Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2018, 06:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post

I assume the alternator pulley should turn freely by hand?
YES ,

EDIT: and thanks to my slow typing ... Steve already posted this info.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 06:54 PM   #16

Thanks for the confirmation guys. I made a mistake bringing the coach home from our seasonal site which is only a one hour drive. If I could get it back to the seasonal site I would park it and never drive it again. But unfortunately the belt runs the water pump so I will have to tow it to a garage for repair AGAIN.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #17

Mobile mechanic might be cheaper than a tow .
Old 04-21-2018, 07:03 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Mobile mechanic might be cheaper than a tow .
I have good sam for the tow but I definitely like and prefer your idea of a mobile mechanic.
If I can find one.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monacoach View Post
I have good sam for the tow but I definitely like and prefer your idea of a mobile mechanic.
If I can find one.
Good Sam may have one on file in your area , and they would send him to you, and pay for his travel to your location , you'd have to pay his on site time and return.
Just went through this .

EDIT: It would speed things up if you could contact the mobile mechanic through Good Sam and provide him with alternator info , so he could bring one with him.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:18 PM   #20

Quite possibly the time you ran with the undersized belt did in the alternator bearings. I like the recommendation to replace the tensioner pulley as part of this repair. Then keep fingers crossed that the a/c compressor is okay.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:24 PM   #21

I will call good sam to inquire about the mobile mechanic for sure. Yes I thought maybe running with a tight belt might cause problems. The alternator was replaced once and for the life of me I don't know how they did it. Its so hard to access.
Old 04-21-2018, 07:28 PM   #22

I was thinking that to get the coach the one hour trip to our seasonal site that I might put a shorter serpentine belt on bi passing the alternator. problem would be trying to get the right size. This idea would save me from a tow or very costly service call but not sure I can pull it off.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:59 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Our alt. on our RV was perfectly fine just a couple of weeks ago. I told my wife I was swapping it out with a new one and she could not understand why I would change it out if there was nothing wrong with it. I intend to carry the old one as a spare and this is exactly why so I will not be at the mercy of an out of town shop or a tow bill. Doing the same with the starter and few other small items. Best of luck to the OP.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:44 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLar368 View Post
Our alt. on our RV was perfectly fine just a couple of weeks ago. I told my wife I was swapping it out with a new one and she could not understand why I would change it out if there was nothing wrong with it. I intend to carry the old one as a spare and this is exactly why so I will not be at the mercy of an out of town shop or a tow bill. Doing the same with the starter and few other sm items. Best of luck to the OP.

That is good insurance and I was going to grab a spare serpentine belt but they are not stocked anywhere near by and I didnt get around to ordering one

and heres my update which re enforces your idea of carrying spare parts to be a good one.
With some wd40 and a rachet I unseized the alternator. It spins freely now so im thinking I can put a new serpentine belt on and hopefully make it to our permanent spot ( 1 hour drive).
im not concerned if the alternator actually works but that would be a bonus, just spinning freely and not eating belts would be great.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:17 AM   #25

does anyone know which direction the crankshaft spins say standing at the back of the motorhome facing the engine........clockwise? counterclockwise? Standing behind a pusher.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:41 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ribbed belt smooth tensioner should not make it fail.

Too tight means the belt is under too much stress and that will kill it.'"
Smooth belt on a ribbed pulley.. Not sure.
Old 04-24-2018, 01:06 PM   #27

If you put a new tensioner on make sure the plate that you mount it to has no rust on it. I didn't clean mine and there was just enough tilt in the alignment that it caused the belt to be pulled toward the engine, where it was sliced off. I had all kinds of black "spaghetti" coming out of the engine hood on my coach, and of course it was Memorial Day weekend.
Long story short - I ground down the plate, painted it and remounted the new tensioner and haven't had a problem since.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:20 PM   #28

Thanks for that advice. One thing is for sure although I did install the new surpentine belt today, changing the tensioner and alternator are beyond my reach. I have a spare belt so wont need a tow truck the next time it rips off.

ok so like I said the alternator pulley seized up while sitting for months but with some wd 40 and elbow grease I got it spinning. I installed the belt today and started the coach but of course the alt light on dash is illuminated along with a chime and the charge guage reads below 12 volts.

I presume the alternator is toast so in the morning I will start our short journey of 70 miles with the generator running and doing the job of the alternator.