Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2017, 09:02 AM   #141
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
I have cracked the pump open and so far, all I have found is the cheap POS gasket that breaks down and causes the leak. When I get more time, I'll tear it apart further but so far, no screen.
Don,
When you get the pump apart, could you take some pictures of the internals. I'd be interested to see how the the manifold is plumbed for the fuel return to the tank.

Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #142

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
Don,
When you get the pump apart, could you take some pictures of the internals. I'd be interested to see how the the manifold is plumbed for the fuel return to the tank.

Bill
It will be a week or so as we are on the road right now. I do plan to take it apart as far as I can
Old 06-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #143

'finally' placed order for the FA fass.. ordered at SummitRacing on-line(free shipping & same price). Checked first with fassride to be certain they are legit dealer.
The plan is still to place pump at tank for positive flow. This is info from 2 techs at fassride.com:
1. there should be no restrictions from tank to fass (no (1-way)check valve-though gave explanation for valve to keep fuel in line)-or
primary filter (1 said Davco should be placed after pump; the other said if try should change out if too much 'restriction' causing pressure drop)
2. removing the inline (pre)filter would void the warranty..said 1.... hmmm
3. will need additional readily available push lock fuel line (kit comes with 14')
gmgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:16 PM   #144

Tore apart the lift pump yesterday, not a lot to it to fail except the gasket. There is a simple wobble pump with metal vanes, a screen to filter out big chunks. My screen was totally clean. Down in the hole, you can see something that looks like a one way valve, I couldn't get it out. The mounting plate has various ports to plumb hoses. Not real exciting. The motor is installed with a crimp band so I didn't remove it. It is nothing but a simple 12VDC motor that turns the pump vanes. Inside of the pump was totally clean, just a crummy gasket that was falling apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170606_162630.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	164395   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170606_162420.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	324.2 KB
ID:	164396  

Name:	20170606_162141.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	242.0 KB
ID:	164397   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170606_162149.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	283.4 KB
ID:	164398  

Name:	20170606_162359.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	164399   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170606_162616.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	164400  

Old 06-08-2017, 07:47 AM   #145
TR4

Don, thanks for dismantling the pump and posting the pictures. I now see how much restriction the CAPS encounters pulling fuel through it. Now add over thirty feet of fuel line, one or two fuel filters. In a perfect world the CAPS is riding on the edge. Now add a dirty filter or a loose connection allowing air to enter the fuel system, starving the injection pump.

Bill
Old 06-08-2017, 08:50 AM   #146

It would be interesting to see what the flow rate is of the pump both GPH and pressure. It would be easy to do with the pump out of the system. Just hook up a few hoses and put 12VDC to the motor
Old 06-08-2017, 09:48 AM   #147

Holiday Rambler Owners Club

Well that explains it all! Great information Don!
That poor pump is put through a lot, especially on a coach, no wonder they fail so often and have been redesigned so many times. Don't forget the heat where its located, my factory fuel line routing would have added to the heat issue also. Its a wonder it made it to 62,000 miles when the original pump failed
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:33 PM   #148

Solo Rvers Club
Add me to the club. Last summer while traveling I-70 in Colorado, I was way under powered and couldn't make it over the passes. So, I had to turn around to go to a Cummins shop in Grand Junction. They replaced my fuel filter and the injector control valve module. After 3 days there, I got about 70% of my power back and was ready to get out of there after about $4k. Now that I have only 2 months warranty left, I decided to see if another shop in Farmington could get me the 30% back. $800 later, they said all was good, no codes, no leaking lift pump and nothing under warranty. After reading this thread, I am going to do the Fass mod. But they did say they found one problem on a test drive, but had no idea how to fix it. They said under wot, I had low intake manifold pressure. They said it measured 20 rather than 27. Maybe I should start a new thread, but wanted to ask here due to the wealth of knowledge I am seeing. Thank you.
Startech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 02:44 PM   #149

Monaco Owners Club
Is it possible that your CAC has too many leaks? Or possibly some leaks around the turbo?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:52 PM   #150

Solo Rvers Club
Seems they checked everything except the cac. I don't want to sideline this thread, so I will start another one. Thank you.
Startech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:57 PM   #151

Yup. Low boost usually points to a leaking CAC
Old 06-30-2017, 03:05 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmgr View Post
'my' service guy is loving this, but.... hasn't done this installation -Fass, gauges,davco and says he can't give me a time estimate... -- lord, what is this going to mean ?$$$$$
ended up with fass install similar to Smitty77, no gauges or davco... I understand shop used fass techs more than once, along with call in to Cummins... the end result was labor bill of some $2600 for me... they tell me it is running great ! (sure hope so)
Happy 4th everyone !
gmgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:03 AM   #153

Got "R Done......

Thank you Brad @ Protech Diesel in Kamloops BC. He Got 'R Done for us...... I mean have the FASS pump installed the (old) lift-pump bypassed ! he said they also eliminated quite some excess fuel plumbing and the second (rear) fuel filter.
After which he eliminated the pump code and >It stayed OFF< then we went for a test drive and it behaved awesome, (and all that in barely 5 hours too including having to run that return hose al the way to front to the tank filler tube!, Now we have great power, good take off, fuel mileage seems OK , So I drove it home, 58 Miles and all seems well. Lets hope we're not to soon !!!!

Thanks to every one here for all their help and suggestions, This community is so awesome and I will miss it now that we have to sell the MotorHome, but such is life, and then you move on.

Thanks again everyone you're awesome.......

The Very Best Regards,

Ed & Debbie
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #154

ColoradoHRE,,i and a failure last year with our 8.3 isc about this time of year.
Left SE Iowa on a very hot day to head to vegas area and Rv starts bucking close to omaha. Went to omaha cummins and they thought they figured it out and made it another hour 2 days later and started again.
Instead of paying for a 2500 tow bill to home i drove it home,, took us 10.5 hours to make a 4 hour trip.
Cummins in DM replaced some pumps parts and said it was fixed.
2 trips later and another fail, took it back and they fixed same issue under warranty.
Drove it about 200 miles and no issues, started to head to hershey park in oct for big swap and get to Indy and started bucking again but not as bad so head back home.
Back to cummins it goes and they then think its ecm taking out parts in pump, replace ecm and pump parts again and check all wiring on motor, motor to fuse box and box to switch, load tested fine and they drove it 3 hours with no issues and say its fixed.
Before I put it away for winter i decide to put new lines in, drop tank as far as i can to get my arms and head up in there to work on stuff and find return line smashed between tank and frame rail,,id say since day one cause it didn't look to me like tank had ever been dropped and according to newmar with what they say they look like the lines are original.
Fixed that and drove it a little and put it away.
I believe this was the issue from the beginning so if you have more issues have someone check that out.
I bought this RV last march and pump and lift pump was replaced,,not sure when but pump and lift pump has a build date of oct 2014 on them.
I'm going to put the fast pump on and have read this forum back and forth, lol!
i hope your issues are all figured out,,sucks to be sitting on the road when your to be having fun.
i have a question for TR4 or Jleano1 also. It was said there is a write up for how to wire in relay for factory lift pump to trick ecm to think its working.
Would greatly appreciate any and all pics and part #s for relays i might need to do this.
Have the pump already and haven't yet decided to put it next to tank or between primary and secondary filter. Fass send a filter with the pump but not sure if its what i want to use or not.
So many great ideas here its hard to decide but i believe positive pressure to the caps pumps has to be better.
Its like sucking through a straw compared to blowing through it.
Have a great 4th everyone!!
dirt racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help