Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #1

Racor fuel filter issue

We have a 1996 monaco Dynasty, with 160000 miles having trouble with our cumin 6.c8.3 engine. we have the racor fuel system with the see through filter.
When the fuel tank is full an you start the engine the fuel comes through the see through filter right away, as the fuel tank goes down the longer it takes for the fuel to star flowing when you start it. when fuel get down to 1/2 tank the fuel takes so long that see through filter runs out of fuel an engine stalls. Also as fuel goes down you lose engine power. I have try changing the lift pump on side of engine, that did not help any. I also pulled tank an found nothing, there was no pump, an tank was nice an clean. i have also changed the filters 3 times also no help there. Not sure where to go from here
JIM N BARBAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2 . I've moved your post here to get some Cummins owners input.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM N BARBAR View Post
We have a 1996 monaco Dynasty, with 160000 miles having trouble with our cumin 6.c8.3 engine. we have the racor fuel system with the see through filter.
When the fuel tank is full an you start the engine the fuel comes through the see through filter right away, as the fuel tank goes down the longer it takes for the fuel to star flowing when you start it. when fuel get down to 1/2 tank the fuel takes so long that see through filter runs out of fuel an engine stalls. Also as fuel goes down you lose engine power. I have try changing the lift pump on side of engine, that did not help any. I also pulled tank an found nothing, there was no pump, an tank was nice an clean. i have also changed the filters 3 times also no help there. Not sure where to go from here
I'd guess an air leak in the fuel system tank side of the lift pump. If if were me, I'd replace the whole fuel line due to age.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 09:57 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had the same problem. The Wynn Racor unit is OK until it starts sucking air. Then it's game over. It's an unreliable, troublesome unit that will leave you stopped on the side of the highway.

I replaced mine with a Racor 790R30. It's a direct replacement, and is relatively straight forward to install. You can get it with an electric primer pump. I didn't. Mine has a hand pump. It's a breeze to prime after changing the filter. Just crack the breather fitting, pump the hand pump a few times until fuel comes out the breather, tighten the breather fitting. Done.

I highly recommend it the Racor 790R30. I have found it to be very reliable.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:50 PM   #5

Racor units from this vintage will leak air. Yours should stay full of fuel when the engine is shut down. (We replaced ours at 140,000 miles and 16 years of age.)

What type of fuel line do you have leading up to the Racor unit and between the Racor and the lift pump? The fuel line and or fittings, may also be deteriorated to the point where it will allow air in-leakage (but fuel will not leak out).

Replace the current Racor unit and consider replacing the fuel line from the tank to the lift pump. 8.3C engines with the P7100 pump will run on surprising amounts of air entrained fuel but performance and mileage is significantly degraded. If you make these changes you should notice a significant improvement.

Tags
monaco