RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:47 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Turn the ignition and nothing happens

Question for the group of experts in here. I have had the coach for a month and a half now. I have taken it out twice to just some short camping trips about an hour away. This has happened to me twice, and luckly at home. I turn the ignition and nothing happens. Batteries are good, and everything seems to check out. I contacted the previous owner because I was thinking something electrical or a safety of some sort must be happening and maybe he knew the trick. He told me it happened to him once at a rest stop. He said an old timer came over and took a wrench to his belt in the back and turn the engine just a bit. Went inside and it fired right up.

Now I'm thinking electrical and was like ok, whatever until I couldn't find anything else, I decided to try. Sure enough she fired right up. When it happened again I knew just what to do and same thing, fired up. The question is should I be concerned about this, or just carry the wrench? And, has anyone else experienced this?

We are talking about a 1995 HR imperial 8.3 300hp. Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Not being there it is hard to know for sure what to say but the first thing I would look for is whether you hear the starter click when you turn the key. You would probably need someone standing outside near the starter to confirm this. If it clicks then the starter is not engaging the flywheel which would mean either a bad starter or a bad flywheel. Turning the belt probably moves the flywheel enough to line up the starter with another tooth on the flywheel.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:21 AM   #3

The solenoid on the starter also could be going bad......they offer a contact kit for mine....
Old 09-10-2020, 07:36 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mine has done that a few times over the years ... turn the key an nothing, turn it again and it starts normally. 17 years and over 120k on it now.
Blog at www.pjrider.com
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:47 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I just went thru something like this, but mine was nothing happens as in dash doesn't light, or does light up at first click (accessory) but then blanks out and nothing nothing at ignition click.

Turned out to be a loose wire on the ignition switch of all things.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:06 AM   #6

Follow your engine battery to the starter solenoid. Then check for voltage when your friend turns the key at the low current side (the switch) and on the high voltage side to the starter. ...And then you will know if the solenoid is bad or if the starter is bad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1 Starter & Solenoid Picture.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	302861   Click image for larger version

Name:	2004 Starter Moter Circiut - 2004 Itasca Horizon (ISC-350) with Freightliner Chassis.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	302862  

TM2H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 07:02 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Last year I had a starter problem with really fooled me. Went to start and it turned over so slow that I thought the batteries took a dump. Bought new batteries and same thing. found the starter was NG. Also my progressive three stage house charger was gone and later discovered a problem with the norcold. Ordered on line a new starter and all was good after install. Never needed the batteries. Replace the Charger and found an intermittent soldered pin on the connector of the main board.

My theory is that we got a lightening hit during a storm and it blew out all that plus the solder on the board, it worked fine after resoldering the connector.

Tags
ignition