Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2015, 02:35 PM   #1

Stop Engine light question.

On our recent trip we experienced an momentary "Stop Engine" light after downhill runs at the point where you begin to add throttle. The light would come on and after letting off on the throttle it would go off. There was a distinct loss of power or response that would come back after getting off the throttle and the light going out. Sometimes the light would come on a second time and immediately go off when the throttle was released. Sometimes the "Warning" light would come on also. This happens after using the exhaust brake but also happened when I did not need the exhaust brake while coasting. There was no loss of power climbing hills thereby ruling out the common fuel filter problem I have read about and experienced personally in the past. I am running VMSpc and have no warnings or codes. This is a 8.3 ISC in a 99 Monaco. I am concerned that something is going to fail. This happened dozens of times on this trip home through the W Va mountains.
Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I searched the forum for any similar post and could not find anything helpful.
Thanks for your help and all the many posts on this forum that have been so helpful the past 2 years.
OilyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2015, 02:57 PM   #2

The filters were replaced last Fall. Only 500 miles on them when the problem started. I have been using PSC additive and algaecide in every fill up.

I did not have any loss of power while climbing the hills. I was able to pass the trucks going up hill with my toad attached.

The lights only come on after coasting or using exhaust brake downhill.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #3

Do you see low oil pressure, when ideling or coasting?
Have you checked your coolant level?

Just thoughts
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

I had this happen on my maiden voyage with my new 400 ISL. Stop Engine light ended up being towed 40 miles to a Cummins shop. Turns out it was just coolant which was a bit low. My light came on as soon as I started UP a hill.

It's probably a long shot but make sure your coolant level is topped off. It could just be that, while going down hill, your coolant flows forward and causes the light to trip.

The Cummins tech agreed that it's overkill to have the Stop Engine light tripped for something as simple as low coolant but....

Best of Luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Ed, if you don't see any codes, you might just have to take it to a Cummins shop and have the ECM scanned with their Insite program and see if they can see/find anything....... Maybe the Throttle position sensor is starting to fail?
Old 02-08-2015, 03:31 PM   #6

Twinboat - my oil pressure is good at 45 while idling and 65 running.

RickO - I checked my coolant levels while on the trip and it was where it was supposed to be.

palehorse89 - would the throttle position sensor failing cause other issues?
I plan on visiting Cummins as soon as the weather allows. I was hoping to learn as much as possible first.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:44 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilyEd View Post

RickO - I checked my coolant levels while on the trip and it was where it was supposed to be.

I plan on visiting Cummins as soon as the weather allows. I was hoping to learn as much as possible first.
What made me think of this sensor is that your problems arise when the throttle is in a "closed" position. Are your "Idle" rpm's about 700 or so? and does it idle ok?
Read this thread http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/2004...re-234187.html
In the Cummins engine manual, the is a troubleshooting process to check the sensor with a meter to tell if it is bad. I am going to say to let Cummins hook up to it and see what they find. They have the program that knows all about the ECM.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:59 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

oil pressure and oil level are ONLY related when you REALLY get a low oil level.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #9

Thanks palehorse89.
The link was helpful. That is my worst fear. If you have a failure that won't let you get running and get stranded somewhere.
I will let you know what I find.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:21 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks palehorse89.
The link was helpful. That is my worst fear. If you have a failure that won't let you get running and get stranded somewhere.
I will let you know what I find.
I hope it is not something to big! I will be watching
Old 02-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #11

On my coolant reservoir there are 2 marks for level. When I had the stop engine light my coolant was at the bottom mark. I filled it up to the top mark and have had no further problems.
Old 02-08-2015, 07:30 PM   #12
KIX

"my oil pressure is good at 45 while idling and 65 running." IUs that when the engine is fully warmed up? Seems pretty high at idle to me. Probably not related to the stop engine light
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:23 AM   #13

Koda59 - I will check my coolant levels. I could be looking at the wrong level line.

Kix - I have my idle set high with the switch and always forget to turn it down. Maybe that is why the pressure is high at idle. I will take a closer look.

Thanks for all of the help. This place is amazing!
Old 02-09-2015, 07:25 AM   #14

I had a similar problem with my ISL. it was not low coolant, but the low coolant level sensor. The best solution is to have Cummins connect their computer. Don't guess too much longer.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote