Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2021, 12:18 AM   #85

I have a similar issue as the OP with an overfilled crankcase. About 2 quarts. Shows about 3/8-7/16" high on the dipstick. Tried to get a 1/4" diameter tube down the tube to no avail. There is a restriction about 8" above the level of the oil. The metal DS just barely goes down. Tried to crack the drain fitting but it was tightened more than I think is correct. I'm taking the coach back to the shop to correct the level and ensure the pan threads are okay. Simpler in the long run.
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2021, 11:57 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnqball View Post
I have a similar issue as the OP with an overfilled crankcase. About 2 quarts. Shows about 3/8-7/16" high on the dipstick. Tried to get a 1/4" diameter tube down the tube to no avail. There is a restriction about 8" above the level of the oil. The metal DS just barely goes down. Tried to crack the drain fitting but it was tightened more than I think is correct. I'm taking the coach back to the shop to correct the level and ensure the pan threads are okay. Simpler in the long run.
I had the exact same thing happen when I tried to get the 1/4" tube down the dip stick hole. It got hung up 6-8" from the oil level. In my case I cut the end of the 1/4" tube at an angle and with a little twisting it dropped right in.
Old 08-31-2021, 03:19 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamer37 View Post
I had the exact same thing happen when I tried to get the 1/4" tube down the dip stick hole. It got hung up 6-8" from the oil level. In my case I cut the end of the 1/4" tube at an angle and with a little twisting it dropped right in.
Smart thinking! The oil fill tube makes a slight radius about 4 inches from the block but there is nothing that a tygon tube could snag or get caught on. Making that angular cut to guide it past that radius was pretty good thinking!

Bill
bneiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:03 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneiva View Post
Smart thinking! The oil fill tube makes a slight radius about 4 inches from the block but there is nothing that a tygon tube could snag or get caught on. Making that angular cut to guide it past that radius was pretty good thinking!

Bill
Thanks Bill, it was worth a shot and it worked lol.
Old 09-01-2021, 06:13 PM   #89

Inexperienced tech makes these mistakes.
My diesel mechanic never puts in the exact amount of oil when he does a change.
I cheats with one less quart, waits a while, does my lube job, checks the tire pressures, checks all my hoses, then he looks at the oil level ad adds the last quart if needed.
He told me it’s better that way than trying to drain a quart over.
He has 40 yrs experience
Here he is checking all my clamps
https://youtu.be/jy-JjiDpnLg
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:44 PM   #90

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just did an oil change. I was thinking about this post. Its been years since I drained out just a qt or two. I gave it a shot with the old oil. Opened unscrewed the plug. After about 20 seconds went to reinstall the plug. There was some splashing off my hands. It all went into the drain pan, which is 20 qts. If I had a small drain pan it would have been everywhere.

Putting in the drain plug was more difficult then I expected. The magnet was giving me a hard time to hand start the threads. After a few seconds and maybe 1/2 pint of oil I got it started.

So why would you not just take it back to the shop to correct??
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:13 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post

So why would you not just take it back to the shop to correct??
30 minutes each way to the shop and then wait for them to do it. I should be able to suck it out in 10 minutes or so.

Tags
led