Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2021, 03:13 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Turbo for -2004 Monaco Cayman w/ Cummins 300 HP ISB engine

Need to replace my turbo on my 2004 Cummins 300 ISB engine (114,000 miles) due to a bearing failure. I have seen turbos for my engine from $3500 new from Cummins down to rebuilds on line around $700-$4000
What brands of new turbo are good? Is Cummins the best source of the part?
Is a rebuilt turbo a good way to go?
and which brands?
Cost to replace - based on how many man hours?
Thank you in advance for your response’s
NOTE was getting white smoke at Idle for the past 6,000 miles and it used 1 Qt of oil /800 miles. i should have inspected the turbos inlet and out lit for oil leakage and maybe averted this break down just outside Cortes Co.
Pschweizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2021, 03:52 AM   #2

It's no secret that "Holset" is the OEM provider to Cummins for their Turbochargers. So, if you can get the part number off your turbo, I think you'll find it is less expensive to purchase it from a diesel parts retailer that sells Holset turbos.

A "remanufactured" turbo is an alternative to cut some of your cost, but I would only consider that option if the re-build was done by "Holset"....just my opinion.

Not sure if you have the mechanical skills, but replacing the turbo is basically cut and paste. Take a bunch of photos first, remove the old one and replace it with the new one.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, contact a mobile diesel mechanic in your area and get a quote from them....they are typically cheaper than a Cummins Service Center.

Truck stops, inluding Loves, Pilot/Flying J, are a good resource for mobile diesel mechanics as they are often affiliated with roadside assistance calls for repairs.

"Goggle" mobile diesel mechanic near me and see what comes up.

Just some thoughts.....
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 07:18 AM   #3

What kind of damage was there to the compressor wheel? Always change the air filter and remove and wash out the intake piping. I’ve seen quite a few replacement turbos destroyed by debris from a previous turbo failure. Charge air cooler should be replaced as well. It could have debris of the failure was catastrophic. Engines can and will run away on an oil filled charge air cooler, I have seen it a few times. The most amusing was a brand new recon engine that ran away and scattered its guts on the floor.
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 02:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
If you are back home in Scottsdale, give these folks a call. They are in Phoenix. And, I have used them, great service and friendly attitude.
Tom at Massey's RV & Diesel Repair recommended them to me.

Turbo Auto Diesel Co.
4859 W Van Buren St, Phoenix,
AZ 85043

602 272-5311

Ask for Kenny Sr, if he is there.

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 01:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hello happycarz, I was reading an old thread of yours and I was wondering if you have a schematic of a 2008 Monaco Camelot electrical I am in need of it and I cannot find it thank you
Old 10-18-2021, 05:05 PM   #6

Search member CountryB signature for link to huge assortment of files he has shared. You will need to be on PC app not phone app. Not sure of what years covered but it's many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelman View Post
Hello happycarz, I was reading an old thread of yours and I was wondering if you have a schematic of a 2008 Monaco Camelot electrical I am in need of it and I cannot find it thank you
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 08:03 AM   #7

Turbo Replacement

Not sure if 2004 coach cummins engine's turbo is controlled by a westgate or an actuator. If an electrical actuator it has to be set up with the turbo, via insite software. There are different software programs that can be used. The rebuilder can set this for you, when the rebuild is done.
Not quite a cut and paste.
Basketball

A "remanufactured" turbo is an alternative to cut some of your cost, but I would only consider that option if the re-build was done by "Holset"....just my opinion.

Not sure if you have the mechanical skills, but replacing the turbo is basically cut and paste. Take a bunch of photos first, remove the old one and replace it with the new one.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, contact a mobile diesel mechanic in your area and get a quote from them....they are typically cheaper than a Cummins Service Center.

Truck stops, inluding Loves, Pilot/Flying J, are a good resource for mobile diesel mechanics as they are often affiliated with roadside assistance calls for repairs.

"Goggle" mobile diesel mechanic near me and see what comes up.

Just some thoughts.....[/QUOTE]
basketball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 08:31 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you everyone located factory rebuilt Holset turbo $2250. Free shipping $500 core deposit w/ free return shipping lable. Next day air add $63.
Turbochargersdirect.com

Moved RV yesterday to a tusted shopp recommended by local Cortez Co. Monoco owners the Percell's. will take a few weeks to gather up all parts as if actually broken CAC will need to be rebuilt w new core or one made tried several good sources and all have a few weeks to make n ship.
If ever in area Do Not use Kustom Diesel Repair KDR, to tow or repair. The owner does not communicate and his attitude is like a dictator and you work for him. Cost me $1500 but I am free from prison, after 3 1/2 weeks n still no estimate or photos of damaged parts of turbo, cracked exhaust header and leaking CAC. Cost me $600 1st tow 10 miles to his shop $300 diagnostic $600 to to to another shop 8 miles. He would not allow another tow co. (Able Towing, only 1 other in town) to access his lot n tow it. Able was reccomend by 2 other shops and1/2 the price.
Old 11-01-2021, 08:13 AM   #9

Did your turbo come complete with a Actuator? If not your actuator will have to be parred with the rebuilt turbo. Cummins Insite software will be required on site.

Keep us posted.
Old 11-01-2021, 09:11 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Found a Holset Mfg rebuit Turbo for by 300 ISB enging at Turbochargersdirect.com. or 888-718-8726 Price included shipping and return shipping for the Core which requires only a $500 core charge compaired to others requiring anywhere up to a $750 core deposit,
Old 11-04-2021, 09:26 AM   #11

Are you on the road again?

Keep us posted on outcome of your turbo c/w actuator.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:09 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Turbo UPDATE

See attached pics Turbo blades broken due to sgaft bearing faikure causing blades to hit turbo walls. Exhaust mnifold is cracked just before turbo mount flange, they will be removing CAC for beter visual inspection as we suspect core may be damaged from blades, piping and air filter OK some slight oil in pipe to CAC as wwould be expected
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turbo  w broken blades.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	348281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Turbo inlet.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	348282  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cracked exhaust manifold at turbo mount.jpg