Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-03-2021, 03:25 PM   #1

Sporadic codes 2006 Freightliner 5.9

Coach has about 38k on it, codes started happening just doing down the freeway. It's odd because every time I check it, the codes are different, coach seems to run fine, doesn't smoke. The codes are there an active even if the ignition is on but the engine has't been started.

I've check all the grounds I could find, they all seem tight. I have two constant codes, but they change every time I check them. The are both always "out of calabration and Mech System not responding". The codes I've gotten are as follows. I've tried tracking them down, but don't find any info on any of them via google:

2111 mech system not responding
2111 Out of Calibration
next run cycle this was replaced with
24639 out of calibration
24639 mech system not responding
Next key cycle
-22465 out of Calibration
-22465 mech system not responding
Next Key cycle
-18369 out of calibration
-19369 mech system not responding
next key cycle
-32657 out of calibration
-32657 mech system not responding
and etc..........

I've also removed all power to the coach/eng for 20 minutes to rest the computer, no luck, still spawning random codes.

I've unplugged the EGR connections which increases the code count, and those go away after I plug them back in. Same with the VGT turbo connector, I just haven't been able to find what's causing these randomly odd constant codes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Rich
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2021, 10:05 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro71455 View Post
Coach has about 38k on it, codes started happening just doing down the freeway. It's odd because every time I check it, the codes are different, coach seems to run fine, doesn't smoke. The codes are there an active even if the ignition is on but the engine has't been started.

I've check all the grounds I could find, they all seem tight. I have two constant codes, but they change every time I check them. The are both always "out of calabration and Mech System not responding". The codes I've gotten are as follows. I've tried tracking them down, but don't find any info on any of them via google:

2111 mech system not responding
2111 Out of Calibration
next run cycle this was replaced with
24639 out of calibration
24639 mech system not responding
Next key cycle
-22465 out of Calibration
-22465 mech system not responding
Next Key cycle
-18369 out of calibration
-19369 mech system not responding
next key cycle
-32657 out of calibration
-32657 mech system not responding
and etc..........

I've also removed all power to the coach/eng for 20 minutes to rest the computer, no luck, still spawning random codes.

I've unplugged the EGR connections which increases the code count, and those go away after I plug them back in. Same with the VGT turbo connector, I just haven't been able to find what's causing these randomly odd constant codes.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Rich
Dang... 55 Views and nothing. I knew this would be an odd issue, but I wasn't hoping not this odd...... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Rich
Old 10-04-2021, 01:31 PM   #3

Those donít look like actual Cummins fault codes. ?
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 02:00 PM   #4

Yeah, but those are the SPN's the built in dash monitor is showing under the "Service" section.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #5

Sporadic codes 2006 Freightliner 5.9

I tried crossing them. They donít even make sense as SPN numbers. What is your ESN?
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomledder View Post
I tried crossing them. They donít even make sense as SPN numbers. What is your ESN?
It's the unit that came with the coach as part of the dash, I forget the name of it.

Something interesting to note that I discovered tonight, If I pull a connector of, so the EGR Temp sensor, it will then show 3 codes, but all three codes are the same, sometimes it's the right code, but sometimes it's the -xxxxx code (all 3 of them).

So weird.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro71455 View Post
It's the unit that came with the coach as part of the dash, I forget the name of it.

Something interesting to note that I discovered tonight, If I pull a connector of, so the EGR Temp sensor, it will then show 3 codes, but all three codes are the same, sometimes it's the right code, but sometimes it's the -xxxxx code (all 3 of them).

So weird.
The above happens with any connector that's pulled, I was just using the EGR temp sensor an example.

Another thought I just had is what are the checks that are performed with the Key on without the engine started? I get an active SPN with the key on, it comes up within two seconds of turning the key on.

--Rich
Nitro71455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 11:42 AM   #8

Update,

I went for a trip and caught valid codes while going down the road. It seems the VP is going out on the turbo, I was getting SPN 641's that were changing to the weird codes as they were clearing out for some reason.

Symptoms, low on power until about 25mph
Jake Brake does't work like it should.

With that said, what's the recommended turbo for a 06, 5.9 with VP? Something that offers a bit more power would be great, but if it needs to stock so be it as well.

Thanks everyone.

--Rich

Tags
freightliner