used Valvoline Blue for oil so I've stuck with this. Every year Autozone usually has a sale one it ~$15/gallon so I stock up.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"Speedjester"......No need for synthetic in a diesel of this size. The two most popular oils used are the Chevron Delo, available at Costco and the Rotella D, available at Walmart in 2.5 gallon jugs. The oil filter for your engine has pretty much stayed unchanged for years (Fleetguard LF9009). Buy the filter and THEN find a strap to fit it. Unless a Gorilla installed the last one, you can usually twist them off with your hand. If not, use a strap as described above. Harbor Freight sells cheap straps, but the rubber goes bad in a couple of years.

If your coach is a side radiator, you can probably get to the engine oil fill. On my previous coach, I had a rear radiator with the filler tube that is probably similar to what you described. I took a funnel and added a 12" section of rubber hose that fit over the end of the funnel and into the filler tube. I would insert the rubber hose into the filler tube, bend it upward with the funnel installed and use a bungee to hold it in that position while I refilled the engine oil.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 05:48 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks guys.. I ordered the filter and wrench.. Picking up oil tomorrow.. Advance has valvoline Blue on sale $13 a gallon.. Is this a good price?
Old 06-12-2015, 05:51 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, $13/gallon for the Valvoline is a good price, I need to go buy some myself. How long is it on Sale?
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Oil Change questions?...

Not sure.. Was talking to a guy today at the parts store who was buying 6 gallons.... I asked him the price and he stated they were on sale.... I will find out tomorrow and post..
Old 06-13-2015, 05:14 PM   #10

I've used Rotella & it is good oil,BUT I read on Bob the oil guy that the Traveller brand oil from TSC is good too,I've been using it I get 2-2.5 gallons f/$56.00 so I've been using that w/2-bottles of lucas break-in lube that has zinc in it to protect the cam.
In my ISC & B5.9 pickup,most any name brand is good though.
sewmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 09:44 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
The killer of this is: If you use brand X or if you use brand Y , or Z, how can you tell the difference?

The the real answer is: you can't.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:04 AM   #12

While you are at it, install yourself a Fumoto Drain Valve on the oil pan. Your Engine manual should have the numbers of what you need as far as filters and recommended oil. If you don't have that, contact them, they will provide the information.