RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-22-2021, 12:11 PM   #1

Oil pressure indication issues

I had posted regarding this issue several months ago with no resolution, so I have done more research and will try again. 1st, I have a single oil pressure "switch" and not a sender. 2nd, I have the Cummins service bulletin that shows the procedure to convert the "sender" to a "switch" and how to reflash the ECU to simply see and indicate (on the dashboard gauge) 55 psi. It also sends a 55 PSI signal to my Silverleaf system. It appears to have been converted, per service bulletin 3377931 after January 2006. Here is the link to the SB. file:///C:/Users/Accounting/Desktop/Oil%20Pressure%20Switch%20Installation.html. To avoid any arguments, I have a switch, not a sender. I have a single switch. No other device is sending OP info to the ECU or gauge. It began as a temporary malfunction, but now, when I turn the ignition on, the OP gauge pegs at max, check engine light. oil light and buzzer all alarm. The op switch is normally closed, so it appears the ECU is looking for an open, rather than closed circuit to indicate the pre-programmed 55 PSI. The error message is "engine oil pressure.....low voltage". Was able to clear the fault code before, but now it throws the code the moment the ignition switch is in the on position, prior to starting. Weather permitting, I hope to install a new pressure switch. I have seen others with this issue, one with the screen name EPP.....Looking for input from those that have had this same issue and found a resolution. Thanks
reosw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2021, 12:47 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would double check the actual actual pressure. On my ISB there is a OP test port just above the the oil filter. I think its a 1/8" plug. Looking at you from the top of the filter mount. When I checked it when I was having pressure problems it was at about 65 psi cold, figured it was because it was so much closed to the oil pump then the sensor/switch.

I also did the SB that changed the sensor 3 wire to the sensor or switch to 2 wire. A few time I have seen it pegged with out even starting the engine. Over time when it happens, I have found to turn the ignition switch on for a few seconds and off for a few seconds, repeating for 4 - 5 times and it seems to clear it. I do not get high OP warning or alarms.

The other thin is there is a OP bypass valve. Easy to take out,
but a pain to get the threads started because of the spring is fighting you. It is also on that filter mount. It's a nut maybe 17 -19 MM. There is a very strong coil spring and a piston that should freely move up and down. I checked mine to make sure there were no burs and it traveled freely. The piston should be able to be pulled out by sticking your finger into it.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:03 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I was thinking a little more about it. As a 2 wire sensor/switch there is only two states. On or off. But the OP is monitored for three condition, Low, normal, and high. So when its pegged is it a result of it trying to light up a idiot light? So when it is pegged does it representing either a low or high OP???
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:18 PM   #4

The change in 2006 was to a single wire "switch" The switch itself it grounded to the block so only one wire is required. Several variations of the problem have occurred, Initially the "gauge" going straight to 55 psi the moment the ignition was in the on position. Then I began getting the pegged gauge, check engine light and flashing oil idiot light on the display panel, along with the same buzzer used to indicate low air pressure. I was able to clear the check engine light with my Silverleaf diagnostics and noted the error engine oil pressure....low voltage. As you stated, the switch has only 2 states...closed or open, so it could not sense a high oil pressure condition, only low. At this point, the ECU throws the code the moment the ignition is on without starting the engine, so high OP cant be the issue. I clear it and it immediately throws another fault code, so the actual OP cant be the issue. I do have a new switch and harness and hope to take advantage of the warm weather to change this week. If that does not solve the issue, I assume Ill attempt to get in touch with Cummins tech support.
Old 02-22-2021, 03:22 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Is this a Cummins ISC engine?
These engines are used in lots of heavy equipment that only requires the Cummins oil pressure sensor. Most coach builders install a second oil pressure sensor for the dash.
Regardless, I would replace it. Many times you can replace them from inside the coach through the hatch.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM   #6

ISL 400. If there were a second "sender" for the dash gauge, how/why would it provide a constant 55 PSI indication, exactly the same as the reflashed ECU sends after the conversion from a sender to a switch mandated by the 2006 SB from Cummins which eliminated the sender and reprogrammed the ECU. This, from the SB conversion from a 3 wire sender to a 1 wire switch. "With the engine running, monitor the engine oil pressure in INSITE™ electronic service tool. If correctly installed, INSITE™ electronic service tool will show 397 kPa [55 psi] plus or minus 7kPa [1 psi]." Here is the link to the SB. file:///C:/Users/Accounting/Desktop/Oil%20Pressure%20Switch%20Installation.html
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM   #7

Spoke with Cummins this morning and the "switch" is directly connected to pin 47 of the ecu which was re-flashed during the sensor to switch conversion to send 55 PSI info to any device attached to it, which is why the gauge and silverleaf both show 55. Silverleaf continues to show 55 when the gauge pegs, but given the check engine light it triggered at the same time the gauge pegs, they must be fed by the same source. In fact, resetting the error code momentarily causes the gauge to drop back to 55 PSI so the ECU is driving the gauge.
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM   #8

Finally validated.....from Freightliner. "Hi Jim,

Your assumption is correct, FCCC did not add any other oil sending unit on this unit. In addition, canít speak at all about any Cummins modification as to what it may have changed. In the original gauge, normal range was between 30-65 psi, but again this may not be relevant today after a Cummins modification.

....and from Newmar when I asked if they installed any oil pressure related harware "That actually will be chassis which I believe for you is Freightliner".

Tags
cat