Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2022, 05:54 PM   #1

Question on checking coolant

Recently purchased 2002 Dutch Star with 8.3 ISC….it has green coolant that prior owner says he never changed since new .
Cummins says it was filled with blue coolant from factory so seems like it has been changed.
So…. I obviously want to check it and see if it’s ok.
Looking at the picture the freeze point and nitrite is ok….my question is for the molybdate level, the middle pad on the test strip is the moly and it does not match any color, I tested twice and first one was the same.
Two friends think it is closest to the bottom row 0, which is white like rows 3 and 5.
Any ideas??Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2194.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	423.5 KB
ID:	352821
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2022, 06:23 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Yes, the molybdate level is extremely low.
Do yourself a favor, Flush your system completely and fill with the appropriate amount of Cummins/Fleetguard ES Compleat Blue, a new non charged coolant filter and never worry about it again. Six gallons of concentrate was just right for our ISC side radiator.
It's what Cummins recommended for the older ISC, as the ethelyne glycol coolants are compatible with their sensors.

https://www.amazon.com/FLEETGUARD-CO.../dp/B00D1FK72M
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:33 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When in doubt...change it out.

I have a policy of replacing hoses, belts and antifreeze every five years no matter what.

When were those items last replaced in your 2002 Dutch Star? Easier to do it now than along side the road broke down somewhere.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:40 PM   #4

Your chassis maker, NOT the engine maker installed the coolant.

And, irrespective of what it is and how it tests, at 20 years old, REPLACE IT!
Old 01-02-2022, 07:57 PM   #5

Yes I am definitely going to change the coolant, just would like to know how to read the test strips and this one through me a curve.

If the moly is around row 0 then the fluid is testing OK because the nitrite is in the F column, your reading is where the two columns intersect and according to Cummins you need to be below 3.0 to be good.
mmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 12:27 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
You will not need test trips on the new generation coolants that will replace what you have. Fleetgard has a flush additive that will help clean the system internally and reduce buildup and overheat issues in the future. Use it for the flush step. If you are not getting premixed coolant (50/50), be sure to mix the antifreeze concentrate with distilled water. As mentioned, the new water filter should be filter only with no additives. Your coach is way overdue for this.
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 05:24 PM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Good chance that coolant didn't have molybdate in it, so you would use line 0.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:51 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Those test strips have an expiration date printed on the package. If past that, or have been subjected to moisture or high temps, the test results may be inaccurate. Trying to find up-to-date test strips seems to be a challenge.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:14 AM   #9

Why not draw a sample for analysis before swapping it out. I would definitely change it, but at least you would have an accurate record.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Why not draw a sample for analysis before swapping it out. I would definitely change it, but at least you would have an accurate record.

IMO a waste of time and money.

Just flush and replace it.

If you are going to do this yourself (time consuming to do correctly, but definitely NOT something that demands more than rudimentary mechanical skill), let us know and we can give you the step by step. Yes, you will do a better job than a tech as he can't spend the time/you wouldn't want to pay him to do it the "best" way.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:47 AM   #11

I'm curious what the DIYers do with the drained coolant and first flush water?
I checked around here in NY and could not find any place that accepted coolant unless I stored it for an annual or semi- annual Hax Mat collection day... and then I'd have to be available that day.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I checked around here in NY and could not find any place that accepted coolant unless I stored it for an annual or semi- annual Hax Mat collection day... and then I'd have to be available that day.

Check with your city/county vehicle maintenance department. I have had good luck in having them take it for recycling.
Old 01-12-2022, 02:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Yes, the molybdate level is extremely low.
Do yourself a favor, Flush your system completely and fill with the appropriate amount of Cummins/Fleetguard ES Compleat Blue, a new non charged coolant filter and never worry about it again. Six gallons of concentrate was just right for our ISC side radiator.
It's what Cummins recommended for the older ISC, as the ethelyne glycol coolants are compatible with their sensors.

https://www.amazon.com/FLEETGUARD-CO.../dp/B00D1FK72M
I did this thinking that I would never have to worry about it again but after a year my test strips showed very low protection and after consulting with my local Cummins facility they told me that I still needed to use SCA charged water filters to maintain the protection. They gave me a bottle of the ES Complete SCA additive to bring it up to spec on the test strip and also a water filter with 2 units of the the additive to maintain the protection level until the next service.
If you read the back panel of the gallon jug, right at the top it says to use it with liquid SCA's and change the water filters at normal PM's. This is just a long life coolant that is good for 150K miles or 5 years, whichever comes first like most automakers have been using for the last 20 years.
Old 01-12-2022, 04:55 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I took mine to the local landfill. They have a section for hazardous materials (like car batteries, and such). I put the old coolant in the jugs that the new coolant came in and dropped off at the landfill. It cost something (I think it was around $10.00 at the time). Which is the "minimum charge" based on weight (vehicle weight coming in versus leaving weight).
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote