Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2015, 02:27 PM   #1

The Ugly Fix for Cummins ISM (coming soon)

For you guys with ISMs built with an EGR valve. The EGR has been the most problematic system on the ISM since it was added to the engine to meet the '04 EPA requirements.

According to the guys at HANAK Enterprises Inc. the manufacturers of the Ugly Fix for both the Detroit Series 60 and the Cummins ISX, they are currently testing for the ISM. That might be the single best answer for the ISM with EGR.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2015, 05:41 PM   #2

Thanks for sharing this. This would remove one of the very few negatives on this generation of ISM.

I was just telling the owner of the RV Repair place I go to, that I was a bit disappointed with his staff. You see, I've offered two or thee different employees an 'under the table' tip of $20 - to slide any old spare ISM laying around. Nope, not one of them was nice enough to replace my CAPS ISL!!!! (Amazing, as you'd think with the tax free value of that $20 equating to $14,874 taxable income - they'd jump on it!!! (That's $87 dollars in most of the 49 states, but in California - well, we have bullet trains to build and bike paths to paint... So just a bit more of a tax hit.)

On well, suppose the Allison 3060 would not live very long with an ISM strapped to it!!!

Again, all kidding aside, thanks for sharing the news about the EGR fix.
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:50 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
For you guys with ISMs built with an EGR valve. The EGR has been the most problematic system on the ISM since it was added to the engine to meet the '04 EPA requirements.

According to the guys at HANAK Enterprises Inc. the manufacturers of the Ugly Fix for both the Detroit Series 60 and the Cummins ISX, they are currently testing for the ISM. That might be the single best answer for the ISM with EGR.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
You have my attention. Out of warranty and willing to experiment.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 04:49 PM   #4

We have a 04 Essex with a 500 ISM and EGR which was needing replacement around every 30K miles. At 60K and the 2nd EGR this one we paid for found out that the problem is exhaust plugging up EGR valve and added water/methanol injection from Snow that does a great job of clean intake system and even adds some performance. Have not had ERG valve problems now for the last 4 years and 60K miles.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:26 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
We have a 04 Essex with a 500 ISM and EGR which was needing replacement around every 30K miles. At 60K and the 2nd EGR this one we paid for found out that the problem is exhaust plugging up EGR valve and added water/methanol injection from Snow that does a great job of clean intake system and even adds some performance. Have not had ERG valve problems now for the last 4 years and 60K miles.
What were your indications when the EGR was plugged?
Old 05-17-2015, 06:27 PM   #6

Check engine light came on and a loss of performance and turbo boost.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:39 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Check engine light came on and a loss of performance and turbo boost.
Thanks. It wasn't just poor fuel mileage. How much of a hit is it to replace the EGR?
Old 06-19-2022, 03:32 PM   #8

Any Ugly Fix users with an update on performance results? I’m on my second Egr valve in 20k miles. Not happy.
dlmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 11:48 AM   #9

Sorry to hear about the EGR...

A few tips from reading RAWZE's site, to reduce the impact of living with EGR's (Most of the conversation was on the ISX, but suspect the ISM500 this would apply to too!):

-Avoid extended idling as much as possible

-Don't lug the engines

-Some advocate when getting close to stopping from a day of travels, to down shift to get the RPM's up. The comments were that the higher fuel rates at the higher RPM levels, burn a bit hotter, and the hotter exhaust dumping into th EGR's 'could/might' help burn off soot build up

- Running an additive with Cetane, can result in a more efficient burn of the fuel, reducing EGR soot build up

- RAWZE is very big on doing what he calls EGR Tune Up's. (Easier to don on a Semi, with good engine access, then it is in an RV!)... Clean or replace the MAP sensor is one of the best preventative recommendations he makes. (If the MAP sensor is dirty/sooted, it can communicate info the engine ECM that dumps in more fuel then his actually called for, which then results in a possibility of more soot build up (And lower MPG) in the ERG (Due a search on 'EGR Tune Up' on google and see what pop's up.)

- In the same though as adding Cetane to the fuel tank (Which with our much lower miles driven the a commercial trucker, is not too cost prohibitive for us, and some feel with a tad higher MPG from the Cetane.), some are also now using the Pittsburg Power's additive Max Mileage. (I'm considering running a year with this, to see if I detect any slow changes to engine behavior. I do run with Optilube Summer Blend in each tank, which has both Cetane and Cleaners and Lubrcisty. But have no problem trying other products out too!).

All that being said. I believe you now have to go to Canada or Mexico to find the Ugly Fix(?) module.

IF you consider going this route, it's been recommend on some sites that I've read, you only do it with a healthy EGR, one with the door that is closing properly. So if you've done a recent EGR swap out - well, might be a good time to try it... (And of course, wear your bib boy pants and assume the risk of responsibility of bucking federal and some state regulations!).

And an opinion. Many Cummins facilities will just swap out an EGR, vs cleaning out the Tube, the sensors, and door maintenance... As with many things now aways, if the computer tells them something is bad - they're in a Remove and Replace syndrome vs Remove and repair the faulty part(s)...

We now have an ISX600 EGR only CM870 build engine. Just turned 52K on her recently. When we reach 75K, I plan to have Coburg Cummins remove the EGR and clean the tube, and probably just go ahead and replace the sensors and door flapper. By seeing how dirty the engine is, with 40K of unknown fuel and driving style, and 35K of my fuel and additive and driving style - I'll get a feel for how 'sooted up' the EGR is. IF it's not too bad, I'll just keep on living with the EGR as is, after maintenance. IF it is heavily sooted up, well, I might do a trip to Canada to see the scenery... Perhaps shopping for a few parts as I travel.

ALL OF THE ABOVE, is from my memory form deep diving over 12-14 months ago, so fact check. And also understand, some of the input is from OTR Drivers and a few RV owners too - that are like me, non professional mechanics... So sometimes a grain of salt comes with theirs, and mine, comments!

Good luck, and please share what you find out!!!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 08:37 PM   #10

I tried the ugly fix on my ISM 500 that was built in March of 2008. As soon as I start the engine I get a check engine light and an error code. It's been a while since I tried it so I don't recall the exact error code(s) thrown. The ugly fix folks swear that it should work. There are various versions of the ISM and it might work on some but not mine. I was traveling and my return window closed before I could send it back. If anyone is interested in it you can PM me.

Smitty, I'm waiting for my Power Max fuel catalyst to arrive and am going to also begin using Optilube Summer Blend in combination and hope to clean up my EGR system. I'll also mention that a Cummins published recommendation is to run around 1850 rpm, on each trip, for about 1/2 hour to keep the engine clean(er). It's easy to get lulled into running at 1250 in the flat lands.

Some fuel additives, that work, would be a whole lot better than replacing expensive EGR components or even having to clean them. The EGR valve isn't too bad to access and clean but the EGR cooler looks like a real job.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins