Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oil test results

Iron shows 143 after 9739 miles and water was a positive but negative on the antifreeze.

What should the iron be and why would it be high like that?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2015, 01:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Iron shows 143 after 9739 miles and water was a positive but negative on the antifreeze.

Can you give us a copy of the report to get an idea of the Whole Picture? Was this sample before or after your failure? Was the oil changed when you bought the coach? Do you have a sample of the new oil to compare?
Old 03-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #3

Quote:

The Cummins ISM which is a 10.8 liter engine shows a universal average iron of 17. Mine typically runs 7-13 over the 8 years I've owned it. The big 15 liter ISX would certainly be higher but 143 certainly points to some issue. Iron can come from many sources and the engine block/cylinder walls are certainly high on the list.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 01:52 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Hopefully it'll come through. This was BEFORE the engine failure and I didn't get it till today.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf oil report.pdf (298.8 KB, 99 views)
Old 03-20-2015, 03:07 PM   #5

On my little C8.3L with 95,000 miles, iron is constant at 5 parts. Universal Average is 15.

Seems like Premier could have had info on hand before sale?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 03:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Hopefully it'll come through. This was BEFORE the engine failure and I didn't get it till today.
Where did the sample go to take so long. I pull one on my C9 because of high copper on 3-6-15 and got an email back 3-11-15 and then got it in letter form 3-13, went to Peterson Cat, Eugene
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #7

Quote:
High Fe but others are near reasonable amounts which kind of indicates the problem was not a combustion area problem such as Pistons, upper end bushings etc.
Did the coach sit in outside storage for a while? I'm thinking water down the air intake? Or condensation? Do you suppose water could have entered either Intake or Exhaust (not sure how it could get in the Exhaust but) and caused a seized valve stem to guide.
Did you put any miles on before you pulled this sample? Water should burn off very quickly is why I ask.
Lots of questions. Don't suppose they would share any photos they may have taken of the failure?
How is the air filter mounted and is there any way for water to accumulate in this area? Do you know much about the history of this coach? Outside storage? Did the PO like to pressure wash it and maybe fill the intake?
I'm not familiar enough with this engine to know if this is a common failure on this model or not but in general, I have not heard of this problem.
Any Cummins Techs listening in on this?

I used to make my living on failures like this. Find them intriguing. Broken pieces will tell the story. Just need the right coroner on the job.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
High Fe but others are near reasonable amounts which kind of indicates the problem was not a combustion area problem such as Pistons, upper end bushings etc.
Did the coach sit in outside storage for a while? I'm thinking water down the air intake? Or condensation? Do you suppose water could have entered either Intake or Exhaust (not sure how it could get in the Exhaust but) and caused a seized valve stem to guide.
Did you put any miles on before you pulled this sample? Water should burn off very quickly is why I ask.
Lots of questions. Don't suppose they would share any photos they may have taken of the failure?
How is the air filter mounted and is there any way for water to accumulate in this area? Do you know much about the history of this coach? Outside storage? Did the PO like to pressure wash it and maybe fill the intake?
I'm not familiar enough with this engine to know if this is a common failure on this model or not but in general, I have not heard of this problem.
Any Cummins Techs listening in on this?

I used to make my living on failures like this. Find them intriguing. Broken pieces will tell the story. Just need the right coroner on the job.
No pictures of the failed engine.
Rig was stored inside at Premier, no idea before that other then it looks like it was stored inside.
Air intake is low down on the passenger side just in front of the rear "bumper" and well protected.
Sample was taken before we drove it about 3 miles a couple weeks before we bought it. Wasn't enough to really warm the engine up.
Apparently this failure is common from what I'm finding, seems to be only the 2007 (DOHC) 650 HP versions. Cummins NW has admitted to having four of them in for repairs for the same thing, dropped valve in #6. Two were Class 8 trucks and now two MH's, ours being the last.
Cummins did an investigation some while ago and has issued new heads and valves to take care of the admitted problem.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:44 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
I'll be following this incident as I have a Cat C-13 and after an oil analysis last fall I found that the copper content was very high. Cat told me to go ahead and put more miles on and then have another analysis but we are parked in Palm Springs until at least the end of the month. No symptoms of any problem yet. Air intake is high near the roof passenger side at very rear.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:28 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
On my pre purchase oil sample for our ISM, it was 29. I had no idea at the time what the type of oil or change interval. I have since learned all of that data. For comparison, the Fe was 27 for my Onan 10K. i have since changed the oil on bolth and will sample again at the end of the season.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:09 AM   #11

Quote:
No pictures of the failed engine.
Rig was stored inside at Premier, no idea before that other then it looks like it was stored inside.
Air intake is low down on the passenger side just in front of the rear "bumper" and well protected.
Sample was taken before we drove it about 3 miles a couple weeks before we bought it. Wasn't enough to really warm the engine up.
Apparently this failure is common from what I'm finding, seems to be only the 2007 (DOHC) 650 HP versions. Cummins NW has admitted to having four of them in for repairs for the same thing, dropped valve in #6. Two were Class 8 trucks and now two MH's, ours being the last.
Cummins did an investigation some while ago and has issued new heads and valves to take care of the admitted problem.
Sounds like Cummins knows they have a problem. Are they going full pop or partial? I bet you are relived.
In light of what you say, I'm guessing the water might be condensation from short spell runs and not getting fully up to temp.
Once you get it back on the road, you might want to grab a sample every 2-3 K to keep an eye on things for the first while. Cummins might even buy into that for their benefit.Try and use a lab that turns their reports out a little more timely.
I was involved with a couple of their KT19 nat gas engines a few years back that had some issues and once they got over the initial shock, they went out of their way to resolve the problem. Took a while but they got it done....
Good luck.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Sounds like Cummins knows they have a problem. Are they going full pop or partial? I bet you are relived.

In light of what you say, I'm guessing the water might be condensation from short spell runs and not getting fully up to temp.

Once you get it back on the road, you might want to grab a sample every 2-3 K to keep an eye on things for the first while. Cummins might even buy into that for their benefit.Try and use a lab that turns their reports out a little more timely.

I was involved with a couple of their KT19 nat gas engines a few years back that had some issues and once they got over the initial shock, they went out of their way to resolve the problem. Took a while but they got it done....

Good luck.

Good ideas from Dennis. I have found both Blackstone & JG Lube services to both be great. I use Blackstone for engine because I started with them & like the history. JG is great for the Allison.

While the engine is apart you might get them to install an oil sampling port with a remote sampling valve mounted back at the rear of the engine. You can then take a sample right out of an oil passage while running & get a pristine sample. I did this on my Allison & may do it for the Cummins.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Good ideas from Dennis. I have found both Blackstone & JG Lube services to both be great. I use Blackstone for engine because I started with them & like the history. JG is great for the Allison.

While the engine is apart you might get them to install an oil sampling port with a remote sampling valve mounted back at the rear of the engine. You can then take a sample right out of an oil passage while running & get a pristine sample. I did this on my Allison & may do it for the Cummins.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

I like the sample port idea. Presently, I take them from the dipstick tube with a sample pump and "It Works" but one of these days I'm gonna install the sample ports. After my nap......LOL

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-21-2015, 03:33 PM   #14

I use Blackstone Labs also. Their turn around time is pretty quick with an e-mail with the results.

Tags
test