Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2017, 02:17 PM   #1

Oil drain plug for Cummins USB engine

Hello

I was crawling around under my rig today in anticipation of future maintenance. I noticed that the oil drain plug in the oil pan in my Cummins ISB engine is not what I have seen before as this is my first diesel engine. Instead of being a bolt head, it looked like a female plug that would receive some sort of very large Allen wrench? Was I looking at the wrong plug?

If I am looking at the correct drain plug, what kind of tool do I use to open that drain?

Also I noticed on the Fumoto drain plug website that there is a drain valve that fits the ISB engine. Has anyone used it?

Thanks!
ualdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2017, 02:25 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I didn't use the Fumoto valve when I had a B but I do now use it with the 8.3 liter Cummins. You will love it. Maybe drains a bit slower but I'm not in a hurry at this stage of my life.

burfurd
Old 10-03-2017, 03:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfurd View Post
I didn't use the Fumoto valve when I had a B but I do now use it with the 8.3 liter Cummins. You will love it. Maybe drains a bit slower but I'm not in a hurry at this stage of my life.

burfurd
Before you put the Fumoto in, did it have that "odd" (to me) oil drain plug that looks like one needs a very large allen wrench type tool to get it out?
Old 10-03-2017, 07:06 PM   #4

A 1/2" ratchet / breaker bar should fit into the plug.
Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber View Post
A 1/2" ratchet / breaker bar should fit into the plug.
Thanks.

OK not trying to be thick but just take my racket wrench with no fitting and just use that?

It takes a Breaker bar to get that plug out, or does it come out with normal force?
Old 10-03-2017, 08:39 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ualdriver View Post
Thanks.

OK not trying to be thick but just take my racket wrench with no fitting and just use that?

It takes a Breaker bar to get that plug out, or does it come out with normal force?
Yep, it should plug into the slot.
The plug should have been torqued to 50 ft lbs, it would take a good snap with a rachet, a breaker bar or long rachet would make it easier to loosen.
Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 08:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber View Post
Yep, it should plug into the slot.
The plug should have been torqued to 50 ft lbs, it would take a good snap with a rachet, a breaker bar or long rachet would make it easier to loosen.
Thanks for the information!
Old 10-03-2017, 11:01 PM   #8

How many oil drain plugs does my Cummins ISB engine have? Did I miss one?
Old 10-04-2017, 04:37 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Don't know about an ISB, but my ISC has two. The upper drains about half the oil, and the lower drains the other half (or all if you just use the lower!) The advantage is that you can drain half the oil into a 5 gallon pail, dump that used oil, then drain the remaining oin into that pail. Much cleaner.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
Don't know about an ISB, but my ISC has two. The upper drains about half the oil, and the lower drains the other half (or all if you just use the lower!) The advantage is that you can drain half the oil into a 5 gallon pail, dump that used oil, then drain the remaining oin into that pail. Much cleaner.
Excellent idea. I'll have to look and see how many mine has for sure.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:20 PM   #11

Quote:
You should have only one drain plug in the bottom of the pan.

My 6.7L takes three gallons of oil and I use the Fleetguard oil filter which can be purchased on line. I drain my engine oil with the Fumoto valve. I usually drain my oil in the morning when most of the oil is in the pan, it may take up to 30 min's for the pan to completely drain with the drain valve.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
You should have only one drain plug in the bottom of the pan.

My 6.7L takes three gallons of oil and I use the Fleetguard oil filter which can be purchased on line. I drain my engine oil with the Fumoto valve. I usually drain my oil in the morning when most of the oil is in the pan, it may take up to 30 min's for the pan to completely drain with the drain valve.
Thanks.

I've been back and forth with Fumoto a little bit. They're not exactly sure which valve fits my pan. Do we have the same pan? Do you remember which model Fumoto valve you ordered?
Old 10-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #13

Use a 3/8 ratchet (and a short extension if you wish) to remove the drain plug, its not all that tight so it is no problem to loosen. Although the 6.7 in my Ram holds 3 gallon the motor home take 4 gallons.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry View Post
Use a 3/8 ratchet (and a short extension if you wish) to remove the drain plug, its not all that tight so it is no problem to loosen. Although the 6.7 in my Ram holds 3 gallon the motor home take 4 gallons.
Thanks Larry.

Tags
cummins, engine