Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #1

Two year old fuel

I haven't been able to use my MH in over 2 years. Too many things failing and not enough time to fix them.

A few years back I had the high pressure fuel pump fail and it cost big bucks to fix. I have heard that old/gelled fuel might have been a contributing factor so I would like to avoid that.

I put octane boost in the tank on my last fuel up years ago but I don't remember if I put stabilizer in. Too long ago - yes I need to write stuff down.

So, a few questions. How can I test the quality of the fuel in my tank? Or should I just assume it is stale and not take any chances and remove the fuel?

What is the best way to drain the tank? Does Harbor Freight have cheap pumps, should I just siphon? Do I have to worry about getting every last bit or can I drain it down to a few gallons and add new fuel to dilute the old?

Do I need to worry about the filters before hand, or should I wait until the new fuel is in the system and then replace?

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2020, 10:07 AM   #2

I take it your coach is a diesel powered unit. Unlike gasoline, diesel fuel does not go bad while sitting. The only thing that could happen with diesel fuel in warm, humid climates is microbe growth. Since you added a Cetane booster before storage you MAY be in good shape as to microbe growth. I would get some Biobor JF fuel treatment and add about 4 oz to your tank and start it up and drive to a location and top off the tank with fresh fuel. Then buy a new set of fuel filters and drive the coach for couple hundred miles and have the fuel filters changed and checked for trash in the filters. If any is found the filters may have to be replaced two or three more times after driving.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
I take it your coach is a diesel powered unit. Unlike gasoline, diesel fuel does not go bad while sitting. The only thing that could happen with diesel fuel in warm, humid climates is microbe growth. Since you added a Cetane booster before storage you MAY be in good shape as to microbe growth. I would get some Biobor JF fuel treatment and add about 4 oz to your tank and start it up and drive to a location and top off the tank with fresh fuel. Then buy a new set of fuel filters and drive the coach for couple hundred miles and have the fuel filters changed and checked for trash in the filters. If any is found the filters may have to be replaced two or three more times after driving.
Excellent advice
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 12:31 PM   #4

I'm liking that advice to the alternative of a messy job. Thanks.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqguy View Post
I'm liking that advice to the alternative of a messy job. Thanks.
TIP: When you plan to park your diesel engine for an extended period, always fill the tank just prior. This reduces the chance of condensation in the empty part of the tank that is caused by normal day/night temperature fluctuations.

True story; Years ago I bought an old Case diesel tractor, it was parked in an old fence-row with a 4" tree growing up through the frame. After clearing everything away from the tractor I drained the fuel tank and sediment bulb, replaced filters. Then I poured the diesel fuel off the top of the water, strained the fuel again through a fine screen and replaced it it the tank. I installed a new battery, turned on the key, pressed the starter button and it fired up. Diesel fuel will not "go bad", it can become contaminated. This bio-diesel mix can stratify when undisturbed long-term, however the engine should still run OK.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 10:08 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
Because our Boston could not travel anymore, we didn't go anywhere for two years. During that time, my 2012 F-450 was sitting idle except when I took it in every six months for oil change. When I was getting the trailer ready for our first trip, after we had to let our Boston go, I was returning home and the engine light came on. The next morning I took the F-450 to the Ford truck center. The diagnostics indicated low pressure in the high pressure fuel pump. The pump failed and there were metal shavings throughout the fuel system. Don't know what caused the fuel pump failure, they didn't find any water or any other contaminants, other than the metal shavings, in the tanks or anywhere in the fuel system.

It took a mechanic three days to clean and replace the fuel system. And you can say all you want about maintenance contracts. That one repair paid for the seven year maintenance contract and then some. I made out like a bandit on this one.
CARLnJANIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:44 PM   #7

ResqGuy: How much fuel is in your tank?

Here's what I would do:

A) Add a biocide and let it sit for 2 days. Then start.

B) Fill the tank to dilute the fuel you have with fresh diesel (non-microbial diesel.)

C) Install a FASS or AirDog pump so you don't loose your CAPS injection system again. $670 at Parleys Diesel + $150 of other parts + labor. Here's how:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/cum...mp-458337.html

Hint: After you easily mount the FASS 100GPH pump in your engine bay like I did, you can quickly pump all the fuel out of your tank if you think you need to, but my guess is that you don't have to worry about that.

Since we have the same coach you can private message me for help with your other systems.

Whatever you need to do to your Vectra it's worth doing! The 2004 -2006 years were the best Winnebago ever made!
imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel