Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:33 PM   #1

Radiator Cap Pressure Rating?

Can Anyone tell me the proper pressure rating for the radiator cap on the surge tank of an ISL?
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2014, 04:02 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koop View Post
Can Anyone tell me the proper pressure rating for the radiator cap on the surge tank of an ISL?
The chassis builder provides the cooling package within the engine builders perimeters, so Freightliner can tell you for sure. Most are 12 psi.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:11 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Most all manufactures of coolant base their charts on 15# caps, I think I have read as to where some have run a 7 psi cap before, mine has a 15# cap on it. The lower your operating pressure, the less boil over protction you have.
Read the fine print at the bottom of the chart, most all coolant mfg.'s charts are based on the same as you are seeing here. All manufacture's have the specs. on what pressure to operate the cooling system at.
Another thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/radi...ps-143589.html
(click on photo to enlarge it for reading)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anti freeze chart.png
Views:	392
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	57016  
Old 02-26-2014, 04:36 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses. Steve, my coach is built on a Peak chassis by WRV. I can't ask them and don't see anything in the owners manual.

Thanks for the link palehorse. I'm still not sure what the proper cap my application is.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:40 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Mike, Maybe if the mods. were to move your thread over to the Alpine fourm, one of them could answer your question, or just go over there and ask a new question. I would think it would not matter what chassis you have but the fact you have a Cummins ISL 400 w/side radiator, the cooling system would be the same as most..........capacity and cooling specs. for the engine.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:49 PM   #6

Quote:
Thanks for the responses. Steve, my coach is built on a Peak chassis by WRV. I can't ask them and don't see anything in the owners manual. Thanks for the link palehorse. I'm still not sure what the proper cap my application is.
Sorry about that. I just looked at your info & saw Gulfstream & assumed Freightliner. As was suggested, the guys who post on the Alpine forum will be able to help.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:19 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Mike , while you are waiting for answers to your question here is a thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/radi...ion-93637.html on this subject that has some really good info. in it and is interesting to read through.......pay attention to post #69
Old 02-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #8

Thanks guys!
Old 02-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Sorry about that. I just looked at your info & saw Gulfstream & assumed Freightliner. As was suggested, the guys who post on the Alpine forum will be able to help.
My bad Steve. I changed my signature but neglected to update the details in the control panel. It's corrected now.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #10

Quote:
My bad Steve. I changed my signature but neglected to update the details in the control panel. It's corrected now.
Congrats on your Alpine. They were on my short list of full timing coaches & I have a great respect for them. I spent a bunch of time at the Perry rally in about '05 sitting in an Alpine coach with Ron Doyle, who was president of Western RV talking about coach design. The Peak chassis is a good one.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #11

Koop- you should add a coolant recovery tank regardless; its an easy mount to the bulkhead left of the coolant surge tank. WRV only put one sight glass in the surge tank, should have put two so you know for sure what you level is. With the overflow, you fill up to the top, connect the overflow hose, and then when you are on the road some coolant gets pushed into the overflow, and it returns when engine cools down. Sight glass should then always be solid full.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #12

Thanks EM. A coolant recovery tank makes sense, it's almost a standard system. I wonder why WRV did without.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:17 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Most all manufactures of coolant base their charts on 15# caps, I think I have read as to where some have run a 7 psi cap before, mine has a 15# cap on it. The lower your operating pressure, the less boil over protction you have.
Read the fine print at the bottom of the chart, most all coolant mfg.'s charts are based on the same as you are seeing here. All manufacture's have the specs. on what pressure to operate the cooling system at.
Another thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/radi...ps-143589.html
(click on photo to enlarge it for reading)
The arrow is pointing to 70% glycol that is said to be the lowest freeze point. It is wrong! The lowest freeze point is achieved at 68% glycol, -94F. I KNOW this.

I believe I read on this forum that Cummins has a pressure cap recommendation and can be found in the O&M manual. I think it is at least 13 PSI but could well be 15 PSI, especially with cooled EGR.
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
Mike , while you are waiting for answers to your question here is a thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/radi...ion-93637.html on this subject that has some really good info. in it and is interesting to read through.......pay attention to post #69
Thanks! I forgot where I posted that.
spike45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator