Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2022, 10:32 AM   #1

Oil sensor 8.93 cummins

I have been unable to locate a source for the oil sensor for the Cummins 400 hp 8.93 ILS that is in my MH. I've been researching using the part number on the old sensor and so far all cross-referenced sensors will not fit. Interested in hearing from individuals that have successfully removed and replaced same.
Cav 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2022, 01:55 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Do you have a part number of the old one?

On my engine Cummins has changed the original oil sensor, which gave a graduated oil pressure reading, to a switch that will read 55 psi. Not sure why they did it but if my oil sensor fails I would have to take it to Cummins for the new sensor and the ECM reprogramming, cost !~$400.

There have been posts on this and someone posted that there is an oil sensor that will replace the old one and provide the graduated oil pressure. Here is a thread I found, it has the part number you might be able to try. I bought one to carry as a spare.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/350...or-393172.html
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 01:55 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
What part number.is stamped on it?....is this the one located just behind and above the starter?

Perhaps double check the part # in Cummins quickserve....

There's also a part # supercede link as well if you put the part # in

https://parts.cummins.com/
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 06:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
do you have a part number of the old one?

On my engine cummins has changed the original oil sensor, which gave a graduated oil pressure reading, to a switch that will read 55 psi. Not sure why they did it but if my oil sensor fails i would have to take it to cummins for the new sensor and the ecm reprogramming, cost !~$400.

There have been posts on this and someone posted that there is an oil sensor that will replace the old one and provide the graduated oil pressure. Here is a thread i found, it has the part number you might be able to try. I bought one to carry as a spare.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/350...or-393172.html
Old 10-01-2022, 07:31 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
That is the same sensor/sender that is for my 8.3, it is not available anymore, it is superseded by the switch.

This is what I ordered based on other posts, I have not tried it but it is suppose to be a direct replacement.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/384198815175
Old 10-01-2022, 07:39 PM   #6

I did replace mine 4 years ago on my ISC...used the one James linked to ....I think the switch is same on all of them.

All it does is tell the ECM the engine has oil pressure at cranking speed and allow it to start.
Old 10-01-2022, 08:02 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
I did replace mine 4 years ago on my ISC...used the one James linked to ....I think the switch is same on all of them.

All it does is tell the ECM the engine has oil pressure at cranking speed and allow it to start.

There ya go, thanks Mackwrench.

If your original sender goes bad it will send a CEL and derate the engine. Back ~3-4 years ago I was helping another Monaco owner off line and that's what happened to him. After eliminating pretty much every other cause I thought it might be the oil pressure sender, he took it to Cummins and sure enough that's what it was but they would only install the new version "switch" which required the ECM to be reprogrammed. I think he paid ~$450 to have it done.
Old 10-02-2022, 06:20 AM   #8

When mine failed, engine would not start.
Old 10-02-2022, 07:11 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackwrench View Post
When mine failed, engine would not start.

How did you know it was the sensor??? Did you have any way of reading codes??

The individual I helped could start his rig but was derated, not sure what it is suppose to do.
Old 10-02-2022, 08:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
How did you know it was the sensor??? Did you have any way of reading codes??

The individual I helped could start his rig but was derated, not sure what it is suppose to do.
Yes. Happened in parking lot in Daytona, I have a inexpensive scan tool / code reader. It'll read live data. Showed no oil pressure at cranking. I unplugged the sensor and it started up, I drove it home, but CEL light was on.

Mine is a 1999 ISC, not sure what if any changes where made as far as derate goes in later engines, but once the switch is replaced and ECM programed for it, I don't think it'll start if switch fails, or engine has no oil pressure.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:31 PM   #11

I have no idea if this will help or not: Cummins 6C.8.3 maintenance manual
The 8.3 and 8.9 have the same block, the 8.9 is stroked.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 04:32 AM   #12

It certainly will help me if not with this problem but with future issues of just understanding how to best take care of the engine.
Thanks
Old 10-06-2022, 01:30 PM   #13

You also might find this useful: https://www.cummins.com/support/manuals

I am so sorry, I didn't read your initial post information correctly. You do not have a 6C8.3, but rather an ISC 8.3. There are many differences, so disregard the manual I linked to in reply #11.
You will find the correct manuals in this link.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 08:16 AM   #14

Ray...

Looked at the link and a manual for an isc8.3 is not there

Should i go ahead and purchase the one there is there same stuff in there?
cyqk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins