Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2022, 06:31 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Oil Drain Plug - change it out?

Good morning. I've changed the oil on my Cummins ISB6.7 a couple of times already. To be honest, during both oil changes I didn't bother looking that close at the drain plug to get a sense of its condition. It is currently doing well holding the 15 quarts in the pan. My first question is are these replaced occasionally even if it is holding up well since the last oil change? If I recall correctly from my last oil change and if my assumption of the pic below is correct, there is a rubber gasket up against the plug head. Is the gasket replaced instead of the plug? I know this is a basic oil change 101 question, but I don't want to perform the next oil change and find a slow leak that I will need to address. The price for these are all over the place. Sites selling Cummins parts are selling the OEM plug for ~$32 plus shipping. Some sites catering to the diesels in Dodge trucks have them for $15 plus shipping but I don't know if they are OEM. Part # 3973071. Just curious what others do (besides the Fumoto option). Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil Drain Plug.png
Views:	40
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	366941
thegats1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2022, 06:44 AM   #2

no need to replace it if it isn't leaking.

I'm not sure if the rubber is integrated into the drain plug or if it can be bought separate. On some vehicles there is a crush washer you replace when you drain the oil. Seems Cummins eliminated that with the rubber gasket, which probably won't be an issue for a very long time (10 plus years)
I know you don't want a leak but if it does, it most likely will show itself as a drip and probably a small one initially. May not even seen a spot on the ground just oily around the pan when it does start to fail. Can't hurt to have a spare so if you ever see it start you can swap it out on the the next change.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 07:00 AM   #3

I'd think keeping an oil resistant o-ring that engages the inner edge of the pan contact area handy would be adequate insurance.
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 07:12 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
I'd think keeping an oil resistant o-ring that engages the inner edge of the pan contact area handy would be adequate insurance.
After you need one is too late.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 02:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
After you need one is too late.
62 years of changing my own oil. 38 vehicles, 2 fleets, NEVER had a catastrophic leak from a drain plug, OR any kind of drain plug leak. Did have a rubber Fram oil filter gasket on a 2002 fail. Some of those vehicles accumulated over 300K miles with Mobil 1 oil changes every 5-7K, dependent upon oil analysis, so hundreds of oil changes.
Clemson State of Mind
wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 05:49 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks everyone. Yes I agree wimpy, definitely wouldn’t expect a catastrophic failure. My question was simple, but I screwed up the way I asked it. Was wondering if others that have the same plug simply change the rubber gasket (not listed on parts diagram blowup). If so, where did they get it? Or, just keep on using the existing drain plug. The only issue I want to avoid is at some point if I don’t change it, it will start leaking. It will most likely be noticed after disturbing it after doing an oil change. Then I live with the leak until the next oil change or I drain the 15 quarts, replace it, then put the oil back in (not ideal). The rubber gaskets eventually will crack etc. Not super worried about it and will likely use the one I have on the next oil change. Just figured I’d use this forum to figure out what others do. I suppose after the next one I’ll just buy another plug and be done. Still have 6 months left on this one, so I’m good for quite some time. Thanks for the feedback from all of you. I appreciate it.
Old 06-03-2022, 04:48 AM   #7

That is the same drain plug on my Cummins ISC 8.3L

The copper crush washer for that oil drain plug is Cummins part number 3920773 which is a common size that can be found at any auto parts or Ace Hardware store.

You can use the copper or the black or red synthetic crush washers as well.
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 06:00 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toribk View Post
That is the same drain plug on my Cummins ISC 8.3L

The copper crush washer for that oil drain plug is Cummins part number 3920773 which is a common size that can be found at any auto parts or Ace Hardware store.

You can use the copper or the black or red synthetic crush washers as well.

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for.