Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-20-2021, 02:43 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Oil Pressure

I had my annual service a couple of weeks ago, prior to the service my oil pressure was usually in the high 50's, since the service is stays in the low 60's (62ish). This brings up a couple of questions, 1) does this mean there was too much oil put in during the service, 2) do you check your oil level when the oil is hot or cold, I haven't been able to find a definitive answer online for either question. TIA.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2021, 02:47 PM   #2

Oil pressure is really not directly related to oil level.

Was the new oil the same viscosity as the old?

Was the ambient temperature the same?

Also possible that you have some fuel dilution with the old oil.

As long as oil pressure is in spec for your engine, you are good to go.

BTW oil level is checked COLD and in a larger diesel, only after it has been sitting for at least an hour to let all oil drain back to the pan.

And, with a DP, do not ASSUME that the engine oil dipstick is accurate. They are NOT installed by the engine manufacturer. Safest at next oil change to calibrate the engine oil dipstick.
Old 09-20-2021, 08:16 PM   #3

Some oils will lose viscosity du to shear with mileage such that their viscosity is reduced by the oil change. That may be why your oil pressure was lower prior to he change.

I always check the oil cold with the coach as level as I can get it. I know the oil capacity per Cummins QuickServ and my dipstick reads over full with the correct amount of oil per Cummins.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:03 AM   #4
Tech Aficionado

Most Cummins (if not all) use 15w-40 oil unless in arctic conditions. The only way you'd get something different is if something incorrect was put in. Higher viscosity would translate to slightly more pressure, but that's not all the reasons you can see more pressure.

One of the bigger reasons you will see more oil pressure is if a different, less restrictive oil filter is installed. This could be a "good" change if the filter has a larger grid area, but it could be a bad change if the filter is internally damaged. You can find huge debates raging on the internet about bad filter manufacturers to avoid, the reality is all of them have filter malfunctions at some point.

But then there's a third possibility and the most likely- your gauge is just reading within the margin of error being an electronic sender. Maybe the wires got wiggled or the coach is just happier to have an oil change and the gauge is how it's expressed. With magneto needle gauges, the gauge generally just needs to move and not necessarily be accurate to any particular radians. The actual oil pressure is probably a lot lower than the gauge reads, but as long as it's at least got expected pressure at idle (a shocking 10-15psi, with 25-35psi at governor speed) there are no issues to report.
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I went to an Freightliner Oasis Truck center, they put in Shell Rotella T5 10w30, from what I read it is a semi-synthetic and can be used as a replacement for non-synthetic 15w40, as is recommended by Cummins. I'll check my oil level later this week.