Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2010, 08:13 AM   #1

Setting The Valves

Has anybody checked/set the valves(intake, exhaust, injector, brake) themselves on their engine?

After reading the mx manuals it seems straight forward. I use to set the valves myself on my solid and roller lifter drag race engines.

On our C8.3 this is to be done at 24k miles, and at 120k miles on the M11.
The local Cummins dealer gave me and estimate of $400(3.5 hrs labor, no parts), so again a great $$$ saving DIY procedure.

Thanks in advance!
Don, Lisa, and Alexa
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2010, 03:17 PM   #2

What year is your C8.3?
Old 03-26-2010, 10:13 PM   #3

My C8.3 is a 1998
Old 03-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #4

Have you checked with Cummins about the recommended miles to adjust your valves? My ISB is about 150,000 miles before an adjustment. There is no reason you can't adjust them yourself if you can move the crankshaft and get the specifications. I did not understand your reference to an M11.
Cummins 6.7 ISB, Allison 2100 6 Speed
J Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:12 PM   #5

We currently have 2 MHs.

Our 98 DutchStar has a C8.3 and its mx manual says every 24K miles.

Our 99 Exec has a M11 and its mx manual says every 120K miles.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestarace View Post
We currently have 2 MHs.

Our 98 DutchStar has a C8.3 and its mx manual says every 24K miles.

Our 99 Exec has a M11 and its mx manual says every 120K miles.
24K miles between valve adjustment makes a lot of work or expense especially if you put a lot of miles on it. I am amazed that the C8.3 requires that but you have the Cummins manual. One thing that would make doing work on the top of the engine difficult is the access, or lack of it. If the engine access is by lifting the bed then you have the best access possible. A '98 probably doesn't have a bedroom slide and this would give you the bed access. Once the valve cover is removed there are not many places to support yourself, so it will be a trick.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:02 PM   #7

I set the valves on our 98 300hp Cummins C8.3 today. It was quite easy partly because no adjusting was needed. They were all still set.

Since I don't have the barring gear tool, I had DW bump the starter to rotate the engine.

The mx manual says to set the valves the first time at 24k miles, then thereafter every 48k miles, or 2000 hrs, or 2 yrs, or every 8th oil change, whichever occurs first. I'm using the mileage method. Our odometer reads 73k, so we're 1k late(oh, the shame).

The most difficult part was removing the old paint from the exterior of the valve cover and repainting it. The only things that had to be removed to get the valve cover off was the wastegate sensing tube and breather tube. It wasn't necessary to purchase any parts. My gasket and o-rings were not damaged.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:28 AM   #8

Thanks for letting us know your solution. How did you keep the engine from starting when bumping the starter? Perhaps just keeping the bump small enough?
Old 04-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #9

Yep
Keep it small
The first time DW bumped it, it started
Then I explained more better, small
Old 04-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Walker View Post
How did you keep the engine from starting when bumping the starter?
You can also disconnect the fuel solenoid to keep it from starting.

Since our coach sits for 5-6 months during the winter here in Mi, I don't like starting it up the without turning it over first to prime the engine. My little Cummins engine book says after a week or more of non-use to do this by disconnecting the fuel solenoid and turn it over until you see oil pressure on the gage.

Disconnecting the fuel solenoid is a PIA so I installed a toggle switch in the fuel solenoid power lead circuit for this purpose. It also acts as a theft deterrent.

My valves didn't need any adjustments either at 90K miles and I'm pretty sure they had never been done.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:41 PM   #11

ANY diesel will run as long as it can get fuel and air.please be careful when rotating an engine this way; even if it only runs for a few seconds, the results could be very "life changing".

Just to add a comment, as a former Cummins Certified Tech, now retired; we all like to save money when we can so that we can do the things we like to do.......but when we take the attitude of not doing business with someone, we are also depriving that individual or company the chance to make a living. Suppose that your life now depended on whether someone was going to spend money with you or your company.