Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2014, 02:44 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Peak Braking Definition?

Does anyone know what is meant by "Peak Braking" in relation to a cummins engine. My VmsPc shows a PID for Peak Braking.

I am searching for a method to know if my exhaust brake is working properly. I thought of installing a micro switch that would be actuated by the exhaust brake air cylinder piston shaft and temporarily connecting the switch to an LED to show if the piston was actuating. However, that is proving to be difficult due to problems in mounting the switch.

I was thinking that "peak braking" might be associated in some way with the operation of the exhaust brake, or show some indication of exhaust braking.

My transmission shifts down to 4th gear when the exhaust brake is activated so it is difficult to determine if the reduction in speed is the downshift or due to exhaust back pressure. To test this, while descending a grade, I have manually shifted down to 4th and then actuated the exhaust brake, but it is hard to tell if the exhaust brake is slowing the coach since there really isn't a drastic reduction in speed, as I would expect.

Hence, trying to find another method of testing.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
On my pacbrake, I used a cheater wire fastened to the positive terminal of the chassis battery and touched it to the terminal of the solenoid near the pacbrake cylinder (removed the installed positive wire first) to see if the cylinder would react and the butterfly valve rotate.

That does not test the electrical sequence from the switch however.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I do not see a solenoid, only the air line going into the cylinder. There maybe one back up under the engine compartment, but if so, it's not very accessible. I'm working from the top of the engine, under the bed where I have a engine hatch that exposes the top of the engine and the exhaust brake and the turbo unit. I will look again to see if I can see one. That would be easier than removing the air line and pressurizing the cylinder via an air tank.

"I was thinking that "peak braking" might be associated in some way with the operation of the exhaust brake, or show some indication of exhaust braking."

If that is the case VmsPc will show some information re: exhaust braking.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
From Silverleaf: Peak Braking | SilverLeaf Electronics, Inc.

Peak Braking

What is the unit definition and how can that gauge assist me?
MPH/Sec
I'm not sure how it can assist you. We put it in for some of our customers that test chassis. It's much easier to compare two sets of brakes using this than trying to measure braking distances.

Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
From Silverleaf: I'm not sure how it can assist you. We put it in for some of our customers that test chassis. It's much easier to compare two sets of brakes using this than trying to measure braking distances.
Well.... huummm... clear as mud. Well I created the gauge in VmsPc so will see what it shows and when.

Thanks for searching for that. I should have thought about checking on the SilverLeaf website.