Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2018, 07:41 PM   #1

Slight Confusion

After having RV'd with 2 Winny gassers, I've graduated to a Winny diesel with a Cummins. In reviewing the manuals that came with it, I came across something that didn't quite jive.
In the Freightliner R.V. Chassis Op./Maint. Manual, Cummins chapter, Starting After Extended Shutdown or Oil Change section, it states:

Do the following steps after an oil change or after engine has been shut-down for more than three days:

1. Disconnect the electrical connector from the fuel pump solenoid valve (diesel-fuel-powered engines only)

2. Crank the engine until oil pressure shows on the gauge.

3. Connect the electrical connector to the fuel pump solenoid valve (diesel-fuel-powered engines only).

4. Start the engine. After one minute, shut down the engine and check for oil leaks.

5. Allow five minutes for the oil to settle, then check the engine oil level and add oil if needed. Do not overfill.

However, in separate binder I found a plasticized Quick Reference Guide from Cummins titled " RV Maint. & Op., ISB Electronic Diesel", that states:

Extended Shutdown Start Procedure-
When starting an engine that has not been operated for more than 30 days:

1. If oil pressure does NOT register during cranking or within 15 seconds after engine starts, consult the Owner's Manual or Cummins Distributor.

2. Operate engine under light load (light throttle) until engine coolant temperature reaches approximately 150* F.

Can someone please give me a more user-friendly interpretation of the above? Is one more correct than the other? Are these two different procedures?
Can someone tell me where I might find the electrical connection mentioned above?

This is all new stuff to me. Much thanks.
docrey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2018, 08:37 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I routinely use the second procedure you've listed - with one recommended addition. If oil pressure does not register within 15 seconds immediately shut down the engine.

If you ever need - and in this case - you can call the Freightliner Service Line 24/7 at 1-800-FTL-HELP. The techs are glad to talk you though questions and issues. Have your VIN # ready to share.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
I routinely use the second procedure you've listed - with one recommended addition. If oil pressure does not register within 15 seconds immediately shut down the engine.

If you ever need - and in this case - you can call the Freightliner Service Line 24/7 at 1-800-FTL-HELP. The techs are glad to talk you though questions and issues. Have your VIN # ready to share.

Thank you.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I've never heard of that first one. I just turn the key on until the "Wait" light goes out and fire it up. I let it idle until the oil pressure builds up, it normally takes just a few seconds. I never let it idle until the temp reaches 150 degrees. I don't think it'd get much warmer than that idling.
Old 01-24-2018, 05:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I've never heard of that first one. I just turn the key on until the "Wait" light goes out and fire it up. I let it idle until the oil pressure builds up, it normally takes just a few seconds. I never let it idle until the temp reaches 150 degrees. I don't think it'd get much warmer than that idling.
I agree, idle long for a couple minutes then onto High Idle enough to build air pressure and pull out, shut down to connect the toad, fire up and idle out of the CG. Try not to put your foot into it for a few minutes and off you go.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:47 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrey1 View Post
... or after engine has been shut-down for more than three days:

1. Disconnect the electrical connector from the fuel pump solenoid valve (diesel-fuel-powered engines only)

2. Crank the engine until oil pressure shows on the gauge.

3. Connect the electrical connector to the fuel pump solenoid valve (diesel-fuel-powered engines only).

4. Start the engine. After one minute, shut down the engine and check for oil leaks.

5. Allow five minutes for the oil to settle, then check the engine oil level and add oil if needed. Do not overfill.
That's the most insane thing I've seen in a long time.
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
The first set of instructions listed are verbatim in my Cummins engine manual, plus the warning of seeing some oil pressure within 15 seconds of engine start.
Is it necessary to disable the fuel solenoid when starting after a prolonged shut down time? Probably not, but it is the best way to ensure oil pressure will be there when engine starts. Crank the engine without fuel injecting so the oil pump will push any residual air out of the lube circuit prior to starting.

The procedure is for engine use in all applications, not motor home specific. Access to the fuel solenoid in a DP is probably one of the worst with engine hidden under the bed or floor so the second procedure listed makes more sense especially for starting after lengthy shut down. This is procedure I follow except after oil change with no problem seeing oil pressure almost immediately. If there was a lack of timely oil pressure go back and follow the top instructions, cranking with fuel shut off.
Old 01-25-2018, 08:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENSHER View Post
The first set of instructions listed are verbatim in my Cummins engine manual, plus the warning of seeing some oil pressure within 15 seconds of engine start.
Is it necessary to disable the fuel solenoid when starting after a prolonged shut down time? Probably not, but it is the best way to ensure oil pressure will be there when engine starts. Crank the engine without fuel injecting so the oil pump will push any residual air out of the lube circuit prior to starting.

The procedure is for engine use in all applications, not motor home specific. Access to the fuel solenoid in a DP is probably one of the worst with engine hidden under the bed or floor so the second procedure listed makes more sense especially for starting after lengthy shut down. This is procedure I follow except after oil change with no problem seeing oil pressure almost immediately. If there was a lack of timely oil pressure go back and follow the top instructions, cranking with fuel shut off.

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:15 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bet almost nobody does this
Old 01-26-2018, 10:52 AM   #10

If truly required...why wouldn't there be a switch for the fuel pump solenoid in a convenient area - like where the 12volt power shutoff is?

Typically - where is that solenoid / connector anyway?
Near the fuel pump on the passenger side of the block?

Tags
light