Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 03:31 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Temp gauge up and down with alarm and check

I had too replace a broken belt after the alternator seized. at the time of the break- engine got hot and went into alrm until I was able to drive four block home.
Now that all is replaced I still have a problem. the water level alarm, engine check light, audible alarm pulsing and the temp meter in going to fluctuating low to max. The water is up to the neck of the upper tank. scratching my head on this problem. 99 freightliner isb 5.9
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 03:44 PM   #2

Do you know your chassis build date ?
I have to ask because , there was a wiring harness and gauge package running change in the Freightliner 98/99 chassis production .
Some late 98 chassis , sold as 99 coaches by the manufacturers will have a dash gauge package that's like the first picture , those 99 chassis built after Jan 4,1999 will have a gauge package like the second . All the testing info I have for gauges is for the second photo.
Note : If during the overheating , the coolant actually boiled , both the sensors ( temp & level )could be cooked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Arron's dash 2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	305920   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0755.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	305921  

Old 10-25-2020, 04:01 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Do you know your chassis build date ?
I have to ask because , there was a wiring harness and gauge package running change in the Freightliner 98/99 chassis production .
Some late 98 chassis , sold as 99 coaches by the manufacturers will have a dash gauge package that's like the first picture , those 99 chassis built after Jan 4,1999 will have a gauge package like the second . All the testing info I have for gauges is for the second photo.
Note : If during the overheating , the coolant actually boiled , both the sensors ( temp & level )could be cooked.
Hi Skip, It is the one with the gauges to the right. the Not sure if it boiled since I only drove it for about 4 or 5 minutes down the street and returned immediately. Any thing is possible.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:30 PM   #4

[QUOTE=ladagobago;5494931]Hi Skip, It is the one with the gauges to the right. /QUOTE]

OK , I'm not getting your " to the right "

Is your gauge package all in the one panel , like the top photo ; or individual round gauges like the bottom photo?

Or can you find a decal near the drivers seat, low on the wall that gives the production month.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0808.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	305971  
Old 10-25-2020, 11:02 PM   #5

I suspect the overheating caused an air pocket in the cooling system, thus the gauge swings. The coolant tank must be full and coolant in the overflow plastic tank.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 06:31 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
[QUOTE=Skip426;5495562]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
Hi Skip, It is the one with the gauges to the right. /QUOTE]

OK , I'm not getting your " to the right "

Is your gauge package all in the one panel , like the top photo ; or individual round gauges like the bottom photo?

Or can you find a decal near the drivers seat, low on the wall that gives the production month.
Sorry, the pictures were left to right in my browser.
Mine are the round individual gauges.
Attached Images

Old 10-26-2020, 04:52 PM   #7

Ok then this will be the testing info you need .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Freightliner gauges operation , testing.pdf (127.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 10-26-2020, 08:58 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Ok then this will be the testing info you need .
Thanks Skip, So what I am getting is at ignition on the standard lights PLUS the water level, check trans. as stated the water is at the top of the tank and when I take the cap off coolant drips out. I don't get why the trans light is on.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:43 PM   #9

Top of tank of the rad ? or top of the surge tank ?

My side rad chassis has the low coolant sensor in the surge tank : but rear rad maybe different .
Any codes in the trans controller?
Old 10-27-2020, 04:36 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Top of tank of the rad ? or top of the surge tank ?

My side rad chassis has the low coolant sensor in the surge tank : but rear rad maybe different .
Any codes in the trans controller?
this is a rear rad and the rad tank on top is full . the surge tank does not have a sensor
Old 11-03-2020, 04:04 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Update on gauges

After a while I figured it out. The gauges are supposed to operate as follows: When turning on the key, the normal action of the gauges should be to go up and then return to their normal position just to show the are connected and operating. In my case the temp gauge went to max and the red image on the display shows as well as the ck eng. This would mean that the temp gauge was not getting a signal.
So I went back to find the temp gauge and put my finger on it. The connector was not there. It was laying on the engine. My guess is that when the LN alternator froze and broke the belt, portion of the belt pull of the connector to the temp sensor. I thought the red indicator thing was a low water indicator but reading up on it it is the visual for engine heat.
thank for the reading material Skip. I help me to understand things. Engine in running nice and normal. Good thing. looks like we might see a hurricane soon and will have to reason to leave.
Old 11-07-2020, 12:43 PM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
After a while I figured it out. The gauges are supposed to operate as follows: When turning on the key, the normal action of the gauges should be to go up and then return to their normal position just to show the are connected and operating. In my case the temp gauge went to max and the red image on the display shows as well as the ck eng. This would mean that the temp gauge was not getting a signal.
So I went back to find the temp gauge and put my finger on it. The connector was not there. It was laying on the engine. My guess is that when the LN alternator froze and broke the belt, portion of the belt pull of the connector to the temp sensor. I thought the red indicator thing was a low water indicator but reading up on it it is the visual for engine heat.
thank for the reading material Skip. I help me to understand things. Engine in running nice and normal. Good thing. looks like we might see a hurricane soon and will have to reason to leave.
Nice find.....good reminder to check for other damage when a belt breaks.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote