Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #1

SCA Dca-4

Im new to this bit of maintanance so please forgive the simple questions.
I tested my cummins ISL in a fleetwood discovery 2015. It's low in additives.

Ok great that should be easy to take care of....
I figured out I need SCA/Dca-4 additive.
Fleetgaurd makes some that fits the bill.

So I take a trip to napa. They have store brand NAPA SCA. no info on the bottle regarding specs certs or ingredients. Staff members no help.

So I look online and it costs an arm and leg to ship fleetgaurd.

Any ideas on other stores that might have it or other brands locally available (eg at chain stores orielly, auto zone etc)?

Thank You
CoRTeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2019, 02:41 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Cummins shops carry the liquud DCA or filters that have it in slow release form if you have a coolant filter. Most ISL's don't have a coolant filter. My ISC did so I bought filters with the DCA in them.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoRTeX View Post

So I take a trip to napa. They have store brand NAPA SCA. no info on the bottle regarding specs certs or ingredients. Staff members no help.

Any ideas on other stores that might have it or other brands locally available (eg at chain stores orielly, auto zone etc)?

Thank You
Larger truck stops will have it either in the shop or store and sometimes both. Any large truck dealer or service center will also. Don't overcharge the additive as the increase in TDS isn't good for the radiator or water pump

Down the road you might want to take a look at OAT
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:55 AM   #4

Quote:

Thank You
https://puredieselpower.com/products...ve-1-pint.html

Last bottle I got for a truck was this one as I get most of my filters here as well since they generally are much cheaper
Old 02-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
https://puredieselpower.com/products...ve-1-pint.html

Last bottle I got for a truck was this one as I get most of my filters here as well since they generally are much cheaper
I'll check out trick stop on my upcoming trip. I checked our pure diesel power website but shipping is rough.

The freightliner tech on the help line told me OAT will destroy the sensors resulting in check engine lights etc. Not so sure that's true based on what I've read.

I appreciate the help!
Old 02-10-2019, 02:52 PM   #6

What coolant do you now have?
There should be a sticker labeling what coolant it came with next to the radiator / filler neck.
Caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber View Post
What coolant do you now have?
There should be a sticker labeling what coolant it came with next to the radiator / filler neck.
There is not a label I can locate. Freightliner said heavy duty diesel engine coolant. Not any of the long lasting or extended use type.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:55 AM   #8

Buying DCA4

Hi All,

I have been purchasing DCA4 Fleetguard brand @ Ryder Truck Parts for reasonable price and shipping. I had trouble finding the name brand stuff locally. This is not an advertisement, just a place I found that sells the fleetguard sca4 in pints.
By the way a pint is five units. That means that in my 13 gal cooling system it will raise the test number 5 divided by 13 = .38 at least that is what I have been told. Try not to overdose the coolant. Freightliner has told me that they use "fleet charge" coolant from the factory.
RVL14all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:48 PM   #9

Quote:
I'll check out trick stop on my upcoming trip. I checked our pure diesel power website but shipping is rough.

The freightliner tech on the help line told me OAT will destroy the sensors resulting in check engine lights etc. Not so sure that's true based on what I've read.

I appreciate the help!
Don't know what to think about the sensor deal either as some of the OEM are the same for the OAT and SCA so who know for sure? I have ran OAT in several other vehicles with no issues but not very long in the Cummins

Yep, shipping is bad but I put together fuel, generator, and other filters to bundle and get it free
Old 02-14-2019, 07:54 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

CoRTeX

Reading your above comment I sent an email to Cummins with all my motor information ask about OAT coolant. Here is the reply.

ES Compleat OAT by Fleetguard is what we recommend.

When doing a coolant change from an SCA coolant to OAT, we recommend draining the system completely and flushing with distilled water. If your engine is equipped with a coolant filter, you must use a blank filter with no additive with OAT coolants.

OAT is perfectly safe to use in your engine, however you must stay with OAT once it is in your system. You cannot top off with an SCA coolant as this runs the risk of canceling out your additives and voiding your engine protection.

I will be making the change next month at Gaffney Service center.
Old 02-14-2019, 08:03 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:

I appreciate the help!
In 2015 my ISX was rebuilt, at that time they used Fleetguard OAT coolant. I am now getting low coolant messages even though the overflow tank is full. Have a new sensor to install if it ever quits raining!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post

CoRTeX

Reading your above comment I sent an email to Cummins with all my motor information ask about OAT coolant. Here is the reply.

ES Compleat OAT by Fleetguard is what we recommend.

When doing a coolant change from an SCA coolant to OAT, we recommend draining the system completely and flushing with distilled water. If your engine is equipped with a coolant filter, you must use a blank filter with no additive with OAT coolants.

OAT is perfectly safe to use in your engine, however you must stay with OAT once it is in your system. You cannot top off with an SCA coolant as this runs the risk of canceling out your additives and voiding your engine protection.

I will be making the change next month at Gaffney Service center.
This is the same Info I received so that is a plus. What I have read and know it seems the best thing to do is make the change and never introduce any SCA antifreeze or supplements back into the system so that makes watching any service facilities very important. I run OAT in everything with the oldest engine being my Solstice which is 2007. No issues so far and it has been in the ISL9 for 2.5 years. It came with the purple antifreeze and the driver from the factory added red so had to flush and charge right off the bat
Old 02-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwmcguire View Post
This is the same Info I received so that is a plus. What I have read and know it seems the best thing to do is make the change and never introduce any SCA antifreeze or supplements back into the system so that makes watching any service facilities very important. I run OAT in everything with the oldest engine being my Solstice which is 2007. No issues so far and it has been in the ISL9 for 2.5 years. It came with the purple antifreeze and the driver from the factory added red so had to flush and charge right off the bat
I contacted Cummins again this morning and asked the specific question about ES Compleat OAT coolant affect on sensors. This is the reply.

Cummins and Fleetguard does not have any publications or literature that suggests this has been an issue.

ES Compleat OAT provides diesel engine protection against freezing, boil-over, cavitation, liner pitting, erosion, corrosion, elastomer gasket degradation, and scaling. It shouldn’t affect any sensors.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:28 PM   #14

Coolant

So Cummins says ok to use OAT or HOAT, etc.in a Cummins Diesel, but the sensors in question along with the radiator and the rest of the cooling system is Freightliner...….. Freightliner told me not to use any extended life coolant and instead stick with Fleet Charge.
RVL14all is offline   Reply With Quote