Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-18-2021, 10:33 AM   #1

Oil pan seeping

Gooooooood morning ya all So during my last oil change I noticed my oil pan is starting to seep oil down the sides of it, so I lightly checked to see if ALL the bolts were loose (mechanic humor) and all is tight an secure. so im deciding on my next oil change to replace the pan gasket, kinda figure thats easier than having to wash my tow vehicle after every run. So I thought I would check in with all my gear head friends here on the site. Anyone else decided to get spreckel face? I have rebuilt 7.3, 6.0, 6.4 and 6.7s however I have limited knowledge with the 8.3 Cummins other than where the fuel filler hose goes It looks fairly cut an dry, however before I go buy the parts just needing to know if there are any other items I may need to consider replacing while im in there.
2003 HR, with 8.3 Thanks...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2021, 11:23 AM   #2

Hi rikadoo; I have a similar experience. On my previous 2000 Windsor and my now 2001 Windsor with the 8.3, I thought the same. I noticed an oil seep down the side of the oil pan. Of course the worst is the slober tube on the left side of the engine. Not sure if an 03 still has the slober tube. I thought that the oil pan was leaking between the pan flange and the block. Not so. After cleaning everything off I found that the oil was coming from around the oil pan bolts. Recleaned all the bolts off with some brake-clean and blew dry with compressed air. Needed to do this a couple of times to make sure no oil was left on surface. Applied a good RVT gasket sealer around the bolts and making sure it sealed around the bolt base to the pan. Let dry for at least 48 hours. So far it solved the problem in both coaches. I am not sure I would want to remove the oil pan on the Cummin's in my 01 Windsor as the hitch goes right below one section of the pan and attached to that is my hydraulic tank. Looks like a lot of stuff to remove just to get the pan off. Do not know how yours is designed. Thought I would pass along what I have experienced. Good luck and have a great week!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 08:30 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
As posted above, Before r&r pan gasket, I'd take a few cans of brake cleaner and wash it down....run the engine in driveway at high idle, like 30 mins or so at 1100/1200 rpm...check for leaks.
mackwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 07:53 AM   #4

I had the same oil leaking down the oil pan and collecting on the concrete pad below. After cleaning and driving several times I concluded it was the oil pan gasket. I bought a new one and installed it to fix the leak.
Be sure and download the bolt tightening sequence and get a torque wrench.

I installed 2 headless bolts on opposite sides of the block where the pan goes. That makes it a lot easier to position the pan. Having a helper is almost a necessity.
Towing a '14 Honda CRV
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
I had the same oil leaking down the oil pan and collecting on the concrete pad below. After cleaning and driving several times I concluded it was the oil pan gasket. I bought a new one and installed it to fix the leak.
Be sure and download the bolt tightening sequence and get a torque wrench.

I installed 2 headless bolts on opposite sides of the block where the pan goes. That makes it a lot easier to position the pan. Having a helper is almost a necessity.
Thank you Timjet its not a job i like to do cause of the drips of oil everywhere when the pan is off, however i kinda think when i pull the drain plug i gonna leave it that way for at least a day, before i take the pan off to limit that from happening. I like using the headless bolt idea so as to line it all up👍. Thanks again.