Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > POWER TRAIN GARAGE FORUMS > Cummins Engines
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2022, 06:00 PM   #1

Upper radiator hose blew off

I have a 2012 Discovery with an 8.3 ISC 380hp. It has about 30,000 mile on it now. I bought it 2 years ago with 18k.
This past weekend I was taking a short trip to a winery and about 30 minutes in, as I exited down a highway ramp, it blew the upper radiator hose off at the radiator. I saw the stripe of fluid on the pavement down the ramp. By the bottom of the ramp, the temp gauge was climbing. I pulled into a gravel lot just as the check engine, low coolant, high temp warnings flashed on the dash.

The hose appeared fine, so I put it back on, filled up the radiator and drove the 20 miles to the winery without any issues. The next 2 days, I drove another 150 miles and everything seems fine. A friend with a slightly older coach with a 330HP ISB said his did the same thing a few years ago. He blamed it on the exhaust brake. I did have the exhaust brake on when mine did it, but I can't think why that would matter. I did notice the fan clutch engaging a little more often on my last bigger trip to Door County (1000 mile round trip). It wasn't excessively hot. The overflow bottle always showed between the Min-Max lines, so it wasn't low on antifreeze.

I plan on replacing the hoses and clamps, but I'm leaving for a 3000 mile trip to Key West and I'm alittle concerned it will do it again.

Anyone had this happen and figured out why?
Vizjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2022, 03:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Install a new quality hose with quality stainless steel clamps. Inspect and clean the connectors when you get the old hose off.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizjedi View Post
I have a 2012 Discovery with an 8.3 ISC 380hp. It has about 30,000 mile on it now. I bought it 2 years ago with 18k.
This past weekend I was taking a short trip to a winery and about 30 minutes in, as I exited down a highway ramp, it blew the upper radiator hose off at the radiator. I saw the stripe of fluid on the pavement down the ramp. By the bottom of the ramp, the temp gauge was climbing. I pulled into a gravel lot just as the check engine, low coolant, high temp warnings flashed on the dash.

The hose appeared fine, so I put it back on, filled up the radiator and drove the 20 miles to the winery without any issues. The next 2 days, I drove another 150 miles and everything seems fine. A friend with a slightly older coach with a 330HP ISB said his did the same thing a few years ago. He blamed it on the exhaust brake. I did have the exhaust brake on when mine did it, but I can't think why that would matter. I did notice the fan clutch engaging a little more often on my last bigger trip to Door County (1000 mile round trip). It wasn't excessively hot. The overflow bottle always showed between the Min-Max lines, so it wasn't low on antifreeze.

I plan on replacing the hoses and clamps, but I'm leaving for a 3000 mile trip to Key West and I'm alittle concerned it will do it again.

Anyone had this happen and figured out why?
What vito.a said. It was more than likely the original hose and clamps. Replace and inspect your other hoses and clamps before leaving for your trip. Heat and the cooling process can sometimes lead to this, just give a good pull and twist on all of your water hoses and you will find out if anymore are loose. Good luck and enjoy your trip
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 09:23 PM   #4

I have no doubt the hose and clamps were original. I ordered upper and lower hoses today at Freightliner Service Center along with new T-bolt clamps. The 1 upper hose was twice the price of the 3 lower hoses combined.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would use the constant tension clamp. It has a spring so as the clamp expands with heat it takes up the slack in tension. You should be able to get them at frightliner
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 10:15 PM   #6

Putting the clamp right at the end of the hose can cause leaks, and if it sits on the raised lip on the radiator outlet it can slide back and allow a blow off.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:26 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I learned that you can dump 19 gallons of coolant in about 30 seconds when a $2 clamp fails. So along with spending over $300 on coolant you can bet I also put on new, better quality clamps everywhere.
Old 09-23-2022, 05:47 AM   #8

Since your going to change out the coolant, this is what Cummins recommended (see attached) I put in my 2012 Discovery.

Also, while your at it, carefully inspect your coolant reservoir with a strong flashlight and mechanics mirror as you are reaching the point of where the polyethylene tanks begins cracking from UV degredation.

Right now, those tanks are nowhere to be found due to supply chain problems.
Name:   es%20compleat%20oat.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  7.6 KB
Toribk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 05:34 PM   #9

I ordered new tension clamps from Freightliner when I ordered the hoses. I build and race sports cars, so should be good getting the hose and clamp positioned right. I'm still trying to see what coolant meets the Cummins spec that isn't so pricey, but will probably pick up a bunch at Freightliner when the hoses come in.

Now I just have to keep an eye on the tropics for the developing storm that has Key West in its sights.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:51 PM   #10

When I changed my Horton Fan clutch I replaced some of the clamps and double clamped the ones I did not replace.
Worked good for about 2 months, then a hose blew off.
It was a hose that feed tha trany cooler. This was a formed hose with a spring inside to keep the form. I do believe that the spring moved and ended up under the hose clamp.
It did not leak but it did blow off. There goes the coolent.

Beware when removing the hose that the formed spring is down in the hose and not under the T bolt clamp.
basketball is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hose, radiator