Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2021, 06:26 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Scan tool recommendation for 8.3 ISC

I've been reading multiple threads on coaches with engine problems and the ability to read codes.

Any recommendations of a scan tool that can read codes on diesel engines of different make/model. Right now I have a 8.3 ISC Cummins but would something more versatile, never know if I'll upgrade.

What do you use to read codes. Does it provide accurate info as to diagnosing the problem.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2021, 07:27 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I've been reading multiple threads on coaches with engine problems and the ability to read codes.

Any recommendations of a scan tool that can read codes on diesel engines of different make/model. Right now I have a 8.3 ISC Cummins but would something more versatile, never know if I'll upgrade.

What do you use to read codes. Does it provide accurate info as to diagnosing the problem.
I have this scan tool:
Heavy Duty Truck Scan Tool NL102 Plus Auto Scanner with DPF/Sensor Calibration/Oil Reset + Check Engine for Cars; Truck & Car 2 in 1 Code Reader (Upgrade Version)
Brand: NEXAS
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 07:37 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
I have this scan tool:
Heavy Duty Truck Scan Tool NL102 Plus Auto Scanner with DPF/Sensor Calibration/Oil Reset + Check Engine for Cars; Truck & Car 2 in 1 Code Reader (Upgrade Version)
Brand: NEXAS
I had seen that one mentioned before in a thread, I'll add it to my list.

The reason for my looking is that it seems like similar vintage coaches as mine are starting to have problems and really the only way to diagnose is with scan tool. I want to be prepared and it seems like cheap insurance.

Thanks.
Old 03-05-2021, 07:49 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I haven't seen any inexpensive code readers for heavy truck. Not saying they don't exist just that I haven't come across them.

I have an OTC Genesys that I purchased many years ago with the Heavy Truck 6-pin and 9-pin Deutsch connectors and heavy truck software. It works well but many Class 8 truck/chassis and engine manufacturers use proprietary codes and you have to decipher them. They aren't held to the same universal criteria that auto manufacturers are with OBDII generic and proprietary codes.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 08:42 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
So let me start by saying that my idea is not a true code reader but........ I have been using the BlueFire reader with my coach for about 2 years and not only does it create a great set of real-time engine/fuel/trip data in a format that is all but indispensable while driving displayed on your smartphone or tablet it will display codes if there are errors while driving.

I did have a low voltage situation last year when a starter was failing.....of all things that was displayed on the BlueFire with its code reader function as the unit itself gets all its data from the diagnostics port and transmits it to the tablet via Bluetooth.

I think of it as a way to get some basic info to do troubleshooting while on the road until I can get it to a real repair shop for major issues

Cost - $~200
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0432 (2).jpg
Views:	193
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	320176  
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:10 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Whatever you get, make sure you also get a J1939 or J1708 (whichever yours is) adapter.

I’m using the $600 OTC blue tooth reader and their ap on my ipad, which gives me a lot of info and the ability to clear codes, emissions codes included but only when the problem is solved.

Couple examples (and a pic of an adapter):
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6C22EAF8-CA54-4140-9F2D-13038473EB6D.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	320178   Click image for larger version

Name:	58F166E9-5EA8-4ED0-8890-5F89F85F6BD5.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	320179  

Name:	767F54FE-5AEE-4AA6-BA62-0B6C9BD99B2E.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	320180   Click image for larger version

Name:	56342E67-62D4-4EF7-A116-7C595E14FC08.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	320181  

R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:56 AM   #7

Given you have a 2002 vintage coach, you do not need all of the features mentioned by some who posted, unless you intend to move up to a post 2010, DEF coach in the future.

Maybe I'm missing something, but the ScanGauge D is commonly used in DP coaches and is readily available. It will read all codes as it taps directly into the ECM, just as the BlueFire. I do not believe it will translate into lay language what a particular code means in all cases, however. That needs to be looked up by the operator.

BlueFire will give you more features, including virtual dashboard displays on you chosen blue tooth device. ScanGauge D is hardwired, self contained, but is limited to four digital readouts at a time, no virtual displays, but is capable of reading trouble codes, displaying trouble codes, and clearing trouble codes. It comes with adapters for both OBD protocols.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 12:41 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I do have a Silverleaf system and I believe it does show fault codes similar to the Scangauge but I've also read that you may have to get assistance trying to interpret the codes.

There is a current thread that the Scangauge threw a code and so far no one has been able to decipher the meaning. If I'm in the middle of a problem the last thing I need is to have to try and interpret codes, I'd like to find something that gives accurate info and easy to use.

I'll keep doing some research and hopefully can find something that will work for a reasonable price.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
I haven't seen any inexpensive code readers for heavy truck. Not saying they don't exist just that I haven't come across them.

I have an OTC Genesys that I purchased many years ago with the Heavy Truck 6-pin and 9-pin Deutsch connectors and heavy truck software. It works well but many Class 8 truck/chassis and engine manufacturers use proprietary codes and you have to decipher them. They aren't held to the same universal criteria that auto manufacturers are with OBDII generic and proprietary codes.
do you have the 3874 HD model?
Old 03-06-2021, 02:06 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I got the scanguage D a few years back and have only used it - really - a couple of times to read and clear codes... It has both types of connectors and if I ever get a code, I just do a google (or duck-duck-go) search for the code and get all the interpretations I could ever need...
Anything beyond that and my friendly neighborhood mechanic is getting my credit card number
Old 03-06-2021, 09:22 AM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
This one works well for me. Has code reader, displays Cummins codes, will clear codes & supports live data

Will do both HD J1708 & J1939 as well as automotive OBD2

I leave it plugged in and on live data page to monitor engine data while driving.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4GH6UZ...ing=UTF8&psc=1
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:48 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I am looking at older scan tools that have cummins and allison software, I want something that reads as much live data as possible and has control functions. Pro-link is my first choice but since snap on bought them out they have a referb program, so they are hard to find older modles that are just outdated due to software upgrades.
Old 03-08-2021, 07:00 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by campnrace View Post
do you have the 3874 HD model?
I'm not certain on the model # but that looks like the one I have. It it an older OTC model (although it wasn't when I bought it) that does OBDII automotive as well as heavy truck with the 6-pin (J1708) and 9- pin (J1939) Deutsch connectors.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 07:31 AM   #14
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
So let me start by saying that my idea is not a true code reader but........ I have been using the BlueFire reader with my coach for about 2 years and not only does it create a great set of real-time engine/fuel/trip data in a format that is all but indispensable while driving displayed on your smartphone or tablet it will display codes if there are errors while driving.

I did have a low voltage situation last year when a starter was failing.....of all things that was displayed on the BlueFire with its code reader function as the unit itself gets all its data from the diagnostics port and transmits it to the tablet via Bluetooth.

I think of it as a way to get some basic info to do troubleshooting while on the road until I can get it to a real repair shop for major issues

Cost - $~200
This Bluefire looks good to me, I'll probably grab one... My J1939 port is in the last bay at PS, wondering if my tablet would be able to communicate with the adapter about 40ft away while driving... Seeing your display hangs in cockpit.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote