Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-08-2021, 12:28 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
T-bolt clamp removal

I still need to go back to my last post and respond to the questions about my CAC failure due to damage from loose cover.
In the meantime, I'm about complete removing the CAC to get it repaired or replaced.
Right now I'm stuck at getting the hoses free so I can pull the cooler out. Holding the tubes to the inlet and outlet are spring tensioned t-bolt clamps. I've got the springs untensioned but can't seem to get the clamps loose.
What's the secret/tip/trick?
PeteandDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2021, 12:29 PM   #2

Take the nut completely off. That should give you enough "expansion room" to slide the clamp out of the way.
Old 11-08-2021, 03:21 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
that did the trick. Now to try and pry the hoses off. Is it possible to have any less room back there?
Old 11-09-2021, 11:34 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
well! After struggling for half a day to pry the flex hoses off the CAC header ... I've made not a millimeters progress. So ... since there's zero room to work from the ground up, I finally gave in and unbolted the access plate inside.
There's a metric ton of t-bolts holding the flex and steel hoses together, but it appears to me as though the only way I'm going to get anywhere is to use the only two short connections - inlet and outlet at the turbo, and then remove the flex hose from the CAC once I remove it and the connected piping?
is there a better way?
Old 11-09-2021, 11:57 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteandDeb View Post
well! After struggling for half a day to pry the flex hoses off the CAC header ... I've made not a millimeters progress. So ... since there's zero room to work from the ground up, I finally gave in and unbolted the access plate inside.
There's a metric ton of t-bolts holding the flex and steel hoses together, but it appears to me as though the only way I'm going to get anywhere is to use the only two short connections - inlet and outlet at the turbo, and then remove the flex hose from the CAC once I remove it and the connected piping?
is there a better way?
I think you answered your own question
Old 11-11-2021, 01:03 AM   #6

You could cut the hoses off, I assume you'll be replacing them anyway when you replace the CAC. New hoses should be a lot more flexible to install.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Actually, I found it easiest to work from inside the coach ... pryed both intake and return hoses off the engine.
BUT ... then I got confounded because the fan shroud didn't give me enough room to pull the CAC out. Tried every position variation to find enough give to wiggle it out but no joy.
So ... I figured I would just unbolt the shroud, since the top of it was already unbolted. That way I can move it Round the fan shaft to get all the space I needed.
Of course, plans never survive the first contact with the enemy. So far 1 broken bolt, 3 rounded, frozen, very small bolts. They're hidden away well so extremely hard to get to and a weird size. The broken bolt has a 3/8 head. The bolt on the opposite corner rounded immediately with the 3/8 socket ... 11/32 seemed a better fit. The 2 middle bolts appear to be more like 5/16.
So far bolt extractors failed, vice grips failed, penetrating oil hasn't helped. Can't use heat with the plastic shroud.
I figured my next step, assuming I'd be able to line it up enough to get some action going, was an impact screwdriver ... so I used the dremel to cut a groove in the head of the corner bolt. And then discovered that my impact screwdriver kit was missing the bit holder. Sighl
Heading into town to get another kit.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:14 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
no room for the impact driver.
I guess my final solution is to get the Dremel in action and cut the bolt heads off, and drill new holes for self tapping screws when I replace the CAC.
The heads are just too shallow for vice grips to bite, and too soft for bolt extractors to get a grip.
Old 11-13-2021, 02:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteandDeb View Post
no room for the impact driver.
I guess my final solution is to get the Dremel in action and cut the bolt heads off, and drill new holes for self tapping screws when I replace the CAC.
The heads are just too shallow for vice grips to bite, and too soft for bolt extractors to get a grip.
Have you been soaking these bolts with PB Blaster every day? Some here swear by using transmisison fluid and acetone mixture too.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 02:34 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If there’s anyway you can pry the lip of the hose up enough to spray WD-40 under it then wiggle the hose in an effort to spread the wd-40 around the inside of the hose. it seems to work for me

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 07:46 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Have you been soaking these bolts with PB Blaster every day? Some here swear by using transmisison fluid and acetone mixture too.
PB Blaster did nothing ... usually more success with Liquid Wrench which I've used over the past 4 days to the tune of 1/2 can. No joy.

Took 3 hours yesterday to dremel/grind off 2 of the bolt heads. Need to get some more grinding discs this morning to get that last one off.

Can't say that working under the back of the coach on a gravel driveway is my favorite activity. Getting to old for this fun
Old 11-14-2021, 08:10 AM   #12

PeteandDeb, I really feel for you. I have suffered similar circumstances back when I farmed, only I was working on cold wet dirt, and when I owned semi's. Then it was cold wet slush.

Perhaps, this is why most truck repair shops want nothing to do with rv's.
Orrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:11 AM   #13

https://www.amazon.com/Astro-9502-Ho...s%2C848&sr=8-1

Get set of these to get the hose loose from the tubes.
Are you sure the bolts aren't metric. It sounds like when you say the standard sockets don't fit.
Also I have that using a large piece of cardboard on the gravel helps.
Old 11-14-2021, 05:13 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
yep ... using cardboard on the ground since there's not enough room for me and a creeper. Still feel the rocks thru the cardboard and clothing.

The problem with the hooks you posted are that they require me to be on the other side of the CAC ... and I ain't. Managed to remove one hose with a tjin prybar but zero room on the other side ... which is why I'm trying to free the fan shroud - to get enough room to wiggle/pry the road rside of the CAC out ... the curb side is free.

Progress: 3 bolt heads cut and/or ground off ... shroud is free. The problem with not being able to use sockets or extractors was the head design. Very flat design and slightly beveled ... so no surface to get a bite. I'm guessing the engineers figured once the shroud was in place, no sane person would ever want to remove it. One bolt seemed to fit a 9mm socket, another seemed to fit a 5/16 better and the 2 outside bolts seemed to like 3/8 sockets ... but none fit well enough to turn without rounding (and, yes, only quality 6 point sockets used)

burned out with too many muscle aches to finish (or trying) removing the cooler today; fingers crossed that tomorrow is the day.

Tags
removal