Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #1

Remote Fuel Filter.

Does anyone know if Cummins has a remote fuel filter setup so changing my fuel filter will be easier. I saw a Class A with a Cat engine and in one of the rear bays it had a remote setup that held the fuel water separator, the fuel filter and a priming pump. Oh how I wish I had that setup. It would make servicing the engine a lot easier.
jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #2

Cummins , may supply an on engine fuel filter set up when the engine is shipped to the chassis manufacturer.
Chassis maker's specs.
If the chassis maker, moves the filter, to a remote location and installs a pre-filter, water separator set up. That is all part of the chassis build, out of Cummins/ Cat's hands.
On my Newmar, I'm glad Freightliner did the re-locate, 10 min filter changes.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #3

Napa auto parts and a very few others offer SOME SIZES of filter relocation kits. You must first Determine the thread size and o-ring size of the filter you want to re-locate, then google filter relocation kits and filter adapters in an attempt to find a match. I have a 1997 coach with a Cummins c8.3 and I relocated the engine mounted fuel filter by having an adapter made from a proper size Cummins filter head. I had to buy two remote filter heads for my required Fleetguard filter, then have one of the two machined into the filter adapter as I could not find one already made. The filter adapter is what goes on the engine instead of the filter, then has two fuel lines running to the new remote filter head location.
Attached Images

jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #4

Filter head photo...
Name:   image.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  38.5 KB

This is what I had to purchase two of. One of which I had the mounting bracket cut off at a machine shop PLUS had a groove cut in order to add a sealing o-ring (just like oil filter) to make the remote filter adapter. Took a machinist no time at all.

The fuel lines can be made to length quickly at any hydraulic line shop. IMPORTANT: add swivel connectors to at least one end of the fuel lines. Do not forget this as it is a MUST to prevent your remote fuel lines becoming loose from vibration. If possible, install them on both ends. makes install easier. I also included fuel line shut offs so no fuel leakes when I change the filter. Hydraulic shops have all the fittings you will need, just take the filter head with you so the can match thread size. Last tips: my new fuel lines were 84 inches. I.e., measure carefully so don't make them too short! Also wrap and protect them with wire loom and secure them with zip ties!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:02 AM   #5

Remote filter complete...
Attached Images

Old 08-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
I got a filter relocation kit through Cummins SW in Albuquerque in 2007 or so and they installed it.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Cummins , may supply an on engine fuel filter set up when the engine is shipped to the chassis manufacturer.
Chassis maker's specs.
If the chassis maker, moves the filter, to a remote location and installs a pre-filter, water separator set up. That is all part of the chassis build, out of Cummins/ Cat's hands.
On my Newmar, I'm glad Freightliner did the re-locate, 10 min filter changes.
Amen ! That set-up, along with the side radiator, is a godsend
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:53 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
All American Coaches come with a filter bay. I can sit on a stool and change both fuel filters.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #9

My fuel / water separator filter is in my rear bay. I would like to have a remote fuel filter put in so I don't have to try to change the one on the side of the engine. Also the Cat I saw had a priming pump attached to it as well. Cummins priming pump is a bear to get to and use.
jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm in the process of replacing the tiny primary strainer on my rig. Its location over the rear axle inside the frame member makes it very difficult to replace. I will be using the Parker/Racor 400 Series filter kit, using the 30 micron filter since it will be the primary filter. If used as a secondary filter one should select either the 10 or 2 micron filter. The one I have can be seen here:

[490R30]Racor FUEL FILTER/WATER SEPARATOR ASSEMBLY

JT
RV'nOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #11

Try www. Prime-Loc.com
st687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I wish someone made a "blank" or empty fuel filter that could be put in place of the engine mounted one on my 8.3.
There are now two with one almost impossible engine mounted one and one easy one at the battery bay.
Put a "blank" one the hard to replace one add and mount a new secondary fiter next to the primary one and problem solved. Wouldn't even have to increase the hose length much.

Is there such a thing?
Old 08-22-2013, 04:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillboy View Post
I wish someone made a "blank" or empty fuel filter that could be put in place of the engine mounted one on my 8.3.
There are now two with one almost impossible engine mounted one and one easy one at the battery bay.
Put a "blank" one the hard to replace one add and mount a new secondary fiter next to the primary one and problem solved. Wouldn't even have to increase the hose length much.

Is there such a thing?
That is why I installed the Prime-Loc kit on my 8.3, now both filters are on the frame in the rear compartment.
st687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by st687 View Post
That is why I installed the Prime-Loc kit on my 8.3, now both filters are on the frame in the rear compartment.
st687, is it safe to assume you purchased the prime loc several years back? Reason I ask is that I tried to purchase one about a year ago, just prior to making my own, and prime loc stated they discontinued the filter adapter and remote kit for the c8.3. I also see you have a Foretravel. Perhaps one day I will also be as lucky!

1997 American Eagle

P.S. - thank you for your service to our country!

Tags
fuel