Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2022, 01:37 PM   #1

Turbo pipe leak

Is there a way to get this connection to 100% sealed?
I just noticed it is blowing a nice Breese at an idle.. mine does not have any type of gasket.. aluminum on aluminum with a stainless clamp..
Am I missing something??
98 5.9 24 valveClick image for larger version

Name:	20220116_113802.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	353963
98fleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2022, 08:25 PM   #2

Turbo pipe leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98fleetwood View Post
Is there a way to get this connection to 100% sealed?
I just noticed it is blowing a nice Breese at an idle.. mine does not have any type of gasket.. aluminum on aluminum with a stainless clamp..
Am I missing something??
98 5.9 24 valveAttachment 353963

Take it apart and clean the carbon out. CAT makes some ceramic exhaust connection sealant. I don’t know the part number. Might need a new clamp?

Edit: duh, I see it’s the intake side. Surfaces have to meet flat and yes a new clamp may help as the taper on the old clamp may be spread out.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 04:41 AM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don't see any witness marks for a leak, where is it? Did you just take it apart?
There is no gasket on that joint but appears that it is installed crooked, or is it just the camera angle?
Old 01-17-2022, 07:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer1 View Post
I don't see any witness marks for a leak, where is it? Did you just take it apart?
There is no gasket on that joint but appears that it is installed crooked, or is it just the camera angle?
It is leaking out where the nut and bolt squeeze it together..
I agree it looks crooked.. I bought this coach melted down and tore apart.. 2500 miles now.. was making sure I wasn't missing some kind of gasket.. hopefully it's just not mating properly!
Thx
Old 01-17-2022, 08:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Take it apart and clean the carbon out. CAT makes some ceramic exhaust connection sealant. I don’t know the part number. Might need a new clamp?

Edit: duh, I see it’s the intake side. Surfaces have to meet flat and yes a new clamp may help as the taper on the old clamp may be spread out.
Is there a go to spot to get new clamps?
I know of atheist 1 more I would like to replace!
Thx
Old 01-17-2022, 08:11 AM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Try and tighten the clamp a little more....
If still leaking, take it apart and lightly clean the mating surfaces on both ends ....

Also sometimes these clamps stretch if someone went impact use on them, and need replacement

A leak there is a boost leak, so if you feel it at idle, it's a major leak under engine load.

You should be able to get that clamp at any heavy truck dealer or big truck parts place like Fleetpride
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:26 AM   #7

I would line it up and crank that clamp down a little tighter. Worst case you can get a v band clamp at almost any parts store.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 08:56 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
If it has been run with it loose for a long time, likely the mating surfaces are damaged. You might be able to seal it with some sealant if it is damaged. At the least, put a new clamp on.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 09:06 AM   #9

Yup, take it apart.

"Resurface" both halves-- Some wet dry sandpaper on a sheet of glass works well for the part you can remove.

Then make sure the two pieces are square before installing and tightening the clamp. If you need a new clamp, any parts house that caters to the OTR truck trade should have one in stock.
Old 01-17-2022, 09:19 AM   #10

As mentioned if you can feel it leak at idle it’s a major leak under power and you should see some major gain in horsepower when you get it sealed up.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:48 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
As mentioned if you can feel it leak at idle it’s a major leak under power and you should see some major gain in horsepower when you get it sealed up.
When you buy the clamp pay attention to the dimension "C" in the photo. If you get one that is too large it wont seal. Possibly the last guy that worked on your turbo used the wrong clamp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V-Band Clamp sizes.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	354103  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 04:42 AM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
When you buy the clamp pay attention to the dimension "C" in the photo. If you get one that is too large it wont seal. Possibly the last guy that worked on your turbo used the wrong clamp.

Is there a way to determine what dimension C needs to be unless you pull the old clamp out and measure while the pipe is still there?
Doesn't the tube dia & dim B (diameter at the flare) determine that?

A note of caution to OP, that clamp has a pretty small bolt and can't take much torque. When I removed the old exhaust, that bolt snapped right off without hardly any effort.
I took the old clamp to Fleetpride and they got me a new one.
The new clamp had the torque spec on the box. Can't recall but it was not much.
The old clamp had caked into the turbo and pipe so well that I had to beat it out.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:12 AM   #13

Thx everyone! Once again this group is Awesome! It ended up not being all the way seated... and there was an orange rubber o-ring on it (never looked at it that closely)..
I bought the master rebuild kit back when I rebuilt the engine... looked through my left over gaskets and there was an o-ring... didn't look bad but I replaced it anyway... no leaks now!

Tags
leak, turbo