Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2021, 04:14 AM   #1
YC1

Retrain transmission after HP Uprate

I recently had my 400 ISL 2008 DPF, no DEF engine uprated by Cummins to 450 hp.

While the HP uprate was immediately felt at the fuel pedal with an increase in acceleration it was not as much as I though it might have been compared to a DigiCR module I had installed at one time.
I was not expecting drag strip performance of course and the better acceleration is nice.

After just watching a video on the Allison 3000 I was reminded that the transmission learns my driving habits.
I have not driven enough miles for it to relearn and wonder if I should find the area in my owners manual to erase its memory so it can start over.
I doubt it will have much effect but the shift points may change a bit, that is shifting at a higher rpm so I can get a bit better acceleration up to speed.

I have not tried shifting manually since changing and I turn the economy mode off most of the time.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2021, 04:53 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Here's the instructions for manually programing the transmission "Adaptive Shift". Note that over the course of days, the transmission will automatically learn the shift pattern - but you can use this method to force a relearn.

From the Allison manual:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Allison Trans Adaptive Shift programming.pdf (508.2 KB, 69 views)
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:46 AM   #3
YC1

I knew if I showed my lazy side someone would look it up for me.

Thanks so much for posting it.

May have to put some slicks on after the HP Uprate.

This thing would not get out of its own way with the 400 hp. I remember the salesman remarking how it climbed the steep hill back to their sales lot. It was doing just ok. The smile left his face for a time when I told him the Workhorse V8 would easily outrun it. I didn't tell him at 4 mpg and half the weight of course. But he knew once I test drove a DP the check book would come out.

That is far more complicated than I remember. No way I can perform all of that on Florida Highways. Too busy and too flat.

So I will just continue like the tree just went green, stomp it and then use both feet on the brakes.

Old 11-24-2021, 09:39 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Don't be surprised if your maximum shift points don't actually decrease in rpm slightly, since "turning them up" usually lowers the max torque and hp rpm range. The upside is usually a slight increase in mpg IF you can keep your foot off the floor. Almost every "before and after" diesel dyno test will show the increased hp and torque sweet spot in a slightly lower rpm range.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I knew if I showed my lazy side someone would look it up for me.

Thanks so much for posting it.

May have to put some slicks on after the HP Uprate.

This thing would not get out of its own way with the 400 hp. I remember the salesman remarking how it climbed the steep hill back to their sales lot. It was doing just ok. The smile left his face for a time when I told him the Workhorse V8 would easily outrun it. I didn't tell him at 4 mpg and half the weight of course. But he knew once I test drove a DP the check book would come out.

That is far more complicated than I remember. No way I can perform all of that on Florida Highways. Too busy and too flat.

So I will just continue like the tree just went green, stomp it and then use both feet on the brakes.
Ha, you'll be right at home doing the reset on I 75.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 06:29 AM   #6
YC1

That's no joke.

It is Daytona for sure. Yellow flag, nope. Red flag. Fresh stop and now the pace car is out front again, ooops. No wait, the pace car just rear ended the slow poke in the left lane.

Caution flags out again. Oh heck, now a pit stop is needed. Penalty for overshooting the parking spot. Ten minute penalty.

Maybe this post needs to be moved to Humor section. Nah, this is not funny. The brakes get a work out and so does my laundry.

Tags
transmission