RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-03-2020, 03:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Transfer Pump just started leaking

About 3 weeks ago I did some maintenance on my rig, Air Filter, Dryer Filter, and greased the chassis. I also did a visual inspection of the top and bottom of the engine, transmission, and brakes. I didn't seen anything out of the ordinary.

Yesterday when I went to take the rig to fuel up and drive it I couldn't get it to start and as part of my troubleshooting I crawled under the rig and again didn't see any problems. I ultimately found that I had hit my rear start switch, got the rig running and drove it for about an hour.

Today I noticed a wet spot under the engine and crawled underneath and found fuel dripping down the starter.

Dang, lift pump was leaking fuel and looked like a decent amount based on the side of the wet spot.

I went ahead and tightened the three bolts holding the pump onto the base, they seemed to be loose, I tightened them all up. I wiped off all the fuel and cycled the fuel pump probably 20 times as I was also working in another problem. It would run for 1 minute and then stop.

At the end I could not see any evidence of fuel leaking.

I do have a replacement gasket and will install that if the leak continues and then replace the pump if needed.

So my question is for those of you who have had a leaking transfer pump and just tightened the bolts, did it work, did you have another leak.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2020, 03:25 PM   #2

….yup, I tightened the three bolts 2 or 3 times but it always leaked after awhile.... didn't know the torque spec for the bolts so had to guess....finally had to replace the lift pump....the problem with a leaky pump is not so much the fuel being leaked out, its the air being sucked in.....if so equipped, replacing the CAPS injector pump due to fuel starvation will be a major expense....
PS-- the new lift pump has machine rivets so no bolts to check/tighten.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 03:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Ö.yup, I tightened the three bolts 2 or 3 times but it always leaked after awhile.... didn't know the torque spec for the bolts so had to guess....finally had to replace the lift pump....the problem with a leaky pump is not so much the fuel being leaked out, its the air being sucked in.....if so equipped, replacing the CAPS injector pump due to fuel starvation will be a major expense....
PS-- the new lift pump has machine rivets so no bolts to check/tighten.....
Spot on advice OldScout^^^
Or bypass it and install a FASS or AirDog lift pump as an upgrade to insure the CAPS injector pump never suffers fuel starvation, the #1 CAPS pump killer.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 05:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sucking air is my biggest concern and understand the consequences to the injector pump.

I'll keep an eye on it and start checking sources and prices for a new pump.

They didn't make it easy to get at and besides that there is a plate mounted to the pump bracket that supports some sort of wiring harness. I can get to it from the bedroom access hatch but it is tight quarters working blind on some of it.
Old 11-04-2020, 01:36 PM   #5

i have the same issue. I decided to bite the bullet and change the pump. That pump (ELECTRONIC FUEL LIFT PUMP #5362269) is hard to come by, most suppliers are out of stock and have them back ordered. I was luck to find one at M&D https://www.mddistributorsstore.com

The install looks to be a knuckle and head banger. Can't Wait ! (not)
Brboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brboatman View Post
i have the same issue. I decided to bite the bullet and change the pump. That pump (ELECTRONIC FUEL LIFT PUMP #5362269) is hard to come by, most suppliers are out of stock and have them back ordered. I was luck to find one at M&D https://www.mddistributorsstore.com

The install looks to be a knuckle and head banger. Can't Wait ! (not)

Did you get the install kit which consists of the O-Rings???
Old 11-05-2020, 07:11 AM   #7

Yes, the parts guy I spoke with suggested that. It should arrive tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder.
Brboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:28 PM   #8

I went through this last year, leaking lift pump was replaced. This year the injector/high pressure pump fuel distributor module failed, replaced at Cummins Great Plains. The service manager said they normally replace both high pressure pump and lift pump at the same time, lift pump failing will cause the HP pump to also fail. The transient suppressor must also be replaced when working on the high pressure pump or the factory warranty is voided.
Yes replacment pumps are scarce due to this pandemic, production was halted for 4 months, then very slowly resumed. This created a huge back-log of orders, and higher prices resulting from safety and health measures required to protect workers.
Last July I paid $5K to have the 12v fuel distributor module and transient suppressor on the high pressure pump replaced. A new HP pump was $10k including labor at that time.
This is a Cummins repair shop and they could not obtain Cummins parts same-day or overnight as they normally could, it took a week to get my remanufactured fuel distributor module.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:54 PM   #9
Boe

There nothing wrong with the pump zero wrong the gasket doesn’t like the diesel. Just change the gasket it’s easy and you’ll stop sucking air. Once again there is zero wrong with lift pump no need to change
Boe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 10:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boe View Post
There nothing wrong with the pump zero wrong the gasket doesnít like the diesel. Just change the gasket itís easy and youíll stop sucking air. Once again there is zero wrong with lift pump no need to change
I read about that after the new pump. i have the old one in my garage, just have to buy a new gasket. I saw a link in one of the threads similar to this one.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 08:42 AM   #11

Morning everyone, so i saw boatmans post that hes going to change his lift pump, from someone who was just under my own rig installing a bypass hose around my lift pump ( due to i installed a FASS fuel pump upstream) my biggest challange was cracking the line loose. The fitting in the pump had to be held while turning the fuel line nut, theres just no room for a second pair of hands in there. However i can say i got it done, time to bypass the pump was a little over 2 hrs. I could have shaved 30 min off if i had a ground crew to help... fetching tools, leaning in from above the engine to hold or tap with a hammer. My 1 bit of advise put a jack stand or a log in case the jacks quit or ??? Good luck
Old 11-08-2020, 12:25 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
When I first started reading about the transfer pump leaking I found a copy of the TSB which listed the part numbers of the gasket. There is not an OEM Cummins gasket, they do not sell (I guess they want to sell the whole pump for ~$500).
I did find a source and bought a spare gasket for ~$8 about 4 years ago from Capital Volvo
Montgomery AL

334-262-8856

Gasket PN 4928511 $6.71 + $1 shipping
Old 11-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #13

….before I opted to replace my lift pump--second time on my 2003 400ISL, first time was under Cummins warranty; I was researching the idea of a gasket replacement....best I could find, there were several gaskets available from a few different sources.....the problem I found was that based on several different pump serial numbers over the years, there were also several gasket numbers based on a specific pump application--perhaps the gaskets are enough alike that it really doesn't matter--but no longer an issue form me--oh bother…
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak