Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-02-2021, 03:06 PM   #1

Oil overfilled by 2 qts ?

What happens on a ISB 6.7 360 if overfilled 2 qts? Does this contribute to hotter running temps?
capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2021, 03:10 PM   #2

May blow oil out of vent if it has one, burn excess. Worse thing is if the oil gets whipped up into a foam lubrication will suffer. Are you sure it is two quarts over, some oil pans hold more on that engine I believe?
ROUGHRIDER3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:19 PM   #3

Overfilled on oil , will result in the foaming issue described, and excessive oil getting past the piston rings into the combustion chamber, resulting in high combustion temperatures, due to engine running rich, the extra heat is of course transferred to the cooling system. So coolant temperature higher.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:58 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Overfilled on oil , will result in the foaming issue described, and excessive oil getting past the piston rings into the combustion chamber, resulting in high combustion temperatures, due to engine running rich, the extra heat is of course transferred to the cooling system. So coolant temperature higher.

+2. What you can end up with is the crank slaps into the oil.

It simple but messy. Drain out what you think is about 2qts. You can always add a little
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 08:36 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188

I have always tried to check my oil levels in my vehicles after the engine was sitting at rest and oil had drained back to the pan. Is this the recommended procedure on these motors? Mine reads over filled when I do that, or are these dipsticks known to be inaccurate?
Old 08-07-2021, 04:42 AM   #6

Most dipsticks are supplied by the MH coach mfgr. not Cummins. Yes some are inaccurate. The best method of correctly determining if the dipstick is correct is at oil change; add what Cummins calls in for crankcase and filter, then check dipstick, remark if necessary.
I too wait for oil to drain back into crankcase prior to checking level.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:15 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Most dipsticks are supplied by the MH coach mfgr. not Cummins. Yes some are inaccurate. The best method of correctly determining if the dipstick is correct is at oil change; add what Cummins calls in for crankcase and filter, then check dipstick, remark if necessary.
I too wait for oil to drain back into crankcase prior to checking level.

I never heard that before. Why in the world would Cummins not provide the dipstick for their own motor, that just doesnít sound right? Seems like a liability issue.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:39 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I asked the question of Cummins about the dipstick. Their answer was that when the engines are manufactured, they (Cummins) do not know what application that will end up being used in. It could be a MH, firetruck, over the road vehicle, etc. The final mounting of the dipstick and the required length varies, depending on how it is mounted.

Follow what Ray said above and you will be OK.
rvbiker45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnqball View Post
What happens on a ISB 6.7 360 if overfilled 2 qts? Does this contribute to hotter running temps?

Perfect time for a fumoto valve.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:44 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Right the procedure to verify makes since and I donít question that, it was just the other reason that didnít make any since. It does now with further explanation. I wanted to be sure that there wasnít some reason to not check it cold and at rest being it is up on the dipstick about 3/4Ē over full at a cold check. Itís written on the valve cover with a paint marker 5 1/2 gal. so someone has determined it (I guess) but where 5.5 gal lands on the dipstick is yet to be determined. Nowhere in the manual have I found how many qts it requires, it just says fill to full mark. Some of you with the same engine and coach model maybe could let me know where is full on your dipstick?
Old 08-07-2021, 08:35 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
Right the procedure to verify makes since and I donít question that, it was just the other reason that didnít make any since. It does now with further explanation. I wanted to be sure that there wasnít some reason to not check it cold and at rest being it is up on the dipstick about 3/4Ē over full at a cold check. Itís written on the valve cover with a paint marker 5 1/2 gal. so someone has determined it (I guess) but where 5.5 gal lands on the dipstick is yet to be determined. Nowhere in the manual have I found how many qts it requires, it just says fill to full mark. Some of you with the same engine and coach model maybe could let me know where is full on your dipstick?

No reason not to check cold and at rest.

When I got my coach, there was 34qt written on the valve cover with a paint marker. I don't know who and how they got that figure. The owner's manual says 24 qt but somewhere in there is also a comment to check the engine manual. The previous owner kept the level slightly below full mark to prevent oil spraying his toad.

I checked with Cummins with my engine serial #, they said I have the standard pan and holds 24qt-28qt Low-High (including filter). I just changed the oil & filter and with 27qt, the dipstic still shows slightly over the cross hatch. I'll find out next week if I have the oil spraying problem with that amount.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:25 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok well Iíll check with Cummins with my SN. Iím about 3/4Ē over full cold. Thereís no reason this has to be so difficult. I sent in an oil sample so Iíll might be changing soon anyway. Iíve done a lot of service/maintenance already so an oil change will just fall into the rest of it.
Old 08-07-2021, 07:53 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I thought my ISL was overfill by 2 qts. So I took out 2 qts. Next check it was 2 qts low. Put them back in. Now 2 qts too high. So now I leave it at 2 qts too high. Yes I'm checking it correctly.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:31 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I thought my ISL was overfill by 2 qts. So I took out 2 qts. Next check it was 2 qts low. Put them back in. Now 2 qts too high. So now I leave it at 2 qts too high. Yes I'm checking it correctly.

How is that reading on the stick?

Tags
led