Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:04 AM   #1

Turbo Blanket

Has anyone put a turbo heat blanket on their ISC 8.3L 350hp. The blankets are very big in boating, smaller Cummins and racing applications. Just curious if it would be practical/useful on the larger Cummins. Tests show quicker spool up, more HP and slight fuel economy increase.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2017, 12:28 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you want the turbo hotter for longevity? Turbos are big bucks. Cool air is denser. Too hot of oil is not good. Compressed air out of turbo is 400+F now. More hot air to cool in CAC. A blanket is probably a hot rodders trick.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:06 PM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
I'm certain in the Marine application the turbo is water cooled. As well as many large industrial engines
I've seen exhaust system covering on gen-set and other industrial setups but there were for keeping Engine compartment cooler, not aware of any HP advantage....seems like intake air would be hotter, on road engines use charge air cooler too cool intake air

But this ain't my area.....lol
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
Has anyone put a turbo heat blanket on their ISC 8.3L 350hp. The blankets are very big in boating, smaller Cummins and racing applications. Just curious if it would be practical/useful on the larger Cummins. Tests show quicker spool up, more HP and slight fuel economy increase.
What tests? Do you have these tests?
Old 08-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
What tests? Do you have these tests?

Tests I saw were for pulling tractors, and some from Formula off shore racing division. Points made are all good ones. Overall it doesn't appear that benefits would outweigh the negatives. Was only asking to see if it had been tried. ROI looks like this idea isn't worth pursuing. PS only cooling on marine engines is the exhaust after turbo and intercooler.
Mike_Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #6

Of course I can't remember the forum I read this in, but...

I've read where a few owners had installed turbo blankets on their coaches. Believe it was for CAT Big Blocks, for some reason I think it was a small group of Patriot Thunder 455 or 505 CATS in them. 4 or 5 of them at a rally. The idea was to keep their turbo's cooler, via the blankets.

I bet Brett Wolfe on FMCA or FMCA's Diesel Power Club would have some input on this. I also believe seeing Pittsburgh Diesel advertising turbo blankets for bigger block engines, and they usually target the trucking industry.

I'll be dropping in on the Diesel Power Club forum later today, and will see if I can find any posts. If not, will post and ask...

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:48 PM   #7

@Mike_Harriet

Nope, I've worked on many marine engines, coolant circulating through the exhaust housing on turbo.

Note the big threaded holes in exhaust housing... coolant routes though exhaust manifold, turbo exhaust housing and exits out exhaust pipe just after turbo... exhaust routing and placement is critical on marine engine.

Your correct that intercooler is also water cooled but that's intake compressor side of turbo....just like the charge air cooler on a Motorcoach
Old 08-07-2017, 04:51 PM   #8

Opps....heres Pic of water cooled turbo

Name:   IHL170-032-0148(1).jpg
Views: 488
Size:  12.9 KB
Old 08-07-2017, 06:00 PM   #9

In 04 when Cummins went to EGR valves on their engines some trucking companies were saying their hoses and belts were not last as long because of the extra heat in the engine area. In 05 I checked the temp in the engine compartment and it was 160 degrees. I then wrap the turbo and complete exhaust system to the tail pipe along with CAC lines and the temp dropped to 140. Also lower the temp in the bedroom when we stopped for the night. A couple years latter I added 2 fans to the back grill area and run them for a half hour after we stop to also cool down bedroom. Think it is a good idea and would think there may be some performance there. Used stainless steel tie wraps to hold heat shield to exhaust system. Can purchase heat wrap from Jeg's and Summit Racing.
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #10

I have driven rigs for over 40 years Never seen one used in my application. Driven the big Cats, C15 550 HP, and the C16 600 HP. In both Peterbilts, and Kenworths. Need the big HP for Lowbed work, 130000 lb weight limits. At 1100 degrees, and 50 lbs of boost, I would want my turbo to Loose as Much Heat as Possible.
1doodadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:24 PM   #11

I put a turbo blanket on my 5.9b and the turbo heated up so much that the high temp paint burned off. Considering that these turbos are hot nearly all the time they are going down the road, there is no need for a blanket.
I saw no gains when mine was on..

Skip H.
sjholt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:37 PM   #12

The paint will burn off at 1200 to 1500 degrees even without blanket. The turbo blanket lets the turbo cool down slower which is better for turbo and exhaust manifold not to crack.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:59 PM   #13

https://www.heatshieldproducts.com/a...o-heat-shields
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #14

Excellent web site for those who would like to wrap turbo and exhaust system.