Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 05:52 AM   #43

Monaco Owners Club
Well I finally took the muffler out and put in the straight pipe. The difficult part was removing the old stuff because of the rust. As I was taking it apart I just keep finding more and more rotted pipe. So I decided to replace everything from the PacBrake back. Putting everything back together was easier than the removal by far. Even the new shinny chrome tip!

When I started her up there was no noise difference that I could tell. The reason for this is because everything had so many holes in it anyway that it sounded normal to me.

We are getting ready to head to the west coast in July from New England. This will be the big test to see if I put everything on right!

I just want to thank jd956jd956 for starting this thread! Everyone's input was huge you guys saved me a ton of dough!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 12:37 PM   #44

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Reading this ... I know that below a specific sound level the police will not normally even look to see if you have done a mode like that.. And the only time it's going to shout at you is pulling up a mountain. or if you put the pedal to the metal and a just turned green light.

Wondering if they make "Glass Packs" in that size?

(For those who do not know, a Glass pack is a straigt through muffler design used on street rods. Of course with a diesel you'd need stainless steel wool not fiberglass, but .. I wonder if they make 'em.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttilaKara72 View Post
Well I finally took the muffler out and put in the straight pipe. The difficult part was removing the old stuff because of the rust. As I was taking it apart I just keep finding more and more rotted pipe. So I decided to replace everything from the PacBrake back. Putting everything back together was easier than the removal by far. Even the new shinny chrome tip!

When I started her up there was no noise difference that I could tell. The reason for this is because everything had so many holes in it anyway that it sounded normal to me.

We are getting ready to head to the west coast in July from New England. This will be the big test to see if I put everything on right!

I just want to thank jd956jd956 for starting this thread! Everyone's input was huge you guys saved me a ton of dough!
AK72 - I sure hope you enjoy it as much as I have and that it improves your performance "very noticeably" too! After you have driven a thousand miles or so, please let us know your thoughts and any mpg difference. BE SAFE ON THE HIGHWAY and Enjoy your vacation!
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Reading this ... I know that below a specific sound level the police will not normally even look to see if you have done a mode like that.. And the only time it's going to shout at you is pulling up a mountain. or if you put the pedal to the metal and a just turned green light.

(For those who do not know, a Glass pack is a straigt through muffler design used on street rods. Of course with a diesel you'd need stainless steel wool not fiberglass, but .. I wonder if they make 'em.
Interesting thought for sure... Have never heard of them for diesel... Regarding sound level, I think a couple of decades ago and back, patrol officers had time for loud exhaust, yet apparently no longer do as exemplified by all the super loud motorcycles out there riding the city streets and highways. I always chuckle when I see a motorcycle driver and passenger wearing those small foam ear plugs because their bike is so darn loud! I think one driving a motorhome would have to do something really "special" to get the average patrol officers attention since, in the big cities at least, they are grossly understaffed and spend the vast majority of their time running call to call...and, on the interstate highways cannot imagine too many out there looking for loud motorhomes... JMHO
Old 06-23-2014, 06:56 PM   #47

Forest River Owners Club
they say loud pipes saves lives, I say your riding the bike backwards, point the loud end of the pipe in the direction you want to travel in, anyways if you ever get pulled over for having to loud of an exhaust, and one of those loud bikes drive by just look at the cop and say REALLY
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:17 PM   #48

Aero 5050XL is a straight through muffler that is legal with no backpressure, made of polished 304 Stainless Steele. Ebay = $120.oo delivered.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:24 PM   #49

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have the Banks stainless muffler on my rig and have ben happy with it. Not louder but flows better. I like Banks because they actually dino test their products and publish the results.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:53 AM   #50

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:

That pretty much is what the aero 50X50 is!! I replaced my original muffler with one. I know it is now much more responsive than it was before. And not all that loud from where I sit. Well worth it as I see it!
Old 06-24-2014, 05:27 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd956jd956 View Post
AK72 - I sure hope you enjoy it as much as I have and that it improves your performance "very noticeably" too! After you have driven a thousand miles or so, please let us know your thoughts and any mpg difference. BE SAFE ON THE HIGHWAY and Enjoy your vacation!
Will Do jd956jd956. I will try to do some updates on the trip. If not I will give a full report on my return.
I think it is funny that you called me AK72. My sons name is also Attila and his his football number his senior year in high school was 47. The coaches called him AK47. He is now playing D-End in colleage and his number is 97. Unfortunatly AK97 doesn't have that same ring!
Old 06-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

When I was searching for a replacement to my muffler I looked at these. They are very popular with the light truck crowd and the small motors. Although they make these in 4 and 5 inch I could not find any that said they would hold up to ISC size and bigger. There were two that targeted the RV market, Aero and one other. A few are made that are not aluminized. By the time I put together the elbows and fittings to make it fit I was within shouting distance of the OEM muffler. I've had a straight pipe on my diesel pickup so I knew what it sounds like. I love the sound of open pipes on Hot Rods…..on my MH….not so much.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:55 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
I took my motorhome in to get checked out before we head out on a long trip. I ask the mechanic to take a look at the exhaust just to make sure I got everything okay. He said everything was fine and that was probably the best thing I could have done. The next thing I'm going to do is extend the slobber tube to the exhaust pipe so that I won't get any more oil all over the back of my motorhome. I am currently using the water bottle method.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:08 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by AttilaKara72 View Post
I took my motorhome in to get checked out before we head out on a long trip. I ask the mechanic to take a look at the exhaust just to make sure I got everything okay. He said everything was fine and that was probably the best thing I could have done. The next thing I'm going to do is extend the slobber tube to the exhaust pipe so that I won't get any more oil all over the back of my motorhome. I am currently using the water bottle method.

Sounds like we share a great sense of accomplishment and I think you are going to be even more pleased each and every mile! Hope AK97 has a great school year

Jeff on Lake Conroe
1997 American Eagle
2013 FJ Cruiser 4x4 Toad
Old 06-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
It sure got my attention when the exhaust clamp just before the muffler separated going up a hill. Very loud!
Old 07-07-2014, 08:16 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd956jd956 View Post
Hope this helps someone wanting more power out of their coach.... My 1997 American Eagle has the purely mechanical Cummins C8.3 325HP engine and I recently removed the OEM muffler and replaced it with a straight pipe. Just returned from our first trip since the swap, more than 1,000 miles to Alabama and back to Texas, and the performance increase was more than noticeable! It climbed and pulled all the interstate overpasses and high bridges with ease, as NEVER before. My engine exhaust gases temperatures went down by no less than 150 degrees and my maximum boost went from 22 to 24 pounds. My EGTs never crossed the 1200 degree mark under load which had previously always been a problem. It cost less than fifty bucks to make the swap and I will definitely NOT put the oem muffler back on. As a matter of fact, I did not tell my wife about the change until after we had driven more than 200 miles. The point is I had to TELL HER as she did not notice any louder engine noise, and neither did I. And actually, at idle in the rv park, and while entering and exiting the spring break crowded and full park, my exhaust did NOT turn any heads. I thought it would be a lot louder even though others on this and ForeForums stated the sound increase is not substantial. I would highly recommend this inexpensive modification as a starting point if you desire more power and lower exhaust gas temps. I pull a near 5,000 pound Toyota FJ cruiser 4X4 now with ease! My old coach no longer feels under-powered. My total miles driven were 1,171 at mostly 65mph, yet sometimes 70, and I refueled near home at the same station and pump and used 133 gallons of diesel for 8.8 miles per gallon which I would guesstimate to be about one half mile better than normal. With the improved performance, I would not have been sad to lose a half mile per gallon. Jeff 1997 American Eagle
I have a Coachmen Royal Class A with the Cummins C8.3 diesel in it how can I tell if it's the purely mechanical version.
dvkiel is offline   Reply With Quote