Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
They are really the same motor. The L has like a .4 inch longer stroke. Aside from the wristpin issue, the Ls are just as robust. From a power standpoint its probably about a wash, early Ls were in slightly bigger units and later ones while uprated to 425 are usually saddled with DEF/DPF
I agree the ISL should be pretty much as bullet proof as the ISC. If shopping, I'd avoid the wrist pin engines, but look for a 2004+ coach with the VGT. The combo of the Common Rail Fuel delivery, with Variable Geometry Turbo - does provide a sweeter HP/Torque curve then the CAPS era ISL. And Braking Horse Power could be either Jakes Compression, and or Exhaust. But with Exhaust, the VGT also adds to Braking HP.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 10:25 PM   #30

Paranoid about early ISC 8.3 Reliability

The ISL is just a stroked ISC. It’s the same engine with a different crank and a longer stroke to increase the displacement.
More cubes = more power.
Our 400 hp ISL has 106,000 on it now. It still runs like new and doesn’t use any oil.
A Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:48 AM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
My '02 ISC 350 had cracked exhaust manifold at about 120k, and CAPS pump failure at 120k. Otherwise, it just runs great.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 04:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman1 View Post
The key word in your post is "seemingly". Not sure where you are getting your information. These engines are renowned for being bulletproof. I have the CAPS era ISC 8.3 uprated to 350 hp which is the most Cummins will authorize. In 18 years it has seen 85K trouble free miles.

Out of the hundreds of things that can go wrong on these complicated machines, that big diesel engine back there is the last thing I think about.
What is this “uprate” you speak of? Any info you can share? Thanks!
Trexoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:37 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexoffroad View Post
My understanding is the uprate is a Cummins software installation to the ECM that allows increased horsepower and improves the torque curve. Approved and sold through Cummins.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:18 PM   #34

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trexoffroad View Post
banks used to make a module - they are no longer avail. You also run into the limits of the alison 3000. The 4000 is rated at 1600 ft/lbs.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:54 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy braden View Post
banks used to make a module - they are no longer avail. You also run into the limits of the alison 3000. The 4000 is rated at 1600 ft/lbs.

My ‘02 ISC has the Banks power pack. Previous owner had it installed. Love the power. Too bad Banks quit making the kit.

The only potential issue I know of with the ISC is if the lift pump fails it could kill the fuel pump which is pricey.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 09:55 AM   #36

Looking at a 2012 Dynaquest with this engine. Amy issues with the DEF?
mspenc45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:07 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspenc45 View Post
Looking at a 2012 Dynaquest with this engine. Amy issues with the DEF?
Get the engine serial number and check with Cummins. A 2012 model year coach could have an earlier engine without DEF. It's worth checking out, IMO.

Beyond that, the early years of DEF, roughly from 2010-2015, generally do not have the same issues as the later years, or the issues have been resolved through changes in hardware. A 2012 DEF system is probably less likely to have false error codes and derate situations if properly maintained.

This is my observation from reading about the DEF systems, and my own experience with a 2012 Mercedes diesel with DEF. I will defer to others who have more direct, personal experience with the early DEF diesel engines.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 01:24 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roberts View Post
Hello - how do I know if I have an old or new design of the exhaust manifold ??

Thanks

Alan
2002 ISC 350
I have an '08 Tiffin with the ISC 8.3 360 HP diesel, and I recently had Cummins change out my coolant this spring, and they mentioned it looks like the exhaust manifold has a small leak. I've left it for now, but it's something I'll look into after this season, but I've really not heard much about an exhaust 'issue' with exhaust manifolds on these engines? They aren't sure if it's the actual manifold or if it may just need a gasket, but it's certainly something I'll be keeping an eye out on!
Old 07-07-2021, 01:30 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstroke2000 View Post
I have an '08 Tiffin with the ISC 8.3 360 HP diesel, and I recently had Cummins change out my coolant this spring, and they mentioned it looks like the exhaust manifold has a small leak. I've left it for now, but it's something I'll look into after this season, but I've really not heard much about an exhaust 'issue' with exhaust manifolds on these engines? They aren't sure if it's the actual manifold or if it may just need a gasket, but it's certainly something I'll be keeping an eye out on!
2.5 year old post
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 05:58 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman1 View Post
The key word in your post is "seemingly". Not sure where you are getting your information. These engines are renowned for being bulletproof. I have the CAPS era ISC 8.3 uprated to 350 hp which is the most Cummins will authorize. In 18 years it has seen 85K trouble free miles.

Out of the hundreds of things that can go wrong on these complicated machines, that big diesel engine back there is the last thing I think about.
While Cummins was making the 8.3 it was to most-used engine in dump trucks.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:23 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
DITTO for my 2004!
DITTO on my 2002….140,000

2002 Newmar Dutch Star 36’ - Cummins ISC 8.3 350 hp- Spartan Chassis -
3000MH Allison….2003 Jeep WranglerX
1320Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:31 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
2.5 year old post
May be an old post, but my Cummins is still running great, after a recent 2,500 mile trip! Of course, fuel being the largest expense on trips these days, we may be slowing down on long trips, but I'm astounded at the repair costs these days from past maintenances at Freightliner. I had the air dryer maintained and a new Serpentine belt installed, and it was over $1800. for these updates.