RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:19 AM   #1

Time to Replace Engine Belt?

Our coach has a Cummins Turbocharged 450 ISL. The auxiliary belt has some cracks in it (see pics) and we would appreciate advice as to if it is at a point that it needs to be replaced.

The attached pictures show the cracks that seem to be about 20 to 30% of the depth of the belt. Is that typical for belts? Do you typically replace a belt as soon as any cracks appear? Or do people usually run for miles and miles after cracks begin to appear?

Is it safe to travel? Or are we now at a point where the belt could brake soon?

We are in Houston and working our way back to Florida and do not want to have the belt brake while on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201010_095100_resized.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	304144   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201010_095050_resized.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	304145  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201010_095121_resized.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	304146   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201010_095135_resized.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	304147  

Road-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2020, 10:22 AM   #2

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Chi View Post
Our coach has a Cummins Turbocharged 450 ISL. The auxiliary belt has some cracks in it (see pics) and we would appreciate advice as to if it is at a point that it needs to be replaced.

The attached pictures show the cracks that seem to be about 20 to 30% of the depth of the belt. Is that typical for belts? Do you typically replace a belt as soon as any cracks appear? Or do people usually run for miles and miles after cracks begin to appear?

Is it safe to travel? Or are we now at a point where the belt could brake soon?

We are in Houston and working our way back to Florida and do not want to have the belt brake while on the road.
Hi..
Absolutely change... You sure don't want it to snap on the highway...
I would also change the serpentine belt at the same time.. Cheap insurance.. I do both of mine and the idler every 3 or 4 years... Works for me...
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #3

We have a drive of about 1,000 miles to get home in Florida, and would like to avoid replacing the belt while on the road. Can we make it back without too much worry/chance of belt failure? Anyone travel with a belt with cracks in it? If so, how long?

We have a reference for the belt of Goodyear 90871-12005, or Gates 9476 yet the parts stores (i.e., Adv Auto, O'Reilly's) in Houston say they can't get those and Adv Auto says they can provide "an equivalent belt" by Jayco. Can a mobile RV tech change the belt?
Road-Chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:36 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
I would drive home but having all the belts changed would be my top priority before my next trip.
Old 10-10-2020, 11:41 AM   #5

Replace belts

The belt replacement will be the same. But the $500 to $700 dollar towing charge should be your guide.
We Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:41 AM   #6

Good morning Road-Chi; Yes, a mobile tech. could change the belt. Looking at the pictures you posted is that belt for the dash A/C compressor? If so, if it let loose, the only thing you would be without would your dash A/C. Not the end of the world, just a little inconvenient. With belts it is hard to tell how long they will last. You probably have no idea how long the belt has been in that condition. Just guessing here. If the belt was the drive belt for the water pump and the alternator that would be another story and I would get it replaced right away. I am also guessing that your ISL is set up the same as on my 01 Windsor with an ISC. A serpentine belt for the engine water pump and the alternator and a V belt for the dash A/C. I carry spares for both. Got my serpentine belt from Cummin's and the A/C V belt from a local auto parts store.

Hope this info helps in your decision and have a safe trip home!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:44 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Chi View Post
We have a drive of about 1,000 miles to get home in Florida, and would like to avoid replacing the belt while on the road. Can we make it back without too much worry/chance of belt failure? Anyone travel with a belt with cracks in it? If so, how long?
Nobody can guarantee you that!
Old 10-10-2020, 11:56 AM   #8

….IMHO, I think an owner should be capable of changing a belt on the road...you can practice at home with new belts and carry the old belts, or new ones as a back-up.... in OP's case the belt in question is an aux. for the AC compressor so all you would lose is dash air....many ISL engines have a single serpentine belt so a replacement is needed to proceed....sorry, just cant imagine calling a tow truck for a broken belt--$$$$$
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:02 PM   #9

From your photo , I'll assume that you have a side radiator coach , and this would be a wide angle photo ( below ) of your set up .

Get new belts to carry with you and if you don't DIY then at least when you call for help on the road you can tell a mobile mechanic service " I have the belts ; but can't change them." That will speed up any response considerably.

BTW. On a side rad set up I'd consider replacing the two belts on your engine a 1/2 hour operation even for a first timer.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2020, 12:05 PM   #10

Belts are relatively cheap. Easy to change.
As said tows are not.
I would change it or at least buy a spare.
Good luck
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #11

Looks like the belt in question is for the AC compressor. As long as you can live without that for a few hours I wouldn’t worry about it much. I agree with changing all the belts. The idler and tensioner should be changed at the same time. Just my two cents.
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:15 PM   #12

I'd definately change both belts asap. AC belts have been known to break and throw the main serpentine belt when they fly off. Not a good thing to have happen in the middle of nowhere. And when they do, without belt in hand or a part number it can be challenging to get the correct size.
Save the old belts for emergency spares...or just buy two of everything.
If yours is a side radiator a belt change takes about 10 minutes.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:19 PM   #13

change that belt, the Serpintins belt and the radiator hose at the same time. Any auto mechanic can do it. No need for an RV dealer. If that belt breaks it can take out young radiator. Also cheaper than road service.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:52 PM   #14

ooops----I keep forgetting about rear radiator rigs--even a belt replacement is difficult on the side of the road.....may God bless you all with rear-radiators....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, engine, replace