Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #85
TR4

Waiter21,
Do you have one or two filters, and where are they located? Jleamo did his install with the pump and filter up front. I installed mine like Smitty in back using the two existing filters installed originally by Country Coach (only installed the pump). This made it very easy, only had to make two short hoses. Instead of a light, I would install a fuel pressure gauge, it's not much more work.

Bill
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #86

Ford Super Duty Owner
# of filters is unknown. I'm looking at this unit now, might purchase it. I'm still weighing the costs/benefits of buying DP over a gas.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #87

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you do make the purchase, let me know, I can draw a diagram and email it to you. Its simple when you see it but hard to grasp in a discussion.
jleamo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:18 PM   #88

Ford Super Duty Owner
^^ tnks
john
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:49 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleamo1 View Post
If you do make the purchase, let me know, I can draw a diagram and email it to you. Its simple when you see it but hard to grasp in a discussion.
I'd be very interested to see your diagram jleamo1, I just purchased a Fass pump with filter setup and was planning to install it myself bypassing one of the two original filters and the lift pump !!!!
Unfortunately life once again interrupted since I had a heart attack on the 19 of Feb. 1 Stint and minus 3 blood-clots later, I now have to find someone else to do it, More money I don't have down the drain.... But Hell I'm still alive right !

Anything you can do to help me to simplify the job so that when I get it done they can't tell me I have to also do This, This, and this, plus This, to rack up the Bill higher and higher !!!!

The guys that sold me the pump sound reasonable but I still have to Tow it there, 65 MLS. and they charge $110- an HR. so simple is better.

Much appreciated.

Regards,

Ed
RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #90

I would like to see the diagram also. Can you scan it and upload here with a link?
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 02:19 PM   #91

I will work on this on Monday on a Microsoft program so its not hand written.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:12 PM   #92
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjnt View Post
I would like to see the diagram also. Can you scan it and upload here with a link?
Do you have the same Country Coach filter system as show in post #27 ? If so the plumbing is very easy, just disconnect two hoses and have two hoses made up to the new pump. I used the design that Smitty used in his original post. (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isl3...mp-265692.html)

Bill
Old 03-04-2017, 12:22 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleamo1 View Post
I will work on this on Monday on a Microsoft program so its not hand written.
I only have acces to MAC so I hope it will be PDF or something similar, that would be awesome, or anything mac-compatible not that picky !!!

regards,

Ed

RVingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
Do you have the same Country Coach filter system as show in post #27 ? If so the plumbing is very easy, just disconnect two hoses and have two hoses made up to the new pump. I used the design that Smitty used in his original post. (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/isl3...mp-265692.html)

Bill

Bill, I believe I have the same coach as you 02 Intrigue, 36', 400 ISL.
I understand the plumbing part of the fuel lines. Then I believe you must unplug the electrical lines to the original lift pump, and add some kind of sensor to that plug.
Does the lift pump provide the return line to the fuel tank?
Also do you have to blow out the plugged fuel lines to get rid of fuel in the original lines and lift pump.
Brett
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:49 PM   #95
TR4

Brett,

The lift pump is mounted on the lift pump manifold. Excess fuel from the CAPS and cylinder head join at the manifold and return to the fuel tank.

I didn't blow out my lines when I capped them.

Adding a relay to the lift pump connection is to fool the computer into thinking the lift pump is still there (so it doesn't throw a code)

Bill
Old 03-04-2017, 08:20 PM   #96
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
Brett,

Adding a relay to the lift pump connection is to fool the computer into thinking the lift pump is still there (so it doesn't throw a code)

Bill
I should add, the relay is only there to fool the computer. It has nothing to do with controlling the Fass pump. This is the method Jon at Brazel's uses. Maybe a resister equal to the draw of the lift pump would work.

Bill
Old 03-06-2017, 08:56 AM   #97

Ok, I think I have all bases covered. If you have any questions feel free to ask. As TR4 mentioned above, the relay connected to the FACTORY fuel pump harness is only to trick the ECM into thinking there is a pump still present so you have no engine warning lights on. All you are doing is energizing the relay coil, nothing else is connected. Your power will come from a 12v ignition switched source you have to locate close to the pump. the FASS pump comes with a harness, fuse and relay, but its wired to connect to the factory ECM harness, DONT CONNECT TO THAT as it will shut the pump off after 30 seconds. I had to modify the FASS harness to make it work, the nice part is the connector you don't need you can use to make the "dummy relay" mentioned above. I extended the harness and placed the dummy relay in my electrical bay do its out of the weather.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FASS pump.pdf (101.5 KB, 190 views)
Old 03-06-2017, 10:03 AM   #98

TR4 & Jleamo1 - You two have taken this thread to a very positive level of assistance. Great road map for those that may wish to follow and go the FASS (Or other pump.) route.

The one thing I did not do, and may go back an add later, is the fuel pressure gauge.

And know buried in this thread TR4 pointed out that another non ignition 12v source, the one that Braze's Alan Sanders recommended and used for my install, is the Sauer Danfoss Fan Controller found on many coaches.

Our set up has worked (Knocking on wood!) flawlessly for us. Coming up on 14K miles now.

Now since you two, and others on this board with higher expertise, are so good at sharing your knowledge - how about a simple method to crank an additional 50-75HP, and heck even bump the torque up to say 1350Lbs - with our CAPS era ISL's!

All kidding aside. I really appreciate what this Cummins board does to help fellow Cummins owners. As to you go back and read over the years, experts cycle in and then for many reasons cycle out - but at any given time, this board seems to have an abundant group willing to help. Many thanks to all...
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help