Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2020, 09:13 PM   #15

I would wait until reaching home. If you are concerned just don't run the dash air.
When replacing the serpentine drive belt always replace the belt tensioner at the same time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2020, 09:18 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
that belt will get you to FL no problem. Yes it’s more or less ready for a change, but I don’t see imminent failure on the horizon for the next 1000 miles (Houston to Melbourne) and it’s an aux belt not the main and it’s Oct, so don’t sweat it. Drive home and get it fixed at your convenience.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:29 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have a side radiator it will take longer to find the tools than to change the belts. I figure 10 min tops on my Country Coach.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 07:26 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
ooops----I keep forgetting about rear radiator rigs--even a belt replacement is difficult on the side of the road.....may God bless you all with rear-radiators....
Tell me about it. I have lost more belt than I care to remember on my Rear Rad. I blame it all the the LN alternator that was replace at a FL dealer in Tampa many years ago. I have just started the replacement with a Delco and now trying to get the belt on. It is a bear to get the tension pulley up with the breaker bar. I get it up high enough and tie it off only not to be able to get the belt around the water pump.

I think I have no modify the lower position strap of the alternator if I am too use the same size belt.
Old 10-19-2020, 07:30 PM   #19

Cut it off if it's just ac. Don't drive taking the chance to throw it.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:34 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist View Post
Cut it off if it's just ac. Don't drive taking the chance to throw it.
Best reply yet! Keep old belt to buy a new one the same size and length.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:45 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Many years ago I had the serpentine belt on my Dutch Star break on the highway. Fortunately I was right at a rest area and coasted in. I did not have a spare belt with me. Mobile service came out. After surveying the situation he determined that he did not have my belt with him. Fast forward, 3 1/2 hours later I was rolling again, my cost was right around $300. Now I carry spares, and change belts and hose at the first sign of cracking.

Change your belts!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:24 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Road-Chi....what is your status now?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:39 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Chi View Post
Our coach has a Cummins Turbocharged 450 ISL. The auxiliary belt has some cracks in it (see pics) and we would appreciate advice as to if it is at a point that it needs to be replaced.

The attached pictures show the cracks that seem to be about 20 to 30% of the depth of the belt. Is that typical for belts? Do you typically replace a belt as soon as any cracks appear? Or do people usually run for miles and miles after cracks begin to appear?

Is it safe to travel? Or are we now at a point where the belt could brake soon?

We are in Houston and working our way back to Florida and do not want to have the belt brake while on the road.
Personally I would change them but at a minimum get a set to have with me if that was my coach and I were traveling. If it breaks on the road it will be at the worse possible time and then you are stuck.

Tags
ace, engine, replace